LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-26-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens Deluxe 24

Just about a year ago,I purchased a new Ariens Deluxe 24 from a big box store that starts with the letter L.Only used it 3 or 4 times last year.Got it ready for this Winter about a year ago.Started right up using the electric starter.Snowed yesterday so I wanted to use it.The electric starter sounded like it had gravel in it.Wouldn't even turn the engine over.Tried one more time and the starter was completely dead.Started it with the pull start and used it.This morning,I pulled the starter off.Had a hard time getting the end cap screws out.Rusted in.Pulled the end cap off and the starter is full of rust and corrosion.I removed the brush screws and cleaned the terminals.Cleaned the connectors on the wires coming from the switch.Put the starter back together and it works fine.How do I keep this rust problem from occurring again?I shouldn't have to be working on a basically new machine.Maybe a phone call to Ariens customer support?This machine lives in my garage when not in use.Thanks for any and all info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-26-2017, 10:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 44
Looking at pics of that machine the starter is hanging out right there in the front where it's gonna get covered with snow. Obviously the housing isn't waterproof. Is there any way to fab up a shield for it or put some kind of removable caulk on the joint that let water in? Engineers aren't thinking about these things obviously and that seems like a real design fail. Also when you put the machine away you may want to brush all the snow off the starter from now on.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-26-2017, 10:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 180
Likes (Given): 69
Likes (Received): 409
Garage
Spray with a rust preventer? Several have been mentioned, Fluid Film comes to mind.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #4 of 9 Old 12-26-2017, 11:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 74
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 250
Likes (Received): 297
Classic case of a problem resulting from a lack of care and maintenance.

And as usual there is no accountability, only blame.

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower

Last edited by tdipaul; 12-26-2017 at 12:17 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-26-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdipaul View Post
Classic case of a problem resulting from a lack of care and maintenance.

And as usual there is no accountability, only blame.

Don't take this , personal,but you don't know what you're talking about.This happens to be a basically brand new machine,used 2 or 3 times last year,kept in a dry garage.As far as "lack of care" goes.What do you do to maintain your starter? Take it apart 2 or 3 times a year and oil it?As far as accountability,the manufacturer should probably water-proof their starters.Especially when used on a piece of equipment that is made to use in snow.Thank you for your answer and your kind welcome to this forum.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-26-2017, 01:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 168
aboard!

They seem to be using cheaper metals these days. As another member posted I would spray it and the exterior of the LCT engine with a rust inhibitor like CRC C-36 or Fluid Film. Do this twice a year, you should be good. You may also want to call Ariens corporate let them no about this for the record. In case there is an issue with the starter and if it happens again you want to claim under your 3 year warranty.

Companies often make changes to problem components without telling us (it's their right to do so), they will address and offer to correct the problem if you complain about it on a case by case basis. A good example would be a TSB when dealing with vehicles. Three recent examples of Ariens doing this, that I know about out. There are likely more: they added a tinted integrated upper headlight lens cover to their halogen headlamp lens that was and apparently still is blinding some users, they modified an overly complicated gas cap design and fuel tank filler neck on the LCT Gen 3 engines they use 306cc and above and of course a biggie they revised the axle position to help remedy Auto-Turn issues which especially plagued their larger auger width machines.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 12-26-2017 at 01:21 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-26-2017, 01:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 85
I've got a 2013 model year Platinum 30 (non-SHO) and it's got the 414cc LCT engine. Mine is also stored in a (mostly) heated area, my walk-in cellar.

I don't baby it, and I don't clean every spec of snow off when I put it away after use. The electric starter gets covered pretty good when working, yet the starter is fine. You have a legitimate quality complaint. Make sure Ariens hears about it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003-r.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	120585  

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)
post #8 of 9 Old 12-26-2017, 02:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 44
Rust inhibitor will do little to keep water out of a starter. The bell end of it should have some kind of gasket on the cap.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-26-2017, 02:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 168
That makes sense. If it is stored in a garage and this happened a call to Ariens should be made.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page