post #1 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 220
Garage
My recent CL find

So, the back story is my two older Ariens are fairly rusty, and are showing their age (somewhat), more cosmetically than anything. They gave me fits in February when we were getting blowable snow every 2-3 days. So, I started searching for a potential parts machine for my 910962 for it is fairly rusted and suffered from 2+ decades of neglect by the prior operators.

I came across the attached 910965/910995 on CL recently and was able to acquire it for $50. It was a non-runner with "suspected carb issues". The owner inherited it from his grandpa, but then moved to a property that was so large that he bought a rider with mower and blower attachments. It therefore sat for his 5 years of ownership, and he was fairly certain it hadn't run in a long time prior as his grandpa became too old to operate it.

It was a long drive to look at let alone buy it...but the ad's pictures showed a mostly rust free example that had all the parts my '962 needs. The owner couldn't have been nicer, and wanted to sell it to someone whom he thought would keep it running for it had a very sentimental attachment to him. The ad lasted 2 months...he said I was the first person who contacted him (!).

He even had the original owner's documentation and an unused replacement belt. Therefore, sold!

It has at some point been repainted for the attachment's second coat is peeling somewhat and the color did not match exact...but there is zero evidence of pitting and rust is almost completely absent that I can see. It appears at some point a couple grease fittings on the auger shaft (with some interesting soldering/welding showing...but they work), otherwise a very clean machine.

Since I purchased it, the carb indeed was a mess - someone at some point tried to remove it, but it had the old carb flange setup (30195 part #, with screws and nuts to mount the carb), which they were unable to remove (the fasteners merely spun). I'd bet a repair shop told him, ain't worth fixing. I had to cut the nuts off with a Dremel (very carefully), then I found part #34712 - which has threaded holes for bolts to mount the carb (1/4"-20 x 3/4" worked for me - info provided for future internet searches).

After fitting that with new gaskets, a carb kit and thorough cleaning (a LOT of black gunk in the bowl and venturi), new fuel line/clamps, and an oil change to synthetic...she starts on the first pull. The engine absolutely runs fantastic...idles like a champ, revs to full nicely, zero popping. It shifts perfect, tires/rims in good shape, the auger turns freely and quietly.

I have a shade over $80 tops into it. She's definitely a keeper. And if we get enough snow tonight, she'll get used tomorrow morning for the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	910965 1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	522.7 KB
ID:	141713   Click image for larger version

Name:	910965 2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	141721   Click image for larger version

Name:	910965 3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	573.1 KB
ID:	141729  

Last edited by tlshawks; 04-08-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 12:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 170
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 583
Nice save! I hate to see these old girls get scrapped.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 12:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 687
Thanks (Received): 183
Likes (Given): 1100
Likes (Received): 1110
Garage
outstanding!

love stories like this and keeps my hopes alive.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #4 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 220
Garage
Thanks!

I just couldn't pass it up. Now I need to find more room for it in my shed - not minding that at all either.

Vintage snowblower fever, I haz it

I simply love these old machines. Every gas powered item I own except vehicles is from the 70's...chain saws, snowblowers, lawn mowers...even my boat motor. I also enjoy bargains, and in some fashion I wind up working on whatever I own anyway no matter how new or old it is, so why not?

This'll probably be the last addition for awhile unless another can't pass up bargain close to matching my 922003/8 (I affectionately named her Frankenstein, or "Frankie") presents itself close(r) by.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 04:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 648
Clean Machine, Good Score. Be Careful, They Multiply!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page