Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Cedar Rapids IA
My recent CL find
So, the back story is my two older Ariens are fairly rusty, and are showing their age (somewhat), more cosmetically than anything. They gave me fits in February when we were getting blowable snow every 2-3 days. So, I started searching for a potential parts machine for my 910962 for it is fairly rusted and suffered from 2+ decades of neglect by the prior operators.
I came across the attached 910965/910995 on CL recently and was able to acquire it for $50. It was a non-runner with "suspected carb issues". The owner inherited it from his grandpa, but then moved to a property that was so large that he bought a rider with mower and blower attachments. It therefore sat for his 5 years of ownership, and he was fairly certain it hadn't run in a long time prior as his grandpa became too old to operate it.
It was a long drive to look at let alone buy it...but the ad's pictures showed a mostly rust free example that had all the parts my '962 needs. The owner couldn't have been nicer, and wanted to sell it to someone whom he thought would keep it running for it had a very sentimental attachment to him. The ad lasted 2 months...he said I was the first person who contacted him (!).
He even had the original owner's documentation and an unused replacement belt. Therefore, sold!
It has at some point been repainted for the attachment's second coat is peeling somewhat and the color did not match exact...but there is zero evidence of pitting and rust is almost completely absent that I can see. It appears at some point a couple grease fittings on the auger shaft (with some interesting soldering/welding showing...but they work), otherwise a very clean machine.
Since I purchased it, the carb indeed was a mess - someone at some point tried to remove it, but it had the old carb flange setup (30195 part #, with screws and nuts to mount the carb), which they were unable to remove (the fasteners merely spun). I'd bet a repair shop told him, ain't worth fixing. I had to cut the nuts off with a Dremel (very carefully), then I found part #34712 - which has threaded holes for bolts to mount the carb (1/4"-20 x 3/4" worked for me - info provided for future internet searches).
After fitting that with new gaskets, a carb kit and thorough cleaning (a LOT of black gunk in the bowl and venturi), new fuel line/clamps, and an oil change to synthetic...she starts on the first pull. The engine absolutely runs fantastic...idles like a champ, revs to full nicely, zero popping. It shifts perfect, tires/rims in good shape, the auger turns freely and quietly.
I have a shade over $80 tops into it. She's definitely a keeper. And if we get enough snow tonight, she'll get used tomorrow morning for the first time.
Last edited by tlshawks; 04-08-2018 at 02:07 PM.