24" SHO Heated Handgrips Don't Work - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 01-05-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 24
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
24" SHO Heated Handgrips Don't Work

Hi......................used my 2 year old 24" SHO yesterday and neither handgrip gets warm..............anyone have this problem? (and yes, the switch is on )
scotzz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 01-05-2018, 04:20 PM
Senior Member
 
jburson250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Newmarket, NH
Posts: 260
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzz View Post
Hi......................used my 2 year old 24" SHO yesterday and neither handgrip gets warm..............anyone have this problem? (and yes, the switch is on )
And the plugs are connected?

Sorry Scot, just had to ask the other half of obvious - you got the first half.

Here's a wiring diagram for my Pro 28 - too lazy to figure out your model #:

https://parts.ariens.com/partlookup_...000%7c%7econ/y

Most hand warmers are in series, i.e. if one goes out, they both go out. A more likely failure, though, is the switch. If similar to mine - a 2014 - yours might be an uncovered toggle switch.

I'm an old fart, so hand warmers are mission critical. I keep a new switch in my spare parts box.

Good luck!

Jim in NH
'14 Ariens Pro 28 926038
'18 Ariens Classic 24 920025
jburson250 is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 01-05-2018, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vermont's NorthEast Kingdom
Posts: 397
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
When my Hand-Warmers clunked out . . . . it was the "Connector" between the alternator and the fuse that had died.

In his wisdom, the Manufacturer had located this Connector right at the bottom of a drip loop where it would accumulate salty water to accelerate the corrosion of the chintzey aluminum contacts within the Connector.

I spent quite a bit of time diagnosing this problem, and only when I went back to verify my assumptions did I discover the disconnect between the engine and the HandGrips.

Hardwired, they've been working fine . . . . nothing wrong with the Heated Hand Grips.

The Connector is there solely to simplify the manufacturing process.
Vermont007 is offline  
post #4 of 22 Old 01-05-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 24
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburson250 View Post
And the plugs are connected?

Sorry Scot, just had to ask the other half of obvious - you got the first half.

Here's a wiring diagram for my Pro 28 - too lazy to figure out your model #:

https://parts.ariens.com/partlookup_...000%7c%7econ/y

Most hand warmers are in series, i.e. if one goes out, they both go out. A more likely failure, though, is the switch. If similar to mine - a 2014 - yours might be an uncovered toggle switch.

I'm an old fart, so hand warmers are mission critical. I keep a new switch in my spare parts box.

Good luck!
Yes, mine is the uncovered toggle switch. Leads seem to be connected but I'll have to double check
scotzz is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 01-05-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 24
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburson250 View Post
And the plugs are connected?

Sorry Scot, just had to ask the other half of obvious - you got the first half.

Here's a wiring diagram for my Pro 28 - too lazy to figure out your model #:

https://parts.ariens.com/partlookup_...000%7c%7econ/y

Most hand warmers are in series, i.e. if one goes out, they both go out. A more likely failure, though, is the switch. If similar to mine - a 2014 - yours might be an uncovered toggle switch.

I'm an old fart, so hand warmers are mission critical. I keep a new switch in my spare parts box.

Good luck!
Thanks for the parts list
scotzz is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 01-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Senior Member
 
jburson250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Newmarket, NH
Posts: 260
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzz View Post
Yes, mine is the uncovered toggle switch. Leads seem to be connected but I'll have to double check
I added this to my Pro 28 when I first got it. Ordered 3, got 1 left.




My switch is still the original one - maybe the cover helped extend it's life.

Here's where to get a new one:

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ja...riens/02485700

You can go back to Jack's home page, enter your model #, and find just about any part on earth for your blower.

Best Regards

Jim in NH
'14 Ariens Pro 28 926038
'18 Ariens Classic 24 920025
jburson250 is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 01-06-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 24
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
well...............I tested the switch and it is ok. No power coming through the leads to the switch with the engine running. I am not sure of the wiring. I assume power from the alternator comes up the right side of the handle to power both the light and hand grips. If this is the case then there is a problem with the wiring under the dash. How many volts should be coming through the leads?
scotzz is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 01-06-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 24
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzz View Post
well...............I tested the switch and it is ok. No power coming through the leads to the switch with the engine running. I am not sure of the wiring. I assume power from the alternator comes up the right side of the handle to power both the light and hand grips. If this is the case then there is a problem with the wiring under the dash. How many volts should be coming through the leads?
Actually I am testing the leads incorrectly. Should I be checking voltage from the yellow lead to ground?
scotzz is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 01-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Senior Member
 
jburson250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Newmarket, NH
Posts: 260
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
Garage
@scotzz go to parts.ariens.com, put your model # in, and you'll get some diagrams.

One of these will be the wiring diagram, similar to the one in the link I included in Post #2.

There you'll find the wire colors. These engines usually produce 12-18 volts AC.

Does your light work? If not you may have a bigger problem.

Your blower has a 3 year warranty. Call Ariens for advice. Phone #'s in your owner manual.

Jim in NH
'14 Ariens Pro 28 926038
'18 Ariens Classic 24 920025
jburson250 is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 01-07-2018, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 24
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburson250 View Post
@scotzz go to parts.ariens.com, put your model # in, and you'll get some diagrams.

One of these will be the wiring diagram, similar to the one in the link I included in Post #2.

There you'll find the wire colors. These engines usually produce 12-18 volts AC.

Does your light work? If not you may have a bigger problem.

Your blower has a 3 year warranty. Call Ariens for advice. Phone #'s in your owner manual.
I looked at the wiring diagram from the Ariens site but it doesn't match completely. They show a single yellow lead coming into the switch but my snowblower has a two yellow leads piggybacked. Each grip has a yellow and brown lead. I assume the brown are ground leads? What do the brown ground leads attach to? Since the engine is aluminum I assume ground leads connect to the alternator?
scotzz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome