Snowblower Forum banner

Ariens recoil pull no tension

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  GoBlowSnow 
#1 · (Edited)
After yesterday's snow in New England, today I took out my Ariens 24" SHO and cleared out my driveway. It was a very light, powdery snow that was getting whipped around while I was clearing it. I shut the blower off to do some shoveling, went back to restart it with the pull rope, and there was absolutely no tension on it. When I released the handle, the rope would get pulled in as usual. After a call to the dealer, they said they will pick it up and take a look. This afternoon, I came home from work and sure enough, when I pulled on the handle, there was plenty of tension. Not wanting to kick the engine over, I let it be.

After some research and a call to the dealer, turns out the powdery snow got blown into the mechanism melted and froze after I shut it down to shovel for a bit. After sitting in my garage, the ice melted and now the mechanism is working fine.

Just an FYI for others.

#2 ·
I've seen old machines do this sometimes. The little spring or ratchet gets hug up. Maybe they get a worn spot and it gets stuck.
If it does it again pull the cord quick a few times that should get the ratchet locked in again.

If it does it a third time I'd have them look at it. The pull starter might have burrs or something inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.