LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
Metal fuel tank liner flaking

Hi everyone - newbie here. A few years back I purchased a brand spanking new Ariens 28 Deluxe from the local hardware store. I haven't used it as much as I figured I would thanks to minimal snow fall, but over the course of the past 4 winters, I've used it a handful of times each year. It's still shiny and looks brand new. Unfortunately, I have had to take it in to have the carbs cleaned every year because the Briggs metal gas tank appears to have a coating that is flaking off inside. I am considering purchasing a new replacement tank, but I am wondering if this is common. Do I just have a defective tank, or will this just happen again? Seems like a plastic tank would be better than a metal tank, but I can't find a plastic tank that would be a suitable replacement.

Any help or advice would be fantastic. Thanks in advance and I apologize if this has been covered on a previous thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2018, 11:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 180
Likes (Given): 69
Likes (Received): 409
Garage
Search eBay or Amazon for gas tank relining kits. Normally it's a 3 step process, cleaning, etching, lining. You pour the stuff in and swirl it around.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Old 03-19-2018, 12:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 153
Just put in a clear in-line filter ,......
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Spanker liked this post
Old 03-19-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I asked my small engines mechanic about the in line filter and he said because of the design, there's no room for one. Also the fuel flow is interrupted. Sounded reasonable when he explained it to me, but I haven't spent a lot of time investigating this option.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 220
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
Just put in a clear in-line filter ,......
I asked my Ariens dealer's repair guy about this (been working on Ariens since the 70's). He told me not to do it because once the tank gets to approximately half empty, a pumpless gravity-fed carb will starve for fuel.

So, I started thinking of replacing the metal tank (early 70's Tecumseh H70), and the engine has a history (before I inherited it) of needing a carb cleaning - and in January it would start but not stay running YET AGAIN. I shopped plastic Tecumseh tanks, and $40 seems to me to be pretty steep - NOT including needing a shut off valve too.

I then figured out that it had an old fuel line that was deteriorating internally, definitely had been using old gas for a long time (more on that later), and after I got it I was using a plastic gallon filler tank that most likely was 20 years old with floaters acquired through the years on the bottom as I looked down in it.

My brother was always using old fuel poured from a metal 5 gallon filler tank that was older than I was. I remembered using that can back in the early 70's when my father bought us kids a new flat bottom fishing boat. I bet once he ran that tank dry, he'd fill all 5 gallons and use it to fill all my dad's machines.

I bet that tank didn't empty for a couple years. It was always in my dad's garage...which was famous for seepage getting into it because of a bad roof (the floor was always wet). Of course, this is also where the blower sat - it was badly rusted when I got it in 2015.

In short, I knew I had other "zips in the wire". So, I investigated everything. I bought a brand new plastic 2 gallon tank for refills, then changed the fuel line, then rebuilt the carb.

I then removed the H70's metal tank, swished new gas around for a good 5 minutes, then drained it thru a coffee filter. Not speck of rust came out. There were some floaters that looked like eroded rubber more than rust, and the gas was a tad yellowish compared to what I put in. So, I gave it another thorough gas rinsing which came out clean and clear, and put it back on.

From that point on, 3 tanks full of fresh fuel blowing snow in February - the engine ran better than it ever has in the 30 or so years my family owned it. I bet it probably ran more this February than it had the ENTIRE 10 years prior.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes dbert, mikeklaphake liked this post
Old 03-19-2018, 08:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 74
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 250
Likes (Received): 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
Search eBay or Amazon for gas tank relining kits. Normally it's a 3 step process, cleaning, etching, lining. You pour the stuff in and swirl it around.
I have tried this on a few motorcycle tanks and its sketchy at best...a last resort when a new replacement is either no longer available or like $800 if you can find one (such is the case for a rare 1980 Honda CBX tank, for example)

Spend the $ (20?) for a new one and assume the original was defective.

And drain it dry at the end of the season and spray the inside with wd-40 seafoam to protect it.

Draining a snowblower tank through the carb is very easy.

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower

Last edited by tdipaul; 03-19-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'll look for a replacement. They run about $50 from what I am seeing
Old 03-19-2018, 11:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 254
Just had to deal with a tank that had the gas cap missing and was left outside..... Well inside of tank was mucky with rust and still some water so I cleaned it out and filled it to the top with vinegar and let it sit a few days, Emptied it out and rinsed it with isopropanol to remove all water left and the inside of the tank looked almost new again. Then coated the inside with a little 2 stroke oil until I get to reinstall it and the gas will dilute the oil and just smoke a little but no rust and no harm.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlshawks View Post
I asked my Ariens dealer's repair guy about this (been working on Ariens since the 70's). He told me not to do it because once the tank gets to approximately half empty, a pumpless gravity-fed carb will starve for fuel.
Then just mount the fuel tank twice as high to compensate. LOL

No, seriously! The distance from the bottom of the tank to the fuel inlet at the carburetor is the expected 'head pressure' the fuel system is supposed to run under. Head pressure being the pressure created at the bottom of a column of liquid by the force of gravity. If you raise the tank higher in relation to where that inlet is, you will increase the head pressure, and thereby compensate for the resistance of the fuel filter. Head pressures can also be negative, at which point you're talking about the amount of vacuum required to lift a column of liquid.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
I found shaving in my Deluxe 28 SHO too. I think it's from the cap's locking tabs.

I put some magnets in the tank and swished the gas around to get the metal shavings out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in