Old 01-04-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 2
Blowing oil from my ST26DLE!

Hello, snow gurus --

Newbie here, I've enjoyed reading (lurking) on some of your forums. Now I find that I have a problem with my much-loved Ariens ST26DLE.

I did a search of the Forum but it kept returning 'no results.' I find that hard to believe, so forgive me if this is a topic that everyone has seen/read about a hundred times.

I prepped it in October 2017 for the season and it ran just fine. I use ethanol-free gas only in all my yard gear.

Today when I started it up electrically, it immediately spewed oil out of the left side of the engine compartment. I quickly killed the blower and then stood around staring at the dirtied snow with my mouth hanging open. DOH.... I've never had the slightest problem with it.

I'm not an especially gifted wrench-turner, although I do a little bit on my motorcycles. I removed the lower black casing on the B&S engine and couldn't really see anything amiss. There is a black hose that seems to be just floating around, but I suspect that might be a breather hose.

Also, after reading some other posts here, I took a sniff of the dipstick -- and dang it, it *does* smell like gas. I looked like a freak because then I was sniffing my John Deere dipstick, then my two motos' dipsticks. They all just smell...oily. But the Ariens smells like a gas station. So -- gas in the crankcase, maybe?

If so, that's currently beyond my tech abilities, and I'll have to look for a repair shop.

Here's a link (I hope) to 4 photos on Imgur. The photos are out of order, I'm afraid.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by TraceyinVA; 01-04-2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Bad typing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2018, 07:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 149
only seen/find one pic. idk the problem but if u can attach photos to post it be much better for future reference, very easy todo just make sure photos are max 1080p

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Welcome! Sorry to hear that. As I was reading, I was wondering about gas in the oil, raising the "oil" level too high.

Does it have a fuel shutoff valve? Typically, when you get gas in the oil, it's because the carburetor's needle valve isn't completely stopping the flow of fuel for some reason. As the machine sits around, the fuel overflows from the carburetor, runs through the intake, and into the cylinder. It then gets past the piston rings, and ends up down in the crankcase, with the oil.

If it's a slow leak, then you can close the fuel shutoff when you're done, and run the engine until it dies. This will use up the fuel that's in the carb, and also help stop any more from flowing to the carb between uses, as a short-term "fix".

If you need to use the machine, you first need to drain all of the "oil". The level is probably too high, which could cause the spraying. But also, gas is a bad lubricant, so if you kept running it with gas in the oil, you could cause engine damage. So, close the fuel shutoff if it has one, drain the oil completely, and fill it with fresh oil. When you need to use it, check the oil level, and see if it smells like gas. Hopefully not. Open the fuel shutoff, clear your snow, close the fuel shutoff, and run it until the engine dies. Next time, do the same routine.

This is a stop-gap, to try and let you use the machine if you need to, until you can get it fixed. It's likely that the carburetor needs to be cleaned, and maybe use a rebuild kit to allow replacing the needle-valve parts if needed. You could do this yourself, or take it somewhere.

And if you want to do it yourself, there are plenty of people here willing to help.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Old 01-04-2018, 10:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 1655
Likes (Received): 387
Welcome to SBF!

Time to roll-up your sleeves b/c i see a carb rebuild in your future there Tracey!

Good job catching it in time and finding the "source" of the geyser.

RedOctobyr hit all of the keypoints. It could be the carb float as well...swamped w/ fuel or even stuck to the bottom of the float bowl.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hey, Vinny, thanks for the heads-up on the photo issue.

I'll try to get that squared away.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi, RedOctobyr,

The fuel shutoff was closed when I first tried to start it today - so yes, I believe that I left it stored in the shutoff position. And when I ran it in October '17, it was fine. So I think I shut it down properly in January '17.

The blower was spraying oil today as though a line had separated, so I'm going to do an oil change as you recommended. One question, though: it's bitterly cold here for the next 4-5 days. I'm *not* going to use the blower during that time. Will it hurt it to sit with possible gas in the oil reservoir (if that's the right term) for those 4-5 days? Or should I just go ahead and drain the oil tomorrow, and refill it with fresh oil?

<sigh> OK, I'll confess: I'm a 63-year-old woman who just started riding motorcycles 3 years ago. With that came a certain degree of working on my bikes. I like doing my own maintenance...sort of. I like knowing how stuff works and fits together, but I'd rather just get out and use the blower/motorcycle. So yes, darn it, I will probably jump into a carb cleaning. But if I win this week's $550M lottery, then I won't. ;-)

Thanks for the great info, and to recap --- can I wait until it's a tad warmer to drain the oil? Or should I get on that right now? Not planning on using the blower at all until this issue is fixed.

Thanks!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Boston_Rob liked this post
Old 01-04-2018, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, Classicat, standby for carb questions unless the Snowblower Fairy visits tonight and fixes my Ariens!
Old 01-04-2018, 11:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Tracey, that's somewhat odd, then, to have gas in the oil, if you had the fuel line shut off during storage.

Before you drain the oil, how is the oil level? Is it above the Full mark? If not, then maybe the gas in the oil isn't the cause of your spraying. It's still Bad, and would need to be addressed, but if the level isn't over-filled, then it likely wouldn't explain the spraying.

It's fine to leave the gas in the oil if you're not running it, and it's just sitting around. No rush, drain it when you can.

Maybe someone more familiar with your engine can confirm whether the rubber tube from the OHV valve cover is the breather tube. I had a generator with a rubber tube coming from the valve cover, I believe it went over to the air intake, behind the air filter. But I don't know if that tube was the same function as the breather tubes I'm familiar with on my Tecumseh snowblower engines (those tubes are open to the atmosphere, they just aim at the ground, only 1 end connects to the engine). Trying to think it through quickly, you may be able to accomplish the same breather function with a tube mounted on the valve cover.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Old 01-04-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, RedOct, I'll wait for a few days before trying to change the oil.

OK, newbie question -- When I check the oil level, do I seat the dipstick fully into the engine or no? Reason I ask, one of my motorcycles is emphatic about *not* screwing the dipstick back into the case to check the level.

Am working on trying to post the photos.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2018, 11:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I don't know, sorry. As you alluded to, it can vary. The best bet is to check your manual.

If you were just curious, as a start, I'd say screw the dipstick in. That would show the highest-possible level. If you did that, and it still wasn't above Full, then that would be interesting.

But unless someone who knows that engine can chime in, I'd say take a look in the manual, and follow whatever they say. With your model and serial number, you can download manuals from Ariens for free, if needed.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in