LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-29-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Friction disc drive problem

I am working on a newer Ariens machine. The machine would not roll at all. I went thru the whole drive system and I think I may have found the problem. Is the steel disc that the rubber roller wheel rides on supposed to move back and forth? It looks like that bolt and roller is meant to slide inside the assembly. It took the disc off the housing and it seems to be ok but that inner sleeve does not move. I would take the bearings out to check it , but I am not sure how to remove them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-29-2018, 04:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 7
What machine your working on would be helpful. When you pull the lever to engage the drive the rubber friction disc should make contact with the metal friction disk. Are you sure the rubber friction wheel is not worn out? I recently replaced one but I honestly thought that the rubber looked good but someone more knowledgeable than me pointed out it was worn out. Sure enough replacing it fixed the problem. Good luck.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-29-2018, 05:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
either the rubber wheel moves to make contact w/disk or disk moves to make contact w/rubber wheel, depends which model you have and/or age of machine. pics would help.
engage the drive lever and see what moves if anything

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 16 Old 01-29-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
No, the rubber looks fine. It is actually pressing on it so tight that it wont move.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-29-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The model is 924XXX I will get the exact number and a photo
tomorrow, the machine is at work
post #6 of 16 Old 01-29-2018, 08:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntatap View Post
No, the rubber looks fine. It is actually pressing on it so tight that it wont move.
with engine running prop up rear of machine with tires off the ground, belly off so u can see the drive parts, does drive disk turn? engage drive lever, does rubber friction wheel turn against the drive disk?

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

post #7 of 16 Old 01-29-2018, 09:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 102
Thanks (Received): 163
Likes (Given): 341
Likes (Received): 644
Sounds Like a Drive Belt Issue if Friction Wheel is Making Contact.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-29-2018, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
If yours is an ST824 than the friction wheel should back away from the drive plate with the handle released. It's the friction wheel that pivots onto and off of the drive plate on that model. I used 924100

Can you start it or does it feel like it's "in gear" when you try to start it and won't roll even when you have it in neutral not running ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drive.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	129105  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #9 of 16 Old 02-02-2018, 07:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 98
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 362
Likes (Received): 1
Good luck. Photos would be cool .
post #10 of 16 Old 02-02-2018, 08:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 178
Likes (Given): 69
Likes (Received): 409
Garage
I'm going to give you an idea of what you should be looking for. What I wrote below may not apply to your Ariens but I'm sure you can pick up some ideas what to do and what to look for.

What no one stated, the round disk or plate moves up and down to make contact with the rubber disk. The plate engages the rubber disk. The rubber disk moves left to right, and right to left, when you shift gears. The location of the rubber disk on the plate determines what gear you are in.

Lift up the handles putting the snowblower on the front or face of the auger housing. Remove the bottom plate, there should be for screws, two of them you may need to only loosen, the other two you need to remove. Then turn the wheels, you'll see what's moving; shift the gears, you'll see the rubber disk moving; press the drive lever, you'll see the plate move up and down.

But as Jack Mel's mentioned, check the drive belt from the top to see if it's engaging. Squeeze the lever, turn the wheels, you'll now see everything.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale

Last edited by JLawrence08648; 02-02-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Jackmels thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page