LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-06-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Platinum 24 Chute won't stay put!

Hello folks - I have an Ariens Platinum 24 that's been helping me clear snow for a few years now, good machine, I believe it's the 921028. While clearing snow in the recent blizzard, the chute seemed to lose the friction that used to hold it in place. It started swinging around, throwing snow in random directions. I can still maneuver the chute well with the dash lever, the trouble is that it is now almost frictionless and won't hold any setting. Seems like either I lost a part or something came loose?

Does anyone know what I can do to regain control over this ornery chute?

Thanks!
Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-06-2018, 10:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 196
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter17 View Post
Hello folks - I have an Ariens Platinum 24 that's been helping me clear snow for a few years now, good machine, I believe it's the 921028. While clearing snow in the recent blizzard, the chute seemed to lose the friction that used to hold it in place. It started swinging around, throwing snow in random directions. I can still maneuver the chute well with the dash lever, the trouble is that it is now almost frictionless and won't hold any setting. Seems like either I lost a part or something came loose?

Does anyone know what I can do to regain control over this ornery chute?

Thanks!
Barry
tighten the 9/16 nut under the black cover not inside you should see the spring it will tighten the chute its a 1 min job
google your model number barry and get the manual it clearly shows all the needed easy adjustments
post #3 of 19 Old 01-06-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have seen pics of other Ariens models with a big bolt with a tension spring running vertically at the front of the chute control rod. Mine doesn't have that. I took off the black cover and took a picture, and also took a picture under the dash. This is what I have. Will also try to google for the manual.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096_1024.jpg
Views:	1070
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	123618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0098_1024.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	123626  
post #4 of 19 Old 01-06-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Does anyone know if this hardware is SAE or metric? I am sizing both 1/2in and 7/16in crescent wrenches against the nuts along that control cable, and it seems like the 7/16 is too small and the 1/2in is too big? Are they metric sized?
post #5 of 19 Old 01-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ariens 921028 chute adj.PNG
Views:	375
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	123650  

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 05:09 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-06-2018, 11:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 126
Garage
As 1132le says tightening the vertical bolt will increase tension on the chute so that it is not sloppy. The position of the chute is not controlled by that tension. It is controlled by the U shaped bracket locking with the teeth on the horizontal toothed wheel attached to the chute using a little hairspring to hold the bracket in locked position and the cable that pulls the bracket to unlock the toothed wheel. The spring appears ok in holding the bottom of the bracket forward. So the bracket may be out of adjustment/bent or you may need some adjustment of the cable where the two nuts lock the cable into position. The control lever at the handlebars needs to be pulled back to release the locking bracket and that allows the chute to turn. When the lever is released the locking bracket locks the toothed wheel so the chute cannot turn.

I bent that locking bracket against a handrail of a neighbors access ramp and the chute would move on its own just like yours. I replaced the bracket since I could not bend it to original spec.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #7 of 19 Old 01-06-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
You have to adjust the cable.
Thanks, jtclays, that's what I am trying to do now. Does anyone know if this hardware is SAE or metric? I am sizing both 1/2in and 7/16in crescent wrenches against the nuts along that control cable, and it seems like the 7/16 is too small and the 1/2in is too big? Are they metric sized? I don't want to round off the nut corners with the wrong wrench.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-06-2018, 12:08 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 05:09 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-13-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Back - it turns out those nuts are metric, 12mm. And once I finally got the right wrench, I still couldn't adjust it. There was a bit of lubricant on the threaded shaft, and that was really gummy at 0F, so I still couldn't do squat. Today, with the weather warm (for the moment! ;-)), I went back with the 12mm crescent wrench and a bit of graphite lubricant and adjusted the nuts (which adjust the cable tension) until it seems to swing okay under control lever pressure and yet still lock when I let go. I think I'll be ready when the next deep freeze and snowfall comes.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-13-2018, 03:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Received): 52
See the picture, there is an arrow pointing to the lock, that holds the chute in place. Make sure the cable is adjusted so the lock engages to the gear, to hold it in place, from rotating.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ariens Lock.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	125138  

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page