New owner, used Ariens - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 12-19-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New owner, used Ariens

Ariens Deluxe 30" 921013, Craigslist for $900. Nice guy, original owner, let me look it over carefully, run it. Showed me his receipt from a power equipment dealer where he paid $1500+, two or three years ago? (Comparable newer models at Home Depot, for example, are still $1500). Said that he had used it maybe three hours total. He even added chains to the tires. No wear marks or missing paint in the bucket/augur area. A little wear in the impeller tunnel and in the chute. Only exterior spot that needed touching up was on the outside top edge of the augur bucket where someone must have tipped it over for the service position on to concrete, without a blanket or towel for protection. Asked if he would take $700, then $750 but we settled at $800. Wanted to walk away at $700 but had already driven 45 minutes to just get to his rural WV development, from MD and then went what seemed like miles on really rough private gravel roads to get to his house, plus when one comes up pulling a 23 foot snowmobile trailer to just "look" at a used snowblower, one has already lost some dickering power in the transaction. Anyway, decent guy, though he didn't understand what shear bolts are (two extras mounted on the chute), said that he didn't understand about the disengage/engage lever so it was hard to turn the machine, as "it is not in the manual" (but it is) so he had to call the dealer, the cables were extremely loose, tires low, gas valve left on. Minor stuff. I put the tires at the correct pressure, tightened the flopping tire chains, adjusted the cables, changed the engine oil, added some gear oil, pumped grease in all the fittings (and the augur shear bolt holes), looked over the belt area and under the belly pan, lubricated everything else needed, washed the machine, waxed all the exterior metal, sprayed silicone in the bucket/chute, added a front weight, drift cutters and finally, put two LED lights on the top of the front bucket, with a switch on the dash. Very impressed with this model, look forward to using it (heated handgrips), will like the bigger bucket and, especially, the chute angle control (on the dash), after nearly 20 years of using a smaller, though reliable, MTD, where one has to change the chute angle by moving the diverter by hand. (Awkward!)
nikto42 is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome