Only One Wheel Working - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Only One Wheel Working

It's me again, the man with the bad gas cap!!! Today I went out to blow snow and only one of my wheels is functioning properly. The left one moves very little and very slow. Any ideas on a fix, or do I spend another $100.00 to have a service tech come twice in one week!!!!!!!
Thanks for any help in advance!!!!!!!!
abby1234 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Moderator
 
Shryp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 4,159
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I am not sure what model you have, but some snowblowers use a "pin lock" system on the wheels and the axle has 2 holes. If you put the pin through the wheel and the axle the wheel is driven. If you put the pin through the outside hole then the wheel just spins on the axle and allows easier turning. Maybe the tech moved the pin while he was pushing the blower around your garage?
Shryp is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
I am not sure what model you have, but some snowblowers use a "pin lock" system on the wheels and the axle has 2 holes. If you put the pin through the wheel and the axle the wheel is driven. If you put the pin through the outside hole then the wheel just spins on the axle and allows easier turning. Maybe the tech moved the pin while he was pushing the blower around your garage?

Thanks for replying! I'm not sure how I'd correct this. I'll look around and see what kind of damage I can do!!! Hopefully not!!!!! Thanks again!!!!
abby1234 is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,620
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
Wheel

Some Ariens have a pin that can be changed to unlock the wheel

You pull it out and turn in and put it and it unlocks the wheel to make it easier to turn corners, but only one wheel is then driven.

Others have a bolt that goes through the hub and axel

Sometimes the bolt is pulled, the wheel pushed in and the bolt is put back only in the axel. That allows the wheels to freewheel, making them easier to move by hand.

Hope you issue is that simple to take care of. Let us know.
HCBPH is online now  
post #5 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Moderator
 
Shryp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 4,159
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
Some Ariens have a pin that can be changed to unlock the wheel

You pull it out and turn in and put it and it unlocks the wheel to make it easier to turn corners, but only one wheel is then driven.
Not exactly correct. Those Ariens actually have an automotive style differential and both wheels are driven when the pin in unlocked. It makes turning really easy, however, if one wheel is on ice or off the ground then it will spin and the other wheel won't turn.
Shryp is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #6 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,620
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
Locking pin

I stand corrected. Good to learn something new every day
HCBPH is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
I stand corrected. Good to learn something new every day
The service tech returned yesterday. He had left the Remote Axle Lock Control
on. I had never used it, nor did I know what it was for. Am I observant or what!!! I didn't get charged for the service call. Thanks again for your help.
abby1234 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
 
sscotsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NY, USA
Posts: 3,676
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
Not exactly correct. Those Ariens actually have an automotive style differential and both wheels are driven when the pin in unlocked. It makes turning really easy, however, if one wheel is on ice or off the ground then it will spin and the other wheel won't turn.
I LOVE the differential on my '71 Ariens!
both wheels turn independently of each other, turning the machine is a breeze, yet both wheels are always powered! brilliant..

After I bought the Ariens, and began doing research on snowblowers in general, I was amazed to find out many modern snowblowers do *not* have a true differential! I just assumed it would be something all snowblowers would have by default..but many modern snowblowers do not, because of cost..

Scot


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sscotsman is online now  
post #9 of 15 Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 66
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
I LOVE the differential on my '71 Ariens!
both wheels turn independently of each other, turning the machine is a breeze, yet both wheels are always powered! brilliant..
That doesn't sound brilliant to me. An ordinary differential on a snowplow jeep sucks in snow and that's with 4wd - you want a limited slip differential. I'd expect the same on a snowblower, otherwise one wheel would slip on the ice/snow.

I presume there must be a differential lock - preferably operable from the handles. Is there one?
snow80 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
 
sscotsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NY, USA
Posts: 3,676
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow80 View Post
That doesn't sound brilliant to me. An ordinary differential on a snowplow jeep sucks in snow and that's with 4wd - you want a limited slip differential. I'd expect the same on a snowblower, otherwise one wheel would slip on the ice/snow.

I presume there must be a differential lock - preferably operable from the handles. Is there one?
I dont know exactly what kind of differential it is..don't know specifically whats its called, or exactly how it works..I just know it works really well!

There is a lock on one axle..you can "unlock" it..which I guess unlocks one wheel, disengaging it from the transmission..but I don't know why you would want to do that exactly, when it works so well in the "locked" position..(im sure there is some good reason that I am simply not aware of)..but I have mine always in the "locked" position, which is "differential on" I guess you would say, both wheels powered..I never unlock it, and probably never will..works just fine in that position..even when the engine isnt running, I can wheel the machine around the garage very easily.

Scot


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sscotsman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome