New Owner of Ariens Platinum 24 SHO (non-EFI): 921050 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-29-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Cool New Owner of Ariens Platinum 24 SHO (non-EFI): 921050

After much reading, pondering, pros/cons, pillow talking w/ my wife, I finally decided to go with the non-EFI model for the Ariens Platinum 24 SHO. I really did not consider any other model once I started reading reviews and I am satisfied with my decision to go with Ariens.

Delivery came today from my local dealer. A pleasant surprise hear the doorbell and see the powered on at the front door waiting for me. Glad I went w/ my local dealer instead of having it delivered online. With weather like we have here, below 20F, the last thing on my mind is hauling and assembly. It came preassembled and ready to go. I will let the gas run out and replace with premium.

No regrets not going with the EFI model. For one, I did not have any power outlet in my garage and most importantly after the winter I doubt I will be concerned w/ charging the EFI model once every three months during the off season. I understand the simplicity of the EFI model, but for these two units being pound for pound the same in more ways than one I prefer to have something I can just walk over to and start. Not that the EFI would not start, but I can sometimes be forgetful and for me that was enough to stick for a carburetor engine for now.

And thanks for all the input from everyone here. It was a pleasure reading your thoughts!

Cheers!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-30-2017, 01:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Congrats on the purchase. I picked up the same blower today at 0900. Dealer was great. I originally went with the deluxe and was supposed to pick it up today, but after some more research I decided the plat was for me. Called the dealer and they let me change my order. Like you I feel I made the right choice. Dealer did mention to use premium fuel which I will do. I use it in my other equipment anyway. Hope we get some snow soon so we can play, I mean work lol. All the best. Steve
post #3 of 19 Old 12-30-2017, 04:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
also ordered the platinum, received early nov. big time gas consumption. thought I was having carb issues - it was just low on gas ! heated grips aren't all that hot, but do seem to work. upgraded to poly skids.
post #4 of 19 Old 12-30-2017, 05:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
Ariens still makes a 24" SHO with either a carburetor or EFI ????

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
post #5 of 19 Old 12-30-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Kipsy, Shatfieldj: Congrats on your purchase. Attached are some photos. We had light snow, but nothing worth taking out the blower for though. I did take it out just to make sure I am comfortable starting it on my own. Fairly straightforward. I believe the EFI is much more simple when it comes to starting. But no regrets selecting the non-efi model. Will switch to premium gas and synthetic oil on the first change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2C55251E-88EB-4BC5-B5FD-5D830FFD2641_1514674856334.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	121753   Click image for larger version

Name:	0CF379C3-3BF0-4256-B40C-B7B79ED44CAF_1514674907173.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	121761  
post #6 of 19 Old 12-30-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
@uberT: yes, sir. You get to choose a carburetor or an efi model for the SHO 24. Both have same number of cc. I think the EFI is about 10lbs lighter, needs a charged battery for the machine to start and about $300 more depending on the deal or where you bought it from. Either the efi or carburetor is a good choice!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks uberT thanked for this post
post #7 of 19 Old 12-31-2017, 07:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Interesting, did not know that. Thanks, @deftguru
post #8 of 19 Old 01-08-2018, 01:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
I am waiting for a Platinum 24 carb to be delivered this week. The discussion on use of premium fuel discussed here is my question.

Everything I've read says using premium where the engine isn't designed for it can actually degrade performance due to extra octane since the fuel may not ignite as it designed to in a low compression engine and may be harder to start. Not to mention costing more money.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-08-2018, 01:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWhite View Post

Everything I've read says using premium where the engine isn't designed for it can actually degrade performance due to extra octane since the fuel may not ignite as it designed to in a low compression engine and may be harder to start. Not to mention costing more money.

^^ @WinterWhite, good and accurate summary !

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks WinterWhite thanked for this post
post #10 of 19 Old 01-08-2018, 01:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 189
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftguru View Post
Kipsy, Shatfieldj: Congrats on your purchase. Attached are some photos. We had light snow, but nothing worth taking out the blower for though. I did take it out just to make sure I am comfortable starting it on my own. Fairly straightforward. I believe the EFI is much more simple when it comes to starting. But no regrets selecting the non-efi model. Will switch to premium gas and synthetic oil on the first change.
Congrats you got the big engine should always have enough grunt
be aware the stock rpm specs are 3600 plus / minus 50 mine new blower come set to the low side
lct specs 3850 rpm plus or minus 50 max rpm
you lose about 60 rpm impeller speed for every 200 rpm engine speed
no sho impeller is 1010 sho is 1075
if you are 200 low you lose the 60 rpm as do the 1010 rated speed if they are 200 rpm low
impeller speed is key to smiling or a bigger smile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in