If your Ariens keeps stalling, check gas cap!!!!! - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
If your Ariens keeps stalling, check gas cap!!!!!

Of course during the first major snow storm of the year my Ariens snowblower decided to quit!!! I had used it two days before and it ran fine.

I got one path to the end of my driveway done and it quit. I had to push it back into my garage. Countless times it started, however it wouldn't stay going. I removed and cleaned the spark plug, added more gas, etc. etc. to no avail. I gave in and called the local Ariens service center the next morning. The technician came removed and checked the carburetor and performed some other checks. He finally concluded that the gas cap was the cause of the engine stopping. There is supposed to be a metal diaphragm installed inside the top of the gas cap. This controls the air flow. Apparently this had fallen out. This is what was causing the engine to stall. I purchased a new gas cap and replaced it. So far the machine is running smoothly. Before you take major steps to repair your snowblower, check out your gas cap. This might be the culprit!!!

Last edited by bwdbrn1; 01-01-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Welcome to the Snow blower Forums, and thanks for that reminder abby1234. Too often we "over complicate" the problem, even the Ariens tech did, when the solution is actually a simple one.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby1234 View Post
Of course during the first major snow storm of the year my Ariens snowblower decided to quit!!! I had used it two days before and it ran fine.

I got one path to the end of my driveway done and it quit. I had to push it back into my garage. Countless times it started, however it wouldn't stay going. I removed and cleaned the spark plug, added more gas, etc. etc. to no avail. I gave in and called the local Ariens service center the next morning. The technician came removed and checked the carburetor and performed some other checks. He finally concluded that the gas cap was the cause of the engine stopping. There is supposed to be a metal diaphragm installed inside the top of the gas cap. This controls the air flow. Apparently this had fallen out. This is what was causing the engine to stall. I purchased a new gas cap and replaced it. So far the machine is running smoothly. Before you take major steps to repair your snowblower, check out your gas cap. This might be the culprit!!!
Why would a "qualified" tech look at the most simple fix after preforming all those other things? I would NOT have paid him....what did he say when you asked: "why wouldn't you have checked that first?" Did you make sure he sold you an "updated" cap? If not you will have the same problem again. Was the engine a Tecumseh?

Happy New Year
post #4 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
post #5 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtick007 View Post
Why would a "qualified" tech look at the most simple fix after preforming all those other things? I would NOT have paid him....what did he say when you asked: "why wouldn't you have checked that first?" Did you make sure he sold you an "updated" cap? If not you will have the same problem again. Was the engine a Tecumseh?

Happy New Year
Thanks for your reply. Good question why the tech didn't check the simplest thing first!!!! The video regarding the gas cap was interesting too. I bought the gas cap with the aluminum looking diaphragm in it. That is all they had. I went to the parts store myself to purchase it, or it would have meant another service call. Today I went out to blow some snow and only one of my wheels is working. I couldn't believe it.
Any ideas on a simple fix, or do I need to pay another $100.00 for them to tell me that I need a gas cap? I try not to complain about little things!! When I think of the poor souls in Connecticut that lost their children, my problems with the snowblower seem very very small!!!! Happy New Year to you as well!!!!
post #6 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtick007 View Post

Happy New Year
Thanks for your reply. Good question why the tech didn't check the simplest thing first!!!! The video regarding the gas cap was interesting too. I bought the gas cap with the aluminum looking diaphragm in it. That is all they had. I went to the parts store myself to purchase it, or it would have meant another service call. Today I went out to blow some snow and only one of my wheels is working. I couldn't believe it.
Any ideas on a simple fix, or do I need to pay another $100.00 for them to tell me that I need a gas cap? I try not to complain about little things!! When I think of the poor souls in Connecticut that lost their children, my problems with the snowblower seem very very small!!!! Happy New Year to you as well!!!!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 06:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I am not sure what model you have, but some snowblowers use a "pin lock" system on the wheels and the axle has 2 holes. If you put the pin through the wheel and the axle the wheel is driven. If you put the pin through the outside hole then the wheel just spins on the axle and allows easier turning. Maybe the tech moved the pin while he was pushing the blower around your garage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page