LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-18-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Left Wheel Clutch Wont Disengage

I have a Deluxe 30 Model 921013 with a left wheel clutch. When I engage the clutch, the machine turns left on a dime because there is no power to the left wheel. The problem is, when i relase the lever power does not return to the left band wheel and I'm forced to hold the line with only the right hand wheel driving the machine. I recently changed the friction wheel and took the opportunity to lubricate and adjust the clutch, but todays snowstorm revealed that i had not fixed the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180117_172752_1519007464470.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	133385  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-18-2018, 10:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 52
I think you misunderstand how it works. When you squeeze the handle, that DISENGAGES the clutch for the left wheel and there is no power to turn the left wheel. The right wheel continues to turn, thus the machine turns to the left. So your problem is when you release the handle, the clutch DOES NOT ENGAGE for the left wheel.

Start with some easy things. First, leave it in neutral (don’t squeeze the handle to engage the power to the wheels). Squeeze the clutch handle several times then pull the machine backwards moving it back and forth left to right several times. You may need to repeat several times. Often you can get it to engage that way. It’s possible that it also may have frozen with ice preventing it from re-engaging. Put it in a garage to warm it up. If that’s not possible, pull the belly pan and put a light bulb by the clutch using the heat from the bulb to thaw the clutch.

If all else fails, put it in the service position, take off the belly pan and watch the clutch mechanism as you squeeze and release the clutch handle.

Last edited by CO Snow; 02-18-2018 at 10:38 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-19-2018, 07:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
You are actually referring to the "remote wheel lock." It's not a clutch, and has nothing to do with the friction drive, which is why replacing the friction drive disc had no effect. The manual for your snowblower is available here: http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/04135800_ENG.pdfLook at pages 19 and 26/27 which describe the use and adjustment of the remote wheel lock.

This post https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-warranty.html has a little bit of additional information and a video which shows the lock in operation. I would be inclined to adjust the cable per the manual and see if that corrects the problem. If not, open up the bottom cover again and check it out - could just need to be cleaned and lubricated.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-19-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It's not that I don't understand how it works, it's that I'm a crummy writer!

I replaced the friction wheel because I ruined the original due to poor adjustment. I knew it had nothing to do with the remote wheel lock.

With the belly pan off, I did my best to lubricate the wheel lock mechanism, and with no snow on the ground, it worked like a charm. CO Snow's advice to move the machine backwards with no power to the wheels works - sometimes.

Thanks for your help and interest!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #5 of 8 Old 02-19-2018, 10:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
One other video on YouTube made mention of having to pull the lever a second time to get it to lock in again - does that help any? It also looks like there is a return spring - maybe yours has weakened over time?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-19-2018, 11:55 AM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 175
I had noted that as well . . .the manual says squeeze and release to lock, and squeeze and release again to unlock . . . never holding the control down, and that's not what I recall the OP saying he was doing. I thought I read 'squeeze to unlock, release to relock' which is not how it works, as per the manual . . .
post #7 of 8 Old 02-19-2018, 12:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
This old thread has some good videos of what I believe you are describing. Perhaps it will help.
Ariens Remote Wheel Lock not working!
post #8 of 8 Old 03-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Mhf145, How are you coming with the issue ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page