LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-31-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 21
installing differential system

My modified 926LE doesn't have any differential and I begin to think to add one for next year. It seems I have 3 choices made by Ariens.

- Remote differential
- Auto turn
- Another model (which I don't know the name but is not remote)

Which one will be the best for trouble free operation and won't cost me an arm ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-31-2017, 12:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 117
Likes (Received): 256
Well a few things first, I added a auto turn to my 1027LE and is very similar, But does your 926LE have a solid axle with rims pinned on or does it have the wheel lock with 1 inch axles, if you donít have the 1Ē axles you will also be needing new wheels as the kit replaces the entire axle, Ariens says it doesnít have a kit for the solid axle model but it can be done and there is a thread here someplace of someone who did it and everything he had to buy and do, When I get to my pc I will try and find that thread for you.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-31-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 21
Is it this thread ?

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-926001-a.html

So I figure the auto turn should be the best option to use on my snowblower ?

The auto turn doesn't seems to get unanimous liking. I never tried a snowblower with this device.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-31-2017, 01:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 126
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by legarem View Post

The auto turn doesn't seems to get unanimous liking. I never tried a snowblower with this device.
I have the plastic Ariens skid shoes and I like the AutoTurn a lot. Full two wheel traction going forward and back and an easy turn through 180 degrees in the width of the machine while turning the chute with the wind. Those with grippier skid shoes may have problems with keeping a perfectly straight line on a poorly surfaced driveway or vehicle tracks.

I have used open differentials and no differential and trigger operated drive releases and they all have their pluses and minuses, but don't work as well or as easily as the AutoTurn.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #5 of 8 Old 01-01-2018, 01:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by legarem View Post
Is it this thread ?

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-926001-a.html

Yes that was the thread, Some had the pinned rims and some had the lever on the left handle to unlock the left wheel. That one has the 1" axle as mine had, Easy install on the auto turn kit and so far flawlessly working for me.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-02-2018, 01:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Anyone know if there's a way to add remote differential locking/release to a machine with a differential?

I've only used an MTD with a locked axle, and my differential-equipped Ariens. I've never used the trigger systems, or Auto-Turn. But I have to say that the trigger systems *sound* like they'd have some nice benefits. Easy turning when you need it, and with both triggers released, they'll simply track straight, with no questions about proper skid selection, driveway surface, etc, like with Auto-Turn.

My differential is great, but with ice under the snow, like yesterday, I had to keep engaging/disengaging the differential, to get enough traction, while still keeping it easy to maneuver. Do a straight section, then stop, unlock the differential, turn around, and lock it again.

Normally I don't have traction problems with the diff unlocked, but this did highlight that sometimes it would be nice to be able to lock/unlock it on the fly. It would be cool if that could be added easily.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 8 Old 01-02-2018, 02:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The ariens trigger isnít as your thinking, It only has one lever and it just unlocks one wheel so you can turn it, one wheel drive when unlocked.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-02-2018, 02:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
The ariens trigger isnít as your thinking, It only has one lever and it just unlocks one wheel so you can turn it, one wheel drive when unlocked.
thats what im looking for in my sb, has anyone added/modded that to a locked axle

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page