Compact 24 Governor Slow to Respond to Load. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 03-17-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 2
Compact 24 Governor Slow to Respond to Load.

I have a 2015 920021 Compact 24. The engine starts and runs correctly with no load and with light load. When the load is increased, the engine speed will steadily decrease to a very slow rpm until either A) the governor kicks in abruptly and the machine will surge forward until the cycle is repeated, or B) I back the machine away from the load because of fear that the engine will buck - or even die - because of low rpm. When I pull the machine away from load the engine will recover speed but not as abruptly. The point at which the governor kicks in varies from "about time" tardy to "I want to scream" tardy.

I had bought a wireless tachometer to make sure that the baseline revs are correct, but the tach was DOA from the box so getting that diagnostic info will be delayed for a while. My ear tells me that the no load idle might be 10-20% slow, but I'm unclear how that would affect the tardy governor kick-in. I did keep the machine inside overnight to thaw any potential ice buildup in the governor, and that made no difference.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-17-2018, 12:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 294
It’s possible the carb has accumulated some varnish. The lean condition would cause it to handle load poorly.

With a cold engine, start the machine pull it off choke and give it a minute to warm up. Does the engine hunt. (Rpms surge up and down) after 60 seconds running the rpms should remain smooth. If hunting, does adding a little choke cause the rpms to smooth out.?

Next idle down the engine for a few seconds then quickly raise the throttle to full. Does the engine quickly and effectively rev to full or sputter and struggle.

Hunting and sputtering, clean the carb. Definitely check rpms once you get a working tach.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ksnh18 thanked for this post
post #3 of 24 Old 03-17-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
Itís possible the carb has accumulated some varnish. The lean condition would cause it to handle load poorly.

With a cold engine, start the machine pull it off choke and give it a minute to warm up. Does the engine hunt. (Rpms surge up and down) after 60 seconds running the rpms should remain smooth. If hunting, does adding a little choke cause the rpms to smooth out.?

Next idle down the engine for a few seconds then quickly raise the throttle to full. Does the engine quickly and effectively rev to full or sputter and struggle.

Hunting and sputtering, clean the carb. Definitely check rpms once you get a working tach.
The engine starts perfectly every time, requiring minimum choke and then none to run without stumbles or surges. And when under load and full speed when the governor kicks in the engine runs perfectly as well. I've had gummed up carb issues before and this doesn't seem to follow a similar path.
post #4 of 24 Old 03-17-2018, 01:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 294
Gotcha, so you have the machine lugging under load and rpms continue to fall. You release both auger and drive levers, the engine takes an unusual amount of time to return to full rpms? It stumbles for more then 2 seconds before springing back to full revs?

Iíd love a video of this. Canít hurt to clean the carb or at least drop the bowl to check for water contamination, or sediment. Lately Iíve even replaced relatively new spark plugs that caused poor engine performance.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-17-2018, 01:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
The first thing I would do is remove the carburetor heater box (the shroud around it), so that you can watch the governor linkage, and the actual throttle plate arm, during operation.

If the governor linkage is binding or dragging for some reason, and is unable to open the throttle plate, then that's your problem. Lubricate it, move whatever is interfering with it, etc. Your symptoms do kind of sound like this, though it isn't common, as far as I know. You would also now have access to the throttle plate arm, so you can open/close it manually, to observe what the engine does. Don't over-rev it, of course, or you could blow the engine apart. Move the linkage and throttle plate with the engine off, as well. Risk-free, and would let you feel how easily they move.

If, however, the governor is pulling the throttle plate arm open as soon as the RPMs drop, but the engine speed continues to falter, then you have a carburetor-type problem. Or at least, you can better understand what you're dealing with. Something likely related to fuel/air. A gummed up carb (though the symptoms don't really sound like that), and air leak, etc.

As just an easy test, does adding a little choke help at all? If you weren't getting enough fuel (running lean), adding choke might help, and could give some insight as to what's going on.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ksnh18 liked this post
post #6 of 24 Old 03-17-2018, 03:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 6
Governor disconnected.
Choke remaining near closed.

Any black smoke while it bogs down?
post #7 of 24 Old 03-17-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
Gotcha, so you have the machine lugging under load and rpms continue to fall. You release both auger and drive levers, the engine takes an unusual amount of time to return to full rpms? It stumbles for more then 2 seconds before springing back to full revs?
If I put the snowblower into deep snow and proceed at the slowest forward speed the engine will slowly lose revs and the chute output will steadily drop. When the engine seems to slow down to where it must start to buck and/or stall, then (and only then) the governor kicks in and engine revs go up abruptly without stumbling and snow output returns to normal. If I don't wait for the governor to kick in and instead disengage the drive and pull the machine backward away from the load the engine (and impeller) speed will return to normal, but more gradually than when the governor kicks in.

The primary issue is the bogging down before the governor kicks in. I have another similar machine and the revs do decrease under load but return to normal with none of the drama of the machine in my post. I'll work on that video!
post #8 of 24 Old 03-17-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanker View Post
Governor disconnected.
Choke remaining near closed.

Any black smoke while it bogs down?
The governor works at least enough to consistently rev the engine when it's slowed to near-stall speed under load. The issue is that the needed speed increase is very late to the party when it does kick in. I believe that the choke works as intended. The engine needs choke to start and is happy when choke is removed after 20-30 seconds of run time. No black smoke, and only a little typical smoke when cold-started.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-17-2018, 04:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 6
Try loosening the gas cap a bit, and put the machine under load.
Although somewhat rare, a blocked vent in your gas cap would starve the engine for fuel.
No doubt it's a spring loaded vent for evaporative purposes, it may be hanging up.
post #10 of 24 Old 03-17-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
The first thing I would do is remove the carburetor heater box (the shroud around it), so that you can watch the governor linkage, and the actual throttle plate arm, during operation.

If the governor linkage is binding or dragging for some reason, and is unable to open the throttle plate, then that's your problem. Lubricate it, move whatever is interfering with it, etc. Your symptoms do kind of sound like this, though it isn't common, as far as I know. You would also now have access to the throttle plate arm, so you can open/close it manually, to observe what the engine does. Don't over-rev it, of course, or you could blow the engine apart. Move the linkage and throttle plate with the engine off, as well. Risk-free, and would let you feel how easily they move.

If, however, the governor is pulling the throttle plate arm open as soon as the RPMs drop, but the engine speed continues to falter, then you have a carburetor-type problem. Or at least, you can better understand what you're dealing with. Something likely related to fuel/air. A gummed up carb (though the symptoms don't really sound like that), and air leak, etc.

As just an easy test, does adding a little choke help at all? If you weren't getting enough fuel (running lean), adding choke might help, and could give some insight as to what's going on.
I missed your post the first time through, sorry. All good stuff. I should be able to get to it this afternoon. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page