post #1 of 72 Old 01-06-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Lee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
28" Ariens seems underpowered

I purchased a 28" Ariens this fall. Have used it twice now in Massachusetts in the last few weeks.

I'm new to snowblowers, but I've used a neighbor's blower, and have certainly seen many snowblowers in use.

This machine doesn't seem to throw the snow very far. I have to go over my (large) driveway several times, moving the snow in one direction and then moving it again until it's off the driveway. And, at the bottom of the driveway (where the town plows move snow into the driveway), it doesn't blow the snow very high.

It just strikes me as underpowered. The first time I figured the snow was very heavy, but that is was not the case with the second storm, where the snow was very light.

Is it possible I'm doing something wrong, or there is some problem that needs to be fixed?

Your advice would be welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 01-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I purchased a 28" Ariens this fall. Have used it twice now in Massachusetts in the last few weeks.

I'm new to snowblowers, but I've used a neighbor's blower, and have certainly seen many snowblowers in use.

This machine doesn't seem to throw the snow very far. I have to go over my (large) driveway several times, moving the snow in one direction and then moving it again until it's off the driveway. And, at the bottom of the driveway (where the town plows move snow into the driveway), it doesn't blow the snow very high.

It just strikes me as underpowered. The first time I figured the snow was very heavy, but that is was not the case with the second storm, where the snow was very light.

Is it possible I'm doing something wrong, or there is some problem that needs to be fixed?

Your advice would be welcome!
I just took delivery of an Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO with the bigger 302cc in time to clean up some of the mess here in MA from the blizzard. I live in Franklin where we got about 16" - I found the snow to be 'heavy' not wet but very heavy. My Ariens handled it with no trouble throwing the snow a good distance.

Do you overlap when you blow your driveway i.e. take only 2/3 to 1/2 of the blower width on each pass (other than the first pass)? Even with the 14" impeller I think you can overload it, try to take too much or go too fast.

Where did you buy it? Box store or power equipment dealer? What specific model is it?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 72 Old 01-06-2018, 07:06 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 05:40 PM.
post #4 of 72 Old 01-06-2018, 07:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 192
Garage
if it has the254cc motor its way under powered
post #5 of 72 Old 01-06-2018, 07:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
Not all snowblowers are created equal. It's the sad truth. But I would check the belt tension as mentioned
post #6 of 72 Old 01-06-2018, 07:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
Ariens advises to adjust the auger belt after a run in period. It should be in your manual. Basically pull the belt cover, clamp the auger engagement handle down and see how much deflection you have in the belt. i think if it's more than 1/2", you release the handle, loosen the idler pulleys bolt and side it over toward center, re tighten and check again. Should be good to go. Assuming you are running it full throttle and choke off, you should easily be able to through from one side to the other.
Good to know - thanks!
post #7 of 72 Old 01-06-2018, 08:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1132le View Post
How do you know? 254cc is equivalent to about 8HP. I had an 8HP Toro Power Max that was a beast - would throw snow 40' easy. The Ariens is rated at 62 tons of snow per hour plus it's always one of the top snowblowers in reviews and ratings - both consumer and professional reviews. SO, how is it helpful to say it's underpowered when you really can't say that with any certainty........
post #8 of 72 Old 01-06-2018, 08:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1132le View Post
I agree, something 28"+ should have at least 300CCs. I have a 30 inch with the 342CC briggs and even then, a full bucket load of medium-heavy snow will test that engine's capacity to the fullest.
post #9 of 72 Old 01-06-2018, 08:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I've heard people mention an Ariens with a 254cc engine with a 28" bucket, though I don't know if that's what your exact machine has. Only as a point of comparison, my 1024 Pro (from ~2000) has a 318cc OHV engine (rated at 10hp), and 24" bucket. It takes more of the SHO-style approach.

But you said it doesn't throw as far as you'd like. Is the engine bogging down while blowing? Or is the engine maintaining RPMs (not bogging), but simply not throwing as far as you'd expect?

The first is a question of sufficient engine power, of course, and relates to the engine size, how heavy/deep the snow is, etc. But the second would imply that you have enough power, yet for some reason it's still not throwing as far as hoped.

If the engine is slowing down, try taking a narrower cut, to reduce the load on the engine. This should help let it maintain RPMs, and then see how the throwing distance is, see if there's an improvement.

If the engine is holding RPMs already, you could have a slipping belt, as was mentioned. Or you could simply be dealing with snow that doesn't travel far. Heavy snow is difficult to throw (takes a lot of power). But really-light snow doesn't have *enough* weight, and sometimes won't go far (think of throwing a whiffleball). Or there could be other issues, such as an excessive gap between the impeller and the impeller housing. Or an engine RPM that's set too low.

Also, sometimes small amounts of snow are tougher to throw. If you get a 1-2" storm, you may *need* to use a fast ground speed, to help keep the impeller fully fed, to help your throwing performance. If you crept along in 1st gear, you might not throw as far, vs using 5th gear.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 01-06-2018 at 08:12 PM.
post #10 of 72 Old 01-06-2018, 08:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 192
Garage
the 254cc has a real hp figure of 7.6 hardly enough for a 28 bucket
whats the max rpm? factory setting its almost never set 3600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in