post #1 of 20 Old 12-16-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 18
Garage
921040 fuel tank shut off valve leak

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find anything in the search area. I have a 3 year old 921040 and just went out to the shed to check it out for the coming snow. Turned on the key, gas valve, choke, throttle and primed 3 times. Fired up on the first pull but then I noticed gas running down over the back of the engine. Shut it down and removed the steel cover over the carb and tank. Looks like the gas is pouring out of the movable part of the shut off valve. Turn the valve off and it stops.

My purchase date was 11/17/14... This sucks because of the fine fall weather we've been having. Haven't needed the blower yet. I contacted Ariens customer support through their website but doubt if they will help me because my warranty just ran out.

Is this a common problem? Is it a fixable valve or do I need to replace it?

Thanks for any help...

Glenn

Ariens Platinum 30 SHO- AX414, 20.0 lb.ft torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-16-2017, 04:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 116
Garage
I have not had that problem with mine, but the threaded portion into the tank has broken and leaked which was my fault. The valve is part of the fitting that screws into the tank, a very easy fix. I don't think the valve can be taken apart to fix a leak.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #3 of 20 Old 12-16-2017, 04:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 44
Is it this motorcycle type with the rubber disc inside? I've drilled out the rivets and replaced the disc inside on petcocks that were unobtainable before but it's cheap enough for you to just get a new one. If these are prone to failure a longer lasting solution might be to get a fitting from the plumbing section of a hardware store with the same threads (don't forget an o-ring) and a barb. Go fitting to hose to a Briggs and Stratton inline shut off back to hose to carb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	768.gif
Views:	141
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	118665  
post #4 of 20 Old 12-16-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhazelton View Post
Is it this motorcycle type with the rubber disc inside? I've drilled out the rivets and replaced the disc inside on petcocks that were unobtainable before but it's cheap enough for you to just get a new one. If these are prone to failure a longer lasting solution might be to get a fitting from the plumbing section of a hardware store with the same threads (don't forget an o-ring) and a barb. Go fitting to hose to a Briggs and Stratton inline shut off back to hose to carb.
Looks identical to this one. I'm guessing the plastic knob just pulls off. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow in the daylight. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Blackstar; 12-18-2017 at 02:02 PM.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-16-2017, 05:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 262
Likes (Received): 140
Glenn, after you get squared away with the leak here's food for thought.

Someone here, who said they were a small engine service tech, advised not shutting the valve off on a regular basis saying that they tend to fail if used very often.

Up to that point I had used mine once and haven't used it since, not even for the off season shut down (2 years.) I treat my gas and siphon out last years fuel at the beginning of the next season and re-fill with fresh, also treated, fuel.

I hope you get your issue resolved with little hassle..........

Go left.....No, your other left!
post #6 of 20 Old 12-16-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knu2xs View Post
Glenn, after you get squared away with the leak here's food for thought.

Someone here, who said they were a small engine service tech, advised not shutting the valve off on a regular basis saying that they tend to fail if used very often.

Up to that point I had used mine once and haven't used it since, not even for the off season shut down (2 years.) I treat my gas and siphon out last years fuel at the beginning of the next season and re-fill with fresh, also treated, fuel.

I hope you get your issue resolved with little hassle..........
I have owned old motorcycles over the past 35-40 years that needed to have the fuel valve shut off because of possible leaking through the carb into the crankcase. Just old habits now with the blower. I do worry about leaks though. This past summer I helped out my neighbour with his lawn tractor. He had a very worn float needle valve in his carb and completely drained his fuel tank into the crankcase. Oil change was so easy... came gushing out of the drain tube... about 1/2 gallon. Second time this happened (about 2 weeks later) I bought him a $5.00 float needle valve and installed it for him. I told him to always shut his fuel off just in case.

I've used this blower for 3 winters and have shut the fuel off every time without problems. Maybe I should try your approach. Thanks for the input.

post #7 of 20 Old 12-16-2017, 05:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 262
Likes (Received): 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstar View Post
I have owned old motorcycles over the past 35-40 years that needed to have the fuel valve shut off because of possible leaking through the carb into the crankcase. Just old habits now with the blower. I do worry about leaks though. This past summer I helped out my neighbour with his lawn tractor. He had a very worn float needle valve in his carb and completely drained his fuel tank into the crankcase. Oil change was so easy... came gushing out of the drain tube... about 1/2 gallon. Second time this happened (about 2 weeks later) I bought him a $5.00 float needle valve and installed it for him. I told him to always shut his fuel off just in case.

I've used this blower for 3 winters and have shut the fuel off every time without problems. Maybe I should try your approach. Thanks for the input.

Glenn, I have considered siphoning out the gas at the end of the season, firing up the blower then letting it run dry, then treating the inside of the metal tank in an effort to prevent rust.

Good luck!
Jack

EDITED to ADD: What the heck, I might as well throw this out there as well. I think it was in the same post, that "service tech" also advised against running the fuel out every time because of a white, powdery, residue that is left behind when gas evaporates out. He even had at least one photo of a carb torn apart showing the white powder in the bowl. He says that its only a matter of time and the "powder" will clog things up.

Go left.....No, your other left!
post #8 of 20 Old 12-16-2017, 05:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Received): 96
Been using Stabil and Seafoam in my gas for all my small engines since i can remember, never run the gas out, leave it in year round. Never had an issue. Note;, I also switched all my summer engines over to a full synthetic 5w-30 as well years ago. I do fire these engines periodically during off season for all the units.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-16-2017, 06:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 14

Saw this on Youtube, but they are cheap to replace .

Mid-1980s Craftsman C950-52677-7
8/25 Tecumseh HM80
1983 10/32 Craftsman C459.52252
HMSK110 re-power
Southern New Brunswick near Bay of Fundy
post #10 of 20 Old 12-17-2017, 10:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 44
^ Good info - I didn't know those just snapped together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page