Ariens 28 deluxe 2015 model traction disc drive belt - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 02-16-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 112
Lightbulb Ariens 28 deluxe 2015 model traction disc drive belt

Ok so we all know that ariens makes it really difficult to match a after market belt to their blowers as you cannot find any specs for length width etc. My blower is a 921037 and the drive belt is a 07200717 this is the new # for the old 07200522. This belt according to ariens manual is supposed to be a 3L wrapped belt not a raw edge, but what they are selling is a raw edge belt. So I started looking for a wrapped belt .375 or 3/8 but could not find a cross that matched to the oem number. With the constant idler tension I can see that it should indeed have a wrapped belt not a raw edge. So upon further inspection I noticed that the traction drive sheave with the belt still on the machine was riding at the very bottom of the sheave (pulley) and when I measured the width of the pulley it is for a 1/2" belt and matches identical to the width of the auger drive pulley width that is a 17/32. The sheave on the crank for the traction drive is .375 wide or 3/8. So now I know why my belt is wearing at the bottom and taking chunks out of it. So has anyone else noticed this difference, I contacted the dealer and basically got an oh well! I tried to find out if any other Ariens with the AX motor had a top sheave that ran a 1/2" traction drive belt so that I could match both sheave widths of course he said he wouldnt know that. So has anyone noticed this and actually made the sheave change, if so what did you use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-16-2018, 01:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
my 921037 is .375 not 1/2
post #3 of 22 Old 02-16-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hello sir of which are you referring to the Belt , the top sheave , or the bottom sheave. My oem belt is a 3/8 the top sheave width is a 3/8 the bottom sheave however from factory is for a 1/2 belt and this is where I am getting the wear as 3/8 belt is bottoming out in the pulley. The next time you are under your belt cover look at the width of the the lower drive pulley and see if it matches the width of the auger pulleys. I am trying to find out if my machine has a wrong part in it or if this is an engineering flaw.
post #4 of 22 Old 02-16-2018, 01:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
both i have no wear on the belt
ive not looked at the bottom pulley
dont see ariens designing someting that does not work
and the bottom pulley part number is the same for most of if not all the 921 series its for sure the same as the 24 28 30 sho and 30 deluxe
post #5 of 22 Old 02-16-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
You are correct on how machines that use this set up. My point being that after 35 yrs. of working on everything with a motor I can say beyond any doubt that you can not effectively run a 3/8" belt in a pulley thats for a 1/2 belt. The V belt on any application when in the pulley that is sized correctly for that belt will be flush or almost flush with the top of the pulley, and this 3/8 belt is no wheres close to the top and is actually sitting better than 3/8 from the top, because its in a 1/2 pulley. I have had Ariens for over 30 yrs. so yes they make a good product but in this world any and all companies can and do make design flaws, So as you stated if there are all these blowers that have 2 different size (width) pulleys then could this as well be why the auto turn on these does not work as well as they thought it would. Mine would work with a brand new belt and soon start acting up.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-16-2018, 02:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
my auto turn works perfect best thing since sliced bread
my drive woks perfect
so does the whole machine
the 4 L pulley as i understand it can run 1/2 or 5/8 belts with the 1/2 running deeper in and is claimed better grip
Ive not measured the bottom pulley for the drive nobody else is having issues with that and pulley has been out for years
doughtfull ariens missed that being right
hardly fair to compare that to auto turn and a junky driveway( mines not a good driveway either still fine )
iam glad i have the orignal axle location much better down force on the bucket
I myself have 35 plus yrs working on things
post #7 of 22 Old 02-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
to SBF Lottstodo

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-16-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I am not out to debate if the machine is good or bad I wouldnt have bought it if I didnt believe it is a good machine. And yes there are several people that state that their auto turn is erratic and sometimes nonperforming on many other forums. I am glad that you have a perfect machine, mine however is not perfect that is how I came to discover the fact that it is running a 3/8 belt in a 1/2 pulley. I am simply asking people who can actually look at the lower traction drive pulley that has one of these models that use this set up and see if their belt is riding at the top of the pulley or the bottom, and if everyone starts saying its at the bottom then its a design flaw. If people start saying that theirs is at the top then my machine has the wrong sheave in it. Thats what I am looking for, actual verification of how the belt rides in the pulley on other machines. As I said my machine works but of the things that I have noticed in how it performs led me to look at things a little deeper. By the way I have changed this belt every season and never noticed it before as I was simply putting a belt on, it is not easy to see until you take a light and go look for it.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-16-2018, 03:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
just looked at mine
Bottom
drive never slips belt has no wear
no issue
If you dont think ariens tested that carry on
post #10 of 22 Old 02-16-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for looking. My belt as well shows no wear on top or sides however the inside is where I am getting the most wear. the rest of the belt looks brand new. If you look at the lower pulley with a flashlight at the very inside of the pulley V , on mine I can see the 1/4 inch track where the belt inside is riding so that is telling me that the actual belt sides are not what is creating the torque transfer but only the belt land and I am not getting the power transfer the way that is should. In the flat of my driveway I do not notice any real difference however on the uphill portion that rises about 7 ft in 50 ft that is where I can tell the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page