LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 01-28-2014, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
New acquisition, 1965 10M60

Just picked it up this evening! The machine is in very good shape, but the engine has seized. The seller recalls his father purchasing it from a widowed neighbor around 1970. Price was right, as he 'just wanted it out of the garage'. Pics to follow soon.

-Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 John Deere 1330se

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-29-2014, 07:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 42
The engine may just be "stuck." The rings fuse to the cylinder walls when sitting for a long time. A few ounces of mystery oil, or other penetrant, down the plug hole, a breaker bar and socket on the flywheel nut after a few days waiting. You could be back in business. MH
post #3 of 39 Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 24
Ken, your killing me here. I can't find a old one like yours within 2 hour ride and your picking up one a week! Nice find, can't wait to see pix.

Ray
1962 Ariens 10ML60
1979 Toro 524
1975 MTD Snowflite 4/22
post #4 of 39 Old 01-29-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here she is:

Here are more pics.

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #5 of 39 Old 01-29-2014, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead64 View Post
The engine may just be "stuck." The rings fuse to the cylinder walls when sitting for a long time. A few ounces of mystery oil, or other penetrant, down the plug hole, a breaker bar and socket on the flywheel nut after a few days waiting. You could be back in business. MH
Good suggestion on freeing the piston. I will pick up some Mystery Oil tomorrow. I have sprayed WD-40 in there since that's all I have on hand currently. The seller said it sat for 4 years. He actually got it started and was using it. When he started it up the second time, heard some 'knocking' so he turned it off. When I initially pulled on the recoil, it was moving, but not too smoothly, and I could hear some knocking sound. I pulled it slowly a few more times and that's when it seized up.

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #6 of 39 Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray 1962 10ML60 View Post
Ken, your killing me here. I can't find a old one like yours within 2 hour ride and your picking up one a week! Nice find, can't wait to see pix.
Ray, thanks for the compliments! I am pretty pleased with the acquisition. My plan is to open up the crankcase and explore a bit since I have never done it before. If all fails, I would mount the 212 Predator I purchased a few weeks ago.But not until I've explored my options on bringing this one back to life.

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #7 of 39 Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
When I was rolling it around today, I've noticed it has a differential. However, it does not have the differential lock on the wheel. Does that imply that the slip differential is standard on the 10M6, and the 10M6D adds the option of locking the differential?

I thought it was the other way around.... 10M6 is locked always just like my 10ML55's, and 10M6D has the slip differential.

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #8 of 39 Old 01-30-2014, 07:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestminsterFJR View Post
When I was rolling it around today, I've noticed it has a differential. However, it does not have the differential lock on the wheel. Does that imply that the slip differential is standard on the 10M6, and the 10M6D adds the option of locking the differential?

I thought it was the other way around.... 10M6 is locked always just like my 10ML55's, and 10M6D has the slip differential.
Look behind the wheels, you may have the ratchet wheel hubs on there and not a differential. They were an option you could add on that allowed the wheels to be unlocked as if there was a differential on there. They made it possible to use the tractor with the other trac team attachments. (Mower, chipper, lawn vac)

Ray
1962 Ariens 10ML60
1979 Toro 524
1975 MTD Snowflite 4/22
post #9 of 39 Old 01-30-2014, 08:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 42
Nice clean machine, Ken. If you were able to pull her over, the rings are not fused to the cylinder. The knocking could be the connecting rod...either loose rod cap, cracked or broken rod, or simply a lack of lubrication down there. Also, a valve guide may have some rust buildup that is causing a valve to stick and you may be hearing the lifter. A broken rod will often allow you to pull it only so far, and then it will jam up. If you pull your plug, and shine a penlight in the plug hole, you can watch to see if your valves and piston are all operational, and go from there. MH
post #10 of 39 Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 202
Congrats, I have a mid to late 60s vintage 10M6D as well and it doesn't have the locking diff either(but it does have a diff).

With the way the chute crank is configured on the mid 60s 10M6D, you should be able to slap the Predator onto it w/out having the chute crank interfering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page