post #1 of 23 Old 01-13-2018, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Brand New Deluxe 28 SHO Arriving Monday

Morning everyone,

I am expecting delivery Monday on 28 Deluxe SHO from a local hardware store. Replacing a 1990s 22 Toro Power Throw 522 (5 hp). Hoping for a nice improvement after fighting the most recent blizzard for six hours (two outings, one during, one after)! Based in northern New England. Fingers crossed for lots of good service from the new machine. Could use some tips from this group for delivery!

1) Should I try the auto turn adjustment in the sticky video prophalacticly, or only if I start having problems with it?

2) Are there items I should check on delivery or any other common trouble signs to watch for?

3) I read some threads about people messing with their headlights (for glare?). Whats the current best practice or recommendation? Should I be thinking about adding supplemental lighting?

4) Is the addition of drift bars recommended or not necessary? Sometimes I like to cut back the plows work on our private road to keep it as wide as it should be.

5) Heated Hand Grips accessory: Do folks who have it like it? I am considering asking for that for Christmas 2018.

This is my first post ever, so thanks for the information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-13-2018, 08:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1167
MAZEL TOV on that 1 there. ALOHA from the Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Rigbyfab4 liked this post
post #3 of 23 Old 01-13-2018, 09:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 168
aboard! From the great state of NY.

That is a very solid unit that you will be happy with. I know it is exciting getting a new beast. Personally I would leave it alone for a bit, try it out see how it works first. If after using it you feel it needs some adjustments/modifications then go ahead. If your dealer did a good job assembling, it should function well out of the box. Some users especially taller ones have had issues with the headlight positioning on these blinding them and just not being bright enough. I would suggest you change the dino/ conventional oil to a fully synthetic 5W30 after 5 hours of use. Always use a quality stabilizer that addresses ethanol like Marine Stabil or Star Tron add it to your gas can right after you buy gas. Best of luck with your new machine and keep us posted on how she performed after her maiden voyage.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

post #4 of 23 Old 01-13-2018, 09:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigbyfab4 View Post
Morning everyone,

I am expecting delivery Monday on 28” Deluxe SHO from a local hardware store. Replacing a 1990’s 22” Toro Power Throw 522 (5 hp). Hoping for a nice improvement after fighting the most recent blizzard for six hours (two outings, one during, one after)! Based in northern New England. Fingers crossed for lots of good service from the new machine. Could use some tips from this group for delivery!

1) Should I try the auto turn adjustment in the sticky video prophalacticly, or only if I start having problems with it?

2) Are there items I should check on delivery or any other common trouble signs to watch for?

3) I read some threads about people messing with their headlights (for glare?). What’s the current best practice or recommendation? Should I be thinking about adding supplemental lighting?

4) Is the addition of drift bars recommended or not necessary? Sometimes I like to cut back the plow’s work on our private road to keep it as wide as it should be.

5) Heated Hand Grips accessory: Do folks who have it like it? I am considering asking for that for Christmas 2018.

This is my first post ever, so thanks for the information!

Congrats on your new purchase.

FIRST THING I DO. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE OIL IN THE ENGINE and it's at the proper level on a flat surface.

In general when I get any new piece of equipment, I check bolt/nut tightness and give it a good "look over" to see if everything is in it's place. On delivery, I first look at the box/crate for any obvious damage. Sometimes idiots using the fork lift from the terminal, will destroy/stab the box or crate if your buying it from an online source. In your case, I hope your dealer does this.

I would use the machine first before making any adjustments to the auto turn.

See if the light bothers you. If so, adjust accordingly. If you live on a busy road, you can add other lights, add reflective tape to the blower, wear a bright yellow/orange green safety vest. Orange hunting hat etc. to increase your visibility at the road.

With the drift cutters. It depends how many times you'll go out during a big storm. When I know a big storm is going to hit, I usually go out when 6-8 inches are on the ground, and do that as much as needed. It just makes it easier for snow placement moving smaller amounts each time. I like to use a square metal dirt shovel at EOD. I break the hard pack with the shovel first, then I'll use the blower. Much easier on the equipment this way.

If your hands tend to get real cold. Heated grips are nice. I tend to sweat. I have several pairs of different weight/insulated gloves that I use depending on the temperature.

I always run any new engine several times before putting a load on it. For a new blower, I would run it for 10-15 minutes varying the throttle at different rpm's. Shut down, let cool, then run it again for a few of these cycles for about an hour total.
Change the oil after 5 hours of run time.

Anything major, bring it in for warranty.

Last edited by mtblade; 01-13-2018 at 09:59 AM.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-13-2018, 11:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
I just took delivery on a Deluxe 28 SHO in Massachusetts just before the last major storm. It worked like a champ - it was replacing in aging Toro Power Max 828 which was a beast by the way!! I have a fairly smooth hot topped driveway that's showing it's age. I noticed that the metal skids, sometimes, would get caught on a small heave or crack and that would cause the unit to track slightly left or right because of the auto-turn (which I really like by the way) - no big deal, just go slower and pay attention. After reading more posts from this forum I decided to purchase the Ariens Poly skids as they supposedly make a huge difference on Hot Top with the auto-turn. Have not had a chance to test them out as yet. Awesome machine, tons of power, excellent build quality and the dealer set it up nicely!
post #6 of 23 Old 01-13-2018, 04:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Great machine. I just used mine for the first time.

Check your fuel tank with a flashlight. I looked in mine before adding fuel but nothing caught my eye. After I used it I looked to see how much fuel it used and seen some stuff laying on the bottom. It's like a metallic "dust". I used a telescopic magnet to fish it out the best I could.

IMG_2393 (2) by Vincent Lemmon, on Flickr
post #7 of 23 Old 01-13-2018, 06:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
WOW !!!!! That's a **** load of metal. All that came out of your tank ??????
post #8 of 23 Old 01-13-2018, 07:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtblade View Post
WOW !!!!! That's a **** load of metal. All that came out of your tank ??????
yes
post #9 of 23 Old 01-13-2018, 07:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
I would go to the store and have them go through it with you before they deliver it. Go through everything with them right there, so if there's a problem they know right away, and in their presence.

As to the metal in the gas tank.....not good. Not good at all. Almost as bad as a pile of aluminum shavings I saw fall out of a brand new SBC head once. That's just sloppy QC.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-15-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince28SHO View Post
Great machine. I just used mine for the first time.

Check your fuel tank with a flashlight. I looked in mine before adding fuel but nothing caught my eye. After I used it I looked to see how much fuel it used and seen some stuff laying on the bottom. It's like a metallic "dust". I used a telescopic magnet to fish it out the best I could.
I just took delivery on the unit. Thanks for the advice and input everyone!

I am confirming that my gas tank also has the metal filings in it...so I am also going to use a magnet on a stick to take care of it. My tank has a filter right under the cap, which I thought was smart. Thanks again all, Ill let you know how its going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page