LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-15-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 31
Likes (Received): 7
Cracks in Auger Housing

I just discovered a nice crack in my auger housing in my 1973 32" 10000 series.

I am not exactly thrilled about this, since it was certainly there before I bought the machine and I overlooked it.

How hard is it to repair something like this? I'd ideally like to hammer it back into place and weld it. Is it even worth repairing?

Honestly I am getting fed up with this thing. Between replacement parts being non-existent and now this, what a PITA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6873.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	125602  

Last edited by WalkThisWhey; 01-15-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-15-2018, 05:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 648
Plenty of Steel to Weld, unlike Today's Junk. Hammer and Weld it. Parts are Available if You Know Where to Look.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat, jrom liked this post
post #3 of 13 Old 01-15-2018, 05:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
You can drill a hole at the end of the crack, to at least help stop it from spreading further. One way to repair it would be to clean up the rust where it needs to be welded, and somehow get it back into position (maybe clamps, vs hammering?), then weld it. When I bought my Ariens (much newer), I discovered a broken weld at the corner of the bucket. Fortunately it wasn't bent, so welding it back together wasn't a big deal.

Because this "flap" goes over a bent area of the other piece, you might be able to hammer/clamp it back into-position, drill a hole through both, and run a bolt through them. If you can weld it yourself, great, do that. But if not, this might be a simpler, cheaper approach.

Sorry to hear about the issues. Hopefully once you get it back in-shape, it will be ready for years of service, without additional hassle.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks WalkThisWhey thanked for this post
post #4 of 13 Old 01-15-2018, 05:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 149
Had similar on my Yardman 7100, just welded it up, primed and painted,... better than new ....
post #5 of 13 Old 01-15-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 31
Likes (Received): 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
Plenty of Steel to Weld, unlike Today's Junk. Hammer and Weld it. Parts are Available if You Know Where to Look.
Thanks Jack - it is pretty thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
You can drill a hole at the end of the crack, to at least help stop it from spreading further. One way to repair it would be to clean up the rust where it needs to be welded, and somehow get it back into position (maybe clamps, vs hammering?), then weld it. When I bought my Ariens (much newer), I discovered a broken weld at the corner of the bucket. Fortunately it wasn't bent, so welding it back together wasn't a big deal.

Because this "flap" goes over a bent area of the other piece, you might be able to hammer/clamp it back into-position, drill a hole through both, and run a bolt through them. If you can weld it yourself, great, do that. But if not, this might be a simpler, cheaper approach.

Sorry to hear about the issues. Hopefully once you get it back in-shape, it will be ready for years of service, without additional hassle.
The drill and bolt idea is pretty good. I don't have a welder which makes this frustrating but next season I will give this a try.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-15-2018, 06:07 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
thats pretty common on 10000 series when people dont change/adjust their skids and scraper. just hammer the metal back weld it and adjust skids, more then likely scraper is shot. i can see somebody neglected to replace there skids, metals gone and you can see through to concrete
post #7 of 13 Old 01-15-2018, 08:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
Broke on my JD because the skids weren't adjusted. No big deal just pushed it back to the original weld spot and welded it up, never had another issue out of the housing. Did have to replace the clearing blade though. I still need new skids but I'll get through this winter.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-15-2018, 09:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 180
Likes (Received): 41
Ive had to weld MTD blowers where the bucket and body hook together. Common on them to crack, there is alot of flex in the connection. Weld em up and carry on. As long as there is enough metal you can weld it.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-16-2018, 02:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 256
yup, nothing to get bent out of shape about. Especially on a 1973 machine. 45 years old. You would have cracks and scrapes and be bent out of shape too at 45.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-16-2018, 03:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 399
Beautiful meat to cook up there, no problem.

Clean it up, clamp and tack the flanged part first then do the actual crack. Drill the end as suggested to help stop the spread, and to give the weld a place to 'bite' there.

Piece o' cake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page