post #1 of 4 Old 01-30-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 24 sho 921038 2014 LED LIGHTS

Hi Guy's

My Ariens 24 sho 921038 from late 2014 has a 60watt rated motor with both a halogen light and heated hand grips. I snipped the wires to the old light and added a bridge rectifier and installed an 18w LED light. The old light had a 20watt rated bulb so I thought a 18watt led light would be good enough. The light works great, but I had to buy two led light from Amazon. My question is can I add another led light and splice in to the wires to the bridge rectifier. I then would have 36watt of led light replacing 20watt of ac halogen light. Will this cause a burn out of the electrical system since a believe the heated hand grips are 30-35watts and the 36watts of LED lights will add up to 66-71watts on a 60watt rated motor? I could also keep the other LED light as a spare. Any help would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-31-2018, 03:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witz View Post
Hi Guy's

My Ariens 24 sho 921038 from late 2014 has a 60watt rated motor with both a halogen light and heated hand grips. I snipped the wires to the old light and added a bridge rectifier and installed an 18w LED light. The old light had a 20watt rated bulb so I thought a 18watt led light would be good enough. The light works great, but I had to buy two led light from Amazon. My question is can I add another led light and splice in to the wires to the bridge rectifier. I then would have 36watt of led light replacing 20watt of ac halogen light. Will this cause a burn out of the electrical system since a believe the heated hand grips are 30-35watts and the 36watts of LED lights will add up to 66-71watts on a 60watt rated motor? I could also keep the other LED light as a spare. Any help would be great. Thanks
18W rating does not necessarily mean 18W at the output voltage available from your stator.
It seems quite a few of the advertised/sold LED lamps are rated for voltages that go as high as 24 or 30V DC and being that Volts X Amps=Watts, there is no telling how much current they will draw when hooked up to your machine- it will depend on the voltage output of your machine when loaded with the heated grips AND the LEDs.
If you want to use the heated grips And 2 18W LED lamps at the same time, the short answer is, you will have to hook it up and monitor the AC current it draws from the stator to find out.
Here is why.
Based on what I measured on my Ariens (also equipped with a 60W stator), with both halogen lamp and heated grips ON, the total current draw was 4.2A @ 14V rms = 58.8VA while the "Volt Ampere" value does not translate exactly into Watts-it was close enough for me to take that value as the SAFE MAX (no more headroom) available.
In my case I planed on using 2 10W LED lamps rated for 12-24VDC to replace the halogen lamp. On the bench each LED drew about .5A @12V DC=6W (much less than the 10W advertised - at 24V they probably will be closer to 10W)
On the machine my measurements showed that with the 2 10W Leds and the heated grips ON the total current draw was only 3.7A @14.3Vrms=52.9VA. The LEDs only - drew less than 1A @ 15.2VDC=15W.
HTH
JerryR

To reply via Email: yjryba<at>yahoo<dot>com
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #3 of 4 Old 01-31-2018, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Smile Ariens 24 sho 921038 2014 LED LIGHTS

Jerry, thanks for the reply. I think I need to get my voltage tester out and measure what i'm getting with both the led light and the heated hand grips on before I add another led light.

Witz
post #4 of 4 Old 02-01-2018, 03:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 52
Garage
Last year I put two 18W LEDs on my blower and it works fine. It has the hand warmers and a hour meter all running on Briggs and Stratton AC power.

Maybe we have the same lights?

On my other (spare snowblower) I run 2 old school 35W halogens and when everything in on you see the lights dim slightly. If I turn the hand warmers off no dim. If I switch 1 light off no dim.

It works, but it's maxing out the electrical system.

That's why I put leds on the new machine.

I should swap them out but I'm not motivated enough because it works fine. I hate fixing something that not broken. I learned to just not turn everything on at the same time. I don't think you can burn the the windings out, but I will play it safe and not turn everything on at the same time....

Bob

Last edited by Ariens hydro pro; 02-01-2018 at 03:36 AM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page