LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 168
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 580
Museum piece

Hey folks....I just got to my "barn find" a pristine 1964 !st series Ariens model 10ML60D...this blower still has white paint on the muffler! I did a complete service and got her running.....just had to pull the bowl and wipe her out....fill with gas and adjust the carb....I have some questions.....Scott? Jack Mels? anyone else. The axles seem to have some kind of differential behind each wheel. when I tried her out this afternoon, one wheel would spin, then the next. Is this just on the first series machines, cause I've never seen it in all the later 10000 series I've played with. Second...I'nm not impressed with the traction on these old 10000 series ( or the first series)...what would the membership say....chains or snowhogs? third question.....what do I do with this girl...all original( except the pull cord and handle). I really don't want to be a collector.....and I certainly am not going to sell her to the average shmo who just wants to clear his driveway.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 05:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
its a machine, let it do its thing, shmo or not, what else would they use it for lol, put it up on a pedestal?
the type of guy thats going to buy that kind of machine at its age wont just scrap it.
imho

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 01-11-2018 at 05:33 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 05:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 45
Cranman, have you had any units with the ratcheting wheels? That's what it sounds like. I personally never had one myself. I know they exist.

I had a really super clean 10ML55 and had to steal parts from another unit to try to get it complete. I could never find the big box carb cover and then lost interest and sold it. Xtrac if it's a keeper. Snow hog if your going to sell it. Chains on the side if someone wants them. I personally hate chains especially on 10000 series that have no locking axle. I do have a couple sets of snow hogs on rims or not. How about some pictures?
post #4 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 06:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 142
I have a 10ML6, I put a Predator 212 (6.5hp) on it a couple years ago, runs the best it ever did... many years ago I put Snow hogs on all my machines, never looked back, and always performed flawlessly ...
post #5 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 06:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
I have Xtracs on the keeper.

I personally cannot stand the "turf saver" tires on any snowblower, the wheels just spin and spin and I spend more time fighting the snowblower than I do fighting snow. Even the ones I flip usually have chains on them.

post #6 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Mike...I think these are the ratcheting wheels......never saw them before. I would like to hot rod this one but it would be a sacriledge.....it has to stay stock and pristine. I have a couple of other not so pristine 10000 series if I want to play....but I really prefer the 924 series for my own use. I just ordered chains tonight for it so it would at least be usable AND stock. I have to find a collector if I flip it LOL......
post #7 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 08:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Pretty cool! Hopefully there will be pictures.

The ratcheting wheels sound interesting. If they work the way I'm thinking, they might sort of act like a differential, in that you could swing 1 wheel forward (faster than the axle is rotating) while turning around. But unlike a differential, they would both keep driving forward, even if 1 wheel was on ice.

But with the way I'm thinking about this, they might prevent having a reverse gear? The ratchets would just "slip". Or do they work differently than this?

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 08:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 142
They both drive forward, reverse is normal, but they have the advantage of turning much better than the other models. Very smooth machine now that it has the Predator, Snow Hogs ... Free wheels just great.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I've only played with this for ten minutes....but reverse seem both wheels normal and forward seems like a Detroit Locker
post #10 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 09:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 678
Thanks (Received): 179
Likes (Given): 1091
Likes (Received): 1108
Garage
pictures??

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page