post #1 of 106 Old 12-14-2017, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 3
Ariens Pro 28 vs Pro 28 Hydro

Hi all,
Ive been searching around for a snow blower and think I've narrowed it down to either the Ariens Pro 28 or Pro 28 Hydro. Simplicity was an option at first but it seems like there pro version uses smaller auger etc, and the engine makes less power.

I'm trying to buy a blower once that is going to last me for years to come. With that said is the Hyrdo worth the extra money? The hydro also comes with Ariens own engine vs the Briggs on the standard pro, but I dont know much about Ariens own brand engine. Just trying to get some feedback from you guys on the two and if the Hydro is worth the extra $$.

Oh and the blower will be used personally for my own driveway along with Father/grandfathers when the big storms come, not commercial use.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 Old 12-14-2017, 02:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 128
Thanks (Received): 119
Likes (Given): 271
Likes (Received): 140
While I can't compare the two you mentioned, I can compare my, now back-up, 2015 Platinum 24 SHO that uses the friction disc and my 2018 Pro Hydro 28 (EFI) that I used for the first time yesterday.

I almost didn't respond because my driveway is in the minority. Even though I've posted this picture before it shows the main part of our driveway that goes down to almost the yellow house in the background, over 200 yds., mostly through open field.

Here's why I'm really diggin' the hydrostatic drive. Yesterday I only had to do a quick clean up of drifts before the main event arrived, but it was typical conditions for me. In the 200 yds. I had clear areas with four areas that were drifted. In the past, as I was transitioning from the clear areas to the drifts I would have to stop multiple times to shift to a slower speed and do the reverse when working my way back out of the drifts. Now I just speed up or slow down on the fly and even though it's too soon to tell, it seems like I have more speed choices than with my friction disc Platinum SHO. I was glad to find out that reverse on the hydro was faster than the Platinum's.

Another reason I chose the hydro was that I wore out the friction disc & belt on my SHO in less than two seasons, which the dealer covered under warranty even though I told him about my driveway, which I'm sure is why they went so fast. Our driveway is legendary when it comes to snow removal and since I started blowing it 3 years ago its proven a challenge from time to time.

Right now I'm looking at 12-inch + drifts that, from what I could tell in the dark, looked to go down the entire length of the open part of the driveway so I'll have more experience with the 28 hydro later this a.m.....

Here's where I know the hydro will be a big benefit, cleaning out in front of the mailbox on the other side of the road. We live in a rural area but our road does get a decent amount of traffic so I wait for the "all clear" before heading across the road. I usually go slow while doing the mailbox, which is generally like a EOD (End of Driveway) situation and many times have had to stop, kick the SHO up into 6th to get across the road with traffic coming, then, if I'm done with the mailbox, downshift after I get back across. The hydro will make that so much easier.

Hopefully someone with "normal" conditions will respond and be a little more helpful..........

Go left.....No, your other left!
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jcam32, northframingham thanked for this post
Likes northframingham liked this post
post #3 of 106 Old 12-14-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
knu2xs thanks a lot for the response, you definitely have your work cut out for you with that driveway! Although our needs are different, the fact that you went with Ariens for your driveway makes me feel better about narrowing it down to them. Ive searched through this site a bunch and everyone has a different opinion on why toro, simplicity, Honda or Ariens are the best, and the more I read the more I wonder what to buy haha. But your selection definitely helps me feel better that I'm leaning heavily towards Ariens.

Have you had any issues with your new hydro pro 28? There is a thread in here where the user was real unhappy with his new one because it was pouring out oil and he was having issues with getting it fixed.

Anyone else have input or real world use on the hydro version? Still a little undecided if it is worth the extra money and if it is more reliable, longer lasting, as easily serviced etc etc.
post #4 of 106 Old 12-14-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Also, just spoke on the phone with my dealer trying to see the best he would do on the machines. He doesn't have any Pro 28's in stock so he didnt have much wiggle room, but said he could do 2600 for the hydro which he has in stock if that makes any difference in your guys advice
post #5 of 106 Old 12-14-2017, 01:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcam32 View Post
knu2xs thanks a lot for the response, you definitely have your work cut out for you with that driveway!

Have you had any issues with your new hydro pro 28? There is a thread in here where the user was real unhappy with his new one because it was pouring out oil and he was having issues with getting it fixed.

You're welcome! I just finished up my 5 hour job and I'm glad I put up some driveway markers this year. I didn't get out in the field one time, a first!! I started before daylight and if not for those markers it would have looked like I was just going across an open field of snow.

