LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-01-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 42
Ariens 10M Lauson engines

These are my 2 Lauson First Series engines, the H45D and the H55A, all rebuilt, painted and ready for reinstall. I have decals to install and some minor touch-up needed because parts always seem to get dinged while awaiting assembly. Note the carbs are not repainted. The paint remaining on them will wear over time and not be replaced. Painted carburetors always seem to lose their paint in a nasty way. The new muffler hookup on the H55A was the closest I could come to original. The H55A must have had the old 12 volt starter at one time as it has the bulge in the blower housing and has a ringed flywheel. The H45D was pull only to start. Also shown is the new brass oil drain on the H45D and its original Gard.n.Yard nameplate indicating serial number 0609. MH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H45D Lauson.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	10185   Click image for larger version

Name:	H45D.E2B.carb.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	10193   Click image for larger version

Name:	H45D.Lauson.newbrassdrain.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	10201   Click image for larger version

Name:	H45D.ser.0609.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	10209   Click image for larger version

Name:	H55.Lauson.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	10217  

Click image for larger version

Name:	H55.Lauson.muffler.closeup.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	10225   Click image for larger version

Name:	H55.Lauson.new.muffler.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	10233   Click image for larger version

Name:	H55.Lauson.starter.bulge.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	10241  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-01-2014, 02:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 2
So that is not a Tecumseh? I'm not familiar with Lauson.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-01-2014, 02:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
Nice job, MH! I like the brass oil drain and would be interested in the parts list. I noticed that the Lauson labeled engines (1960 and 1961) has the thicker base compared to engines starting in 1962.

I did some research on the Lauson / Tecumseh relationship. Tecumseh purchased Lauson in 1956 to help jump start its engine division. From 1956 thru 1961, their products were labeled as Lauson / Tecumseh to help associate the new Tecumseh engine brand with the well established Lauson marque. By 1962, the Tecumseh brand has gained enough momentum that the Lauson association was no longer required and faded into history.

So technically speaking, the 1960 and 1961 engines were Tecumseh's as well.

-Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 John Deere 1330se

Last edited by WestminsterFJR; 02-01-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typos
post #4 of 13 Old 02-01-2014, 02:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 146
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 345
Lauson

I've got a 7HP Lauson on an old blower in the shed. I had it running last year but shoulder isn't up to recoil starting it. Pretty much any part I needed, a Tecumseh worked fine. This one predates Tecumseh buying Lauson, so it has some age on it but it did run.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-01-2014, 03:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 24
Looks great motorhead. Agree with you on the paint issue, I usually end up scrubbing it off all my carbs when I do a rebuild. Love the orig Ariens tag, they are tough to come by as the fall off over the years. Mine had a hole pinched in it and was wired to the handlebars when I found it. Just a thought, I put a ball valve on the end of that oil drain on mine, makes changing the oil a breeze. No drips till you open the valve.

Ray
1962 Ariens 10ML60
1979 Toro 524
1975 MTD Snowflