First real run since gettin' 'er tweaked. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-23-2014, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
First real run since gettin' 'er tweaked.

Had some drifting of snow today I had to deal with plus a few inches from the last clipper. She did fine since my tweaks. Being able to disengage the impeller while moving was great. I think I've got the thing leveled about as best I'm going to do and it did track a bit better now.

I'm still out on the auto-turn. Maybe the ArmorSkids will help, I hope so. The AT took the thrower out of my hands and nearly into the front of my car because it caught a groove; not cool. And, again, the grips are horrendous. Gotta get up to the Harley dealer or somewhere for real grips.

Once I play with it more to get a better feel of the AT and better grips I think it'll be a very sweet machine. I'm really hoping the new/larger skids will help the AT issue out too.

But overall nice to have that thing to sling around now. Come on Winter, bring it on!!!

2014 Ariens 921032 (Deluxe 30")
291cc
Anti-Auger Lock Mod applied
DOT reflective tape
ArmorSkids (soon)
Upgraded grips (soon)

Eventually.....LED fog light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-23-2014, 04:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 225
Thanks (Received): 295
Likes (Given): 1887
Likes (Received): 666
i can't say if the armor skids will help with the auto turn on your ariens but what they help with is uneven pavement and your machines ability to seemlessly ride up over it

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 11 Old 01-23-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm hoping the AS will not catch in the grooves of the snow/ice as much. I know it's not going to make it perfect but just a bit better will help.

291cc
DOT reflective tape
ArmorSkids (soon)
Upgraded grips (soon)

post #4 of 11 Old 01-23-2014, 10:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
I would love to remove the auto turn on my mine.

2010 John Deere X720 w/ 47" snowblower
1989 Toro 824- Sold
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921035- Sold
post #5 of 11 Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I got my Deluxe 28+ back from the dealer last Saturday with the bolt fixed and a complete readjustment/aligning. I was able to use it on Wednesday for a couple of inches of snow, so not a great test. I decided to start fresh by purging my brain of my past experience and apply some of the things I've read on this board. I bought the Armor Skids but have not put them on yet so the machine was stock. Here are my findings. There were no issues from the bolt replacement. I found using a lighter touch on the handles and not pushing the machine around reduced the wiggle waggle, kind of just guide the machine. Pulling rather than pushing, as many have written, does help. I found I fought the machine less on the sloped portion of my driveway. So my conclusion. Overall the machine was better maybe because I've learned a little maybe because of the setup. The auto-turn is great for making quick turns. Is auto-turn perfect, no. Do I want to go back to solid axle, no. I'll put the armor skids on for the next storm and if they help to reduce the pulling a little bit more the machine will be good enough for me. If they could increase the force required (or make it adjustable) to initiate the auto-turn this thing would be perfect.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-24-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks JTH. Look forward to the AS upgrade report.

Had it back out today to clear some snow that had fallen around the cars since I was moving them around. Of course, plenty of power (love that) but still the AT would catch a groove and off to the races I was. Maybe if it wasn't so adept at getting the turn going it would be better.

Based on the AT videos I wonder if the sensitivity will get worse as the metal parts wear. I do miss my solid axle....for now. I too hope that as my experience grows with AT it gets better.

291cc
DOT reflective tape
ArmorSkids (soon)
Upgraded grips (soon)

post #7 of 11 Old 01-25-2014, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thumbs up

Had to clear more drifts today thanks to high winds.

Machine did very nice. Cut my time down on the driveway big time. I was reading through an AT post and someone said to just guide the machine through the snow, let it do the work. So I did. Much, much better.

I clear a two width lane back out to the chicken coop and right now it's about 15" deep on the sides. The wind fills it and then some. I put the speed on the second notch and guided her basically with my fingertips. She did great. Throwing snow easily 40' and no fighting me. Getting a little better each time I learn what her personality is. I can see this new machine is going to save me a lot of time and effort.

Soon I may like this as much as my Ariens roto-tiller.

Oh, one more thing; are the heated handgrips worth it? How hot can they really get?

291cc
DOT reflective tape
ArmorSkids (soon)
Upgraded grips (soon)

post #8 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 03:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnTim View Post
Had some drifting of snow today I had to deal with plus a few inches from the last clipper. She did fine since my tweaks. Being able to disengage the impeller while moving was great. I think I've got the thing leveled about as best I'm going to do and it did track a bit better now.

I'm still out on the auto-turn. Maybe the ArmorSkids will help, I hope so. The AT took the thrower out of my hands and nearly into the front of my car because it caught a groove; not cool. And, again, the grips are horrendous. Gotta get up to the Harley dealer or somewhere for real grips.

Once I play with it more to get a better feel of the AT and better grips I think it'll be a very sweet machine. I'm really hoping the new/larger skids will help the AT issue out too.

But overall nice to have that thing to sling around now. Come on Winter, bring it on!!!
How did you disengage the impeller while moving? I am kinda iffy about the lock feature.
I just purchased a Deluxe 28 last week and only used it once kinda 2" snow I just had to try it and burn the new off the muffler.
I wasn't to sure if I liked the Ariens until I pulled my old Craftsman 5/24 track drive out of the shed a couple of minutes ago so my son could take it home with him.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 04:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnTim View Post
Oh, one more thing; are the heated handgrips worth it? How hot can they really get?
The heated grips do work well, but have their limitations. It's been pretty cold here, we've had days in the single digits, at times below 0F in the early mornings and those days it didn't feel like they were on - hands were pretty cold even with gloves. There have been a few times I've snowblowed without gloves (not below 0F), when i was in a hurry, kept my hands nice and toasty. I recently read somewhere that heated grips heat up to approximately 125F, haven't tested this though.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-28-2014, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnJim View Post
How did you disengage the impeller while moving? I am kinda iffy about the lock feature.
I just purchased a Deluxe 28 last week and only used it once kinda 2" snow I just had to try it and burn the new off the muffler.
I wasn't to sure if I liked the Ariens until I pulled my old Craftsman 5/24 track drive out of the shed a couple of minutes ago so my son could take it home with him.
Hey Jim,

(I go through Blaine every day to work!) I replied to Notes on this at the link below. I admit, as by my many posts on it, I hated the thing when I got it. Once I had the auger lock removed and got the skids adjusted for my driveway it's been much better. With the winds lately I'm removing up to 20" + of drifts AT SPEED and it's kicking butt and taking names.

One hint I got from someone is not to fight the machine, let it do the work. I have and now my hands don't ache and it's working much better. The auto-turn has its pluses and minuses but it's getting better. Right now my biggest gripe are the [email protected] But those will be easy enough to fix, just got to get off my butt and do it.

Good luck.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...uger-lock.html

291cc
DOT reflective tape
ArmorSkids (soon)
Upgraded grips (soon)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page