No issues whatsoever and I learned a lot today. The driveway was drifted all the way across and all the way down with depths of 8 to about 18 inches and this was the first time, under those conditions, that I was able to make full auger width passes each and every time. With the SHO after I made my first pass, which has to be full width, I opted for narrower passes. The 420cc engine sure makes a BIG difference......

Edited to add: For the record, the area of the driveway shown in the photo I previously posted took me about 50 minutes today. My 5 hour total includes shovel work, our pole barn driveway as well as lawn and parking areas.

post #6 of 106 Old 12-14-2017, 01:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 98
$2500 cash... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcam32 View Post
Also, just spoke on the phone with my dealer trying to see the best he would do on the machines. He doesn't have any Pro 28's in stock so he didnt have much wiggle room, but said he could do 2600 for the hydro which he has in stock if that makes any difference in your guys advice
post #7 of 106 Old 12-14-2017, 01:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 98
Why in the world do you have chains on those X-Tracs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knu2xs View Post
While I can't compare the two you mentioned, I can compare my, now back-up, 2015 Platinum 24 SHO that uses the friction disc and my 2018 Pro Hydro 28 (EFI) that I used for the first time yesterday.

I almost didn't respond because my driveway is in the minority. Even though I've posted this picture before it shows the main part of our driveway that goes down to almost the yellow house in the background, over 200 yds., mostly through open field.

Here's why I'm really diggin' the hydrostatic drive. Yesterday I only had to do a quick clean up of drifts before the main event arrived, but it was typical conditions for me. In the 200 yds. I had clear areas with four areas that were drifted. In the past, as I was transitioning from the clear areas to the drifts I would have to stop multiple times to shift to a slower speed and do the reverse when working my way back out of the drifts. Now I just speed up or slow down on the fly and even though it's too soon to tell, it seems like I have more speed choices than with my friction disc Platinum SHO. I was glad to find out that reverse on the hydro was faster than the Platinum's.

Another reason I chose the hydro was that I wore out the friction disc & belt on my SHO in less than two seasons, which the dealer covered under warranty even though I told him about my driveway, which I'm sure is why they went so fast. Our driveway is legendary when it comes to snow removal and since I started blowing it 3 years ago its proven a challenge from time to time.

Right now I'm looking at 12-inch + drifts that, from what I could tell in the dark, looked to go down the entire length of the open part of the driveway so I'll have more experience with the 28 hydro later this a.m.....

Here's where I know the hydro will be a big benefit, cleaning out in front of the mailbox on the other side of the road. We live in a rural area but our road does get a decent amount of traffic so I wait for the "all clear" before heading across the road. I usually go slow while doing the mailbox, which is generally like a EOD (End of Driveway) situation and many times have had to stop, kick the SHO up into 6th to get across the road with traffic coming, then, if I'm done with the mailbox, downshift after I get back across. The hydro will make that so much easier.

Hopefully someone with "normal" conditions will respond and be a little more helpful..........
post #8 of 106 Old 12-14-2017, 02:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 9
We just had around 6" of snow and I used my brand new 28 Pro Hydro, with V-chains and Armor Skids and I couldn't believe how easy it maneuvered around cars. I did the driveway like nothing and felt heavy and powerful but spun around with ease, I wouldn't want a lighter machine with less traction and power. I read so much about the auto steer making the machine go left and right and I didn't feel that at all. It went nice and straight no problem. The Hydro did make it very easy to control speed on the fly. It went through about a 10" - 12" of snow at EOD like it wasn't even there, with ZERO tire slippage, very capable machine. Overall, I'm glad I went with the*28 Pro Hydro and doing my driveway once, I see why people go with the Hydro. I'm sure almost any snowblower would of done fine with such little snow. Waiting to really test it in a 2+ foot storm.*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowblower 2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	118370  
post #9 of 106 Old 12-14-2017, 02:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielbasa View Post
Why in the world do you have chains on those X-Tracs?

I started out without them but ordered them the day I got, seriously, stuck in a hard packed drift. It took me about 10 minutes to work my way out and while doing so was thinking how ironic it was going to be to have to go get my shovel to dig my snow blower out.

Today they probably saved my bacon due to an IO problem, which means Idiot Operator, me.........

I went across the road to hit the mailbox and while pivoting around after getting over there slide off in the ditch. Even with the chains I had to stop and get down into the "ditch drift" to get a better angle up the steep slope.

Since I've had chains I haven't been stuck once..........

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #10 of 106 Old 12-14-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielbasa View Post
$2500 cash... ?

He said he could do the $2600 in cash. I don't know if he will go much lower to $2500, but I'm still gunna try to get the best price on whatever machine I do end up picking. Ive bought other equipment there before so he works with me, but I don't know how much more he will be willing to move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page