Professional 21 (SS) Paddle Contact / Leftovers - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-01-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Professional 21 (SS) Paddle Contact / Leftovers

Hey all. LONG time lurker, but just registered today! I have a Deluxe 24 and just recently purchased a Professional 21 single stage. Don't really need two - but you can't have too many!

I received the Pro 21 today, assembled it and took it out for a quick run. We got ~5" last night. I've never used a SS unit today so I have a few questions.

1) How much snow should this thing be leaving behind? It is throwing a fair amount on my feet. For some reason, I envisioned a clear driveway. My driveway is new, smooth, concrete.

2) How much paddle contact is normal? When I engage the auger, this thing sounds like a super fast drum roll. I know it should make contact, but this feels like the paddles are going to wear out QUICK w/ this amount. I'm wondering if the amount of paddle contact is causing it to bounce slightly, throwing snow under the scraper.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-01-2018, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
to SBF rmeredit

Most are designed for the paddles to hit the ground and pull the machine forward. It's hard to say if yours is excessive.

The SS machines I've had in the past left some but not much. If it's leaving a lot of snow you should check the adjustment of the scraper bar. You didn't the model number but I'm seeing it might have a spring loaded scraper blade.

From the ad:
Spring-loaded Pivotal Scraper Blade Design
Moves with the contours of the ground to clean pavement
Triple reinforced for durability

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-20-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Sorry, it's a 938025. This year's professional 21.

Got to play with about 5" of powder today. No matter if I walk slow, or fast, this thing covers my feet with blowback. Ariens Support thought I was walking too fast.

One thing I noticed is it is throwing it back in the middle only. Going to flip it and see if s chunk of the spring loaded scraper is gone. Maybe broke in transit?
post #4 of 4 Old 02-21-2018, 07:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 248
Likes (Received): 292

Sounds like the machine is being tilted too far forward and the scraper is coming off the ground and allowing snow to travel behind the machine instead of up and out the chute.

There is a "zen" position where there's a good mix of propulsion from the paddle and the cleanest sweep possible.

Too far back; less propulsion,

Too far forward; lots of propulsion, but lots of "blow-by" as well

A rigid scraper has a very small ideal position (like a light switch) but a moveble scraper bar should have a bigger one

Could be a problem with the design itself, the scraper mechanism, or the Operator

Ariens knows snow so I'd check the latter two

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in