LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-24-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
small sprarks from exhaust

Hi guys , i have an old 1974 ariens model 910016 with a 8 hp Tecumseh engine , while using it a night i notice that once in a while some sparks would come out of the exhaust and i also a slight loss a power. Anybody ever had this issue . Thanks . Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-24-2017, 12:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
It could be running lean, try adjusting the carb (turning-out the main jet).

for reference: The starting positions are 1 1/2 turns out for the main jet (bottom of the float bowl) and 1 turns out for the low-speed jet (side of the carb).

excerpt from the service manual:
FINAL ADJUSTMENTS (NON EMISSION ENGINES)
Start the engine and allow it to warm up to normal operating temperature (3 - 5 minutes). Set the speed control to the
HIGH or FAST position. From the recommended preset position, turn the main mixture adjustment screw in (clockwise)
slowly until the engine begins to run erratic (lean). Note the position of the screw. Now, turn the screw out (counterclockwise)
until the engine begins to run erratic (rich). Turn the screw in (clockwise) midway between these two positions. This will
be the best setting. (diag. 21, 22 & 23).
Set the speed control to the IDLE or SLOW position. Adjust the idle mixture screw following the same procedure used to
adjust the main mixture adjustment screw.

if adjusting the carb doesn't clear things-up, it's fairly common on these engines to have inadequate clearance between the lifter & valve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks wildbill59 thanked for this post
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #3 of 8 Old 12-24-2017, 02:08 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
more than 50% of snowblowers i service with tecumseh engines need a valve adjustment. its a very simple repair, first timer can get it done in an hour and a half experienced person can do it in half hour to 45 minutes. all you need is a bench grinder, set of feeler gauges, screwdrivers, and a new head gasket. pull off carb assembly intake and all, muffler, and valve breather plate. remove two gas tank holding bolts and two top recoil shroud bolts. remove plug wire and sheet metal plate. remove all head bolts. pull head towards dipstick tube, the recoil shroud can stay on. now grab a flathead screwdriver and pry up in between the valve spring and valve keeper plate, use another screwdriver to push off keeper plate. now with the valve sitting loosely, push down on the valve and try to insert .10000 feeler gauge, if you cannot grind down on an angle grinder until you can insert the gauge(go very slowly here and take your time. repeat for other side, reassembly is reverse order
post #4 of 8 Old 12-24-2017, 07:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
I think the little 'sparks' you are seeing are pieces of carbon flaking off somewhere in the combustion chamber being heated til they start to burn and being forced out of the muffler. I also think the carbon build up is caused by a slightly rich mixture instead of being lean.

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

88 Craftsman II Trac-Plus 10/32 [wheeled conversion]
71 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 [Predator 6.5 repower]
72 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 with original Tecumseh H60
7? Ariens Tractor with rotary mower attachment [Tecumseh HSK100 repower]
post #5 of 8 Old 12-24-2017, 10:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezlfan View Post
I think the little 'sparks' you are seeing are pieces of carbon flaking off somewhere in the combustion chamber being heated til they start to burn and being forced out of the muffler. I also think the carbon build up is caused by a slightly rich mixture instead of being lean.
A valve adjustment would also be a good idea but with an engine this old carbon build up and valve/valve seat wear would be my first thought. The common practice of running with the choke partially on for a richer fuel/air mixture over the years will cause a carbon build up condition for sure.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-24-2017, 10:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 219
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 46
donyboy73 has a youtube video dedicated to showing a machine with that problem. Can't remember exactly what he shows as the typical reason for that symptom. I recall something about exhaust valve though. You should look that up on his youtube channel.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-24-2017, 10:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 219
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 46
Here's the link to that video showing "Symptoms of a Leaking Exhaust Valve":

post #8 of 8 Old 12-24-2017, 12:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezlfan View Post
It likely ran rich at some point in it's looooong life. A lean condition could be what's cooking-off the built-up coke. You can go rich-to-lean with a temperature (warm-to-cold respectively).

Regardless, that engine is likely long overdue for some TLC.

I pull the head off of every L-head that ends-up in my garage for the 1st time; +1 on what 43128 said, at least half of them have little/no valve lash.

A decarb, valve job (stem adjust & lapping), new gaskets (head, breather, intake), new fuel line, clean/adjust points, set spark advance and a carb clean/rebuild is often what's needed for these old L-heads to run like new again.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page