'79 Ariens 724 - Engine stalls when engaging auger - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 01-08-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Unhappy '79 Ariens 724 - Engine stalls when engaging auger

I have a 1979 Ariens 724 that I picked up from a resale shop for $75 and it was in good running condition; however, after using it through our first snowfall I noticed that the chute wasn't throwing the snow much further than about 5-7 ft, so I decided to do the "Impeller Kit" on the impeller. Everything was going well until I tried running the auger again, when I engaged it the engine stalled out and now it appears to be bound.

I must add that when I was installing the impeller kit, I was turning the impeller in the opposite direction of normal operation and I believe I somehow bound up the differential. Today I plan on splitting it apart to see if maybe something has fallen out of alignment.

NOTE: If I spin the impeller in the opposite direction of normal operation, it spins the auger backwards without a problem, spinning in the right direction appears to be the problem. Please help as I'm sure it has to be something minor.

Thanks in advance for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-08-2018, 01:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 44
Did you leave any gap when you did the rubber or were you expecting it to 'wear in' to the housing? It sounds like you just made the paddles to tight to the housing - what did you use for the rubber? Maybe the housing isn't perfectly round too....
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes RedOctobyr liked this post
post #3 of 25 Old 01-08-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhazelton View Post
Did you leave any gap when you did the rubber or were you expecting it to 'wear in' to the housing? It sounds like you just made the paddles to tight to the housing - what did you use for the rubber? Maybe the housing isn't perfectly round too....
Thanks for the response, I didn't leave a gap and did expect them to wear-in as you called it; however, the material I used is rather soft (Rubber Stair Treads) that's about 1/8" thick, I used 2 layers on each paddle (4). It rotates freely by hand in the wrong direction and the housing isn't damaged. If the rubber were the problem, I'd assume that the 7hp Tecumseh wouldn't be bothered by that as it's a pretty strong engine. The fact that the engine stalls makes me assume that the differential is bound, but I don't want to take anything apart yet.
post #4 of 25 Old 01-08-2018, 03:08 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
the first few times you will more then likely stall the engine. does keep on engaging until the engne stops stalling, in my experience it usually takes about 2 or 3 times, especially with an older flathead tecumseh
post #5 of 25 Old 01-08-2018, 03:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 651
Generously Spray the Impeller Walls, and Seals with WD40, or PB Blaster When Breaking in an Impeller Seal.
post #6 of 25 Old 01-08-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
the first few times you will more then likely stall the engine. does keep on engaging until the engne stops stalling, in my experience it usually takes about 2 or 3 times, especially with an older flathead tecumseh
I tried it more than a handful of times and decided to stop right there as I was afraid to damage something else and the thing is clearly telling me something is stopping it
post #7 of 25 Old 01-08-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
Generously Spray the Impeller Walls, and Seals with WD40, or PB Blaster When Breaking in an Impeller Seal.
Good point, I'll give that a try
post #8 of 25 Old 01-08-2018, 04:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 44
If the WD doesn't do it pull off the rubbers and see if the engine still stops. If it doesn't you found the answer - if it does pull off the belt guard and looky see if anything is going on there.
post #9 of 25 Old 01-08-2018, 05:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Try manually pushing the impeller the correct way first. The rubber will generally fold over a little so yours are probably folded over backwards and when it tries to spin the correct way they are attempting to fold over and wedging themselves in there as they widen up a little.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, RedOctobyr liked this post
post #10 of 25 Old 01-08-2018, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks to everyone who suggested the WD40! As simple as it may seem, it simply hadn't occurred to me. That was all, the initial start was the hump the engine needed to get through and after that it spun just fine. I ended up taking them off as they were very noisy and started to chip almost immediately. I will wait out the next snowfall and may end up leaving the snowblower as is. It's a great machine to begin with and it runs very well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page