LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 12-13-2017, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Grease remote differential on 926004

I have a 2005 926004 with the differential that manually locks with the handlebar lever. Six years ago, the shop replaced the differential and right axle because the splines on them had stripped. The drive failed this year and I’ve discovered that the differential spring has failed. I am going to replace it myself this time and want to know if I should pack the differential with grease before installing it. If so, does the diff need to be regularly repacked? Is not greasing it why the spring keeps failing? I ask because there is no mention of this in the recommended regular maintenance.

Last edited by sjeppell; 12-13-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-14-2017, 07:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Hi

I have a similar unit and the differential (manual locker with the lever) has quit working. It never worked right.

There is a kit ariens sells and the kit replaces that complete axle and upgrades to the current diff (auto turn) used in current production.

I'd look at that first. I saw the kit a bunch of places for sale. https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ja...riens/72600900

Why get another locking diff like the one you have. It may fail again in short order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeppell View Post
I have a 2005 926004 with the differential that manually locks with the handlebar lever. Six years ago, the shop replaced the differential and right axle because the splines on them had stripped. The drive failed this year and Iíve discovered that the differential spring has failed. I am going to replace it myself this time and want to know if I should pack the differential with grease before installing it. If so, does the diff need to be regularly repacked? Is not greasing it why the spring keeps failing? I ask because there is no mention of this in the recommended regular maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page