Mal

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 6
Compact 24 wheels not locking

I've have a 2010, Compact 24. 920004

The left wheel is driving, the right wheel is not. Yes, the lynch pin is in the right hole to lock the wheel to the shaft. It's been in there since I got it and i've never changed it.

I thought it was just a straight drive shaft in this unit, it apparently is more complicated than that.

If I lift up the back end of it, the right wheel will easily turn about half a turn then the left will turn. Under load however only the left will drive.

Suggestions as to what to look at first? I've never disassembled the bottom of this machine to see what I'm getting into.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-09-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Mal

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I've have a 2010, Compact 24. 920004

The left wheel is driving, the right wheel is not. Yes, the lynch pin is in the right hole to lock the wheel to the shaft. It's been in there since I got it and i've never changed it.

I thought it was just a straight drive shaft in this unit, it apparently is more complicated than that.

If I lift up the back end of it, the right wheel will easily turn about half a turn then the left will turn. Under load however only the left will drive.

Suggestions as to what to look at first? I've never disassembled the bottom of this machine to see what I'm getting into.

Thanks,
For what it's worth, I figured it out.

My right wheel was flat and spinning on the rim. It finally got warm enough for me to spend 30 seconds looking at the machine. This machine is light enough, the tire doesn't even really bow out much even when there is zero air in the tire.

I wish I could find some bigger wheels that were an inch or two taller. It'd be nice to have a little bit more ground clearance.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-10-2018, 12:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 254
I am actually testing what fits on a SnowTek 24, Basically a stripped down Compact painted black but share many parts and the same 13" tires yours has. Putting a set of 15" on some narrow rims to see if it will clear the blower, Worst case the axle from the newer model I read will fit and is slightly longer. I however plan to make the new axle if needed as I work in a machine shop but I am hoping I don't need to do that as it will be a bit of work.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-10-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Mal

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
I am actually testing what fits on a SnowTek 24, Basically a stripped down Compact painted black but share many parts and the same 13" tires yours has. Putting a set of 15" on some narrow rims to see if it will clear the blower, Worst case the axle from the newer model I read will fit and is slightly longer. I however plan to make the new axle if needed as I work in a machine shop but I am hoping I don't need to do that as it will be a bit of work.
The shaft on my model is 3/4". I'm seeing other wheels/tires that are taller yet still have the same linch pin holes but a 7/8" shaft diameter. I'm thinking about just adding a sleeve and boring out the pin hole. They may be wider which would be an issue but I think I could use the outer hole. I need to investigate further, but I would love a little extra clearance. I run my armor skids all the way out since my drive and paths are gravel. The wheels also dig in some times if it's not frozen so clearance would be helpful. I should just breakdown and buy a new blower with a bigger motor and bigger wheels.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-10-2018, 10:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Ah a different diamiter axle, have to research some of this, I really don’t need to inprove on this one as I have a much larger Ariens but I am having fun upgrading this as my second machine with extra parts I have on the shelf, I will let you know how it goes with fitting the tires and clearence on the blower.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-10-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Mal

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
Ah a different diamiter axle, have to research some of this, I really don’t need to inprove on this one as I have a much larger Ariens but I am having fun upgrading this as my second machine with extra parts I have on the shelf, I will let you know how it goes with fitting the tires and clearence on the blower.
I just ordered a Platinum 24 SHO. I'm my own worst enemy

Keep my posted how you make out. I'm curious.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-10-2018, 01:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
One thing to note is the tire I have that are a 15” are also on 6” rims so the axle may be the same, I think the 8” rims are on a bigger axle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page