24 SHO Platinum EFI - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 92 Old 01-21-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
24 SHO Platinum EFI

I'm new to the forum, so thx in advance for any help! I'm about ready to buy an Ariens 24Sho Platinum EFI. Any comments on the EFI dependability or service?
dvlack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 92 Old 01-21-2018, 11:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Cardo111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,052
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 168
aboard!

I have the carbureted version. It's a nice unit had/have some issues with the fuel tank and gas cap some leaking and an overcomplicated fuel filler neck assembly. That has been addressed and corrected on the current model. It is a powerul, feature rich machine. There may have been some starting issues with the EFI, last year per some of the reviews out there. It's in its second year now, last year a lot of potential buyers took a wait and see approach because the technology was new to snowblowers. While not too popular on the forum at this point, actual owners should be weighing in soon enough.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 01-21-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Cardo111 is offline  
post #3 of 92 Old 01-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Jackmels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ma.
Posts: 2,040
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 648
Stay Away from the EFI. Carbs work Fine, and are User Friendly.
Jackmels is offline  
post #4 of 92 Old 01-21-2018, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,163
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
Stay Away from the EFI. Carbs work Fine, and are User Friendly.
I couldn't agree more.
jsup is offline  
post #5 of 92 Old 01-21-2018, 12:57 PM
Senior Member
 
stromr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CNY
Posts: 485
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
There have been some problems with the EFI system as used by Ariens. I can't find the thread where I read about a couple of people having problems with them. How wide spread it is will be hard to tell as we don't know how many of them Ariens has sold compared to the number of problems. If I had the money to spend on a new snowblower I wouldn't hesitate to buy one since they've now been out a year. For me regardless of how simple carbs are to work on and how we all know all the problems you can have with carbs my faith in new technology tells me EFI will be better. There will always be rational from people my age (70) and younger who won't embrace new technology until it's old technology. So be it, If I take the risk on new tech and get burned, c'est la vie. If it works for me, great! If it works for you even better!
stromr is offline  
post #6 of 92 Old 01-21-2018, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,163
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post
There have been some problems with the EFI system as used by Ariens. I can't find the thread where I read about a couple of people having problems with them. How wide spread it is will be hard to tell as we don't know how many of them Ariens has sold compared to the number of problems. If I had the money to spend on a new snowblower I wouldn't hesitate to buy one since they've now been out a year. For me regardless of how simple carbs are to work on and how we all know all the problems you can have with carbs my faith in new technology tells me EFI will be better. There will always be rational from people my age (70) and younger who won't embrace new technology until it's old technology. So be it, If I take the risk on new tech and get burned, c'est la vie. If it works for me, great! If it works for you even better!
There is no advantage to EFI on a snowblower. I love EFI for cars, for a number of reasons, or equipment that works in different environments under constantly changing loads. The operational circumstances a snowblower, lawnmower, small engines in general, work within very defined parameters.

For snowblowers it introduces a level of unnecessary complexity, points of failure, and circumstances that aren't necessary.

And it's not an Ariens thing, it's an industry thing. Ariens isn't making the EFI system, and it's totally possible they all manufacturers are using the same one or two.
jsup is offline  
post #7 of 92 Old 01-21-2018, 01:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Quesnel British Columbia
Posts: 47
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 9
Just as Tecumseh was, now its Briggs, Honda and LCT. We will continue to see the fuel systems change on small engines.
Auto chokes on small engines were a stop gap fix.
Emissions compliance is the big thing...and complying. Canada (Ontario) is about to embark on a "minimum 10%" while here in BC we now see as much as 15%.
We can grumble and fight it, but in 10-15 years or less it will be a reality...just like some of us remember when a 350 was a 350, and it had a 2 or 4 barrel.
The big question is do you want to get in on the first, second or third generation....
For us old guys, until they all blow up there will always be a few Snow King engines around...
3vanman is offline  
post #8 of 92 Old 01-21-2018, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,163
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3vanman View Post
Just as Tecumseh was, now its Briggs, Honda and LCT. We will continue to see the fuel systems change on small engines.
Auto chokes on small engines were a stop gap fix.
Emissions compliance is the big thing...and complying. Canada (Ontario) is about to embark on a "minimum 10%" while here in BC we now see as much as 15%.
We can grumble and fight it, but in 10-15 years or less it will be a reality...just like some of us remember when a 350 was a 350, and it had a 2 or 4 barrel.
The big question is do you want to get in on the first, second or third generation....
For us old guys, until they all blow up there will always be a few Snow King engines around...
I've seen a number of threads here about re-jetting a carb and how it totally changed the attitude of the machine. Won't be able to do that with EFI.

I'm not disagreeing it's coming, I just don't think it's necessary, and I don't think people will be happy when the deficiencies are exposed.
jsup is offline  
post #9 of 92 Old 01-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Senior Member
 
1132le's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: ma
Posts: 1,165
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 193
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
I've seen a number of threads here about re-jetting a carb and how it totally changed the attitude of the machine. Won't be able to do that with EFI.

I'm not disagreeing it's coming, I just don't think it's necessary, and I don't think people will be happy when the deficiencies are exposed.
Yoiu dont need to rejet efi
Thats what efi does its always right on the mark
efi produces a stronger flatter torque curve below peak torque ( just what blowers like)
it starts better
the gov is instant which makes the 306cc 30 efi feel like a 369cc without efi i tested one vs a non efi
didnt you say something about have you ever used one before in a prior thread?

That said ill take the carb motor and make it run right
1132le is online now  
post #10 of 92 Old 01-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Quesnel British Columbia
Posts: 47
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
I've seen a number of threads here about re-jetting a carb and how it totally changed the attitude of the machine. Won't be able to do that with EFI.

I'm not disagreeing it's coming, I just don't think it's necessary, and I don't think people will be happy when the deficiencies are exposed.
I have read many articles about 'emissions" improvements, and agree that many wonder why. Increasing the minimum ethanol content in gas is the first, and if I am to believe some of the "rationals" for fuel injection systems this would be one.

I have attached a "joke" I found on line, but wondering if/when we may see such ideas floated by governments.

Ontario requires emissions tests for lawn mowers
3vanman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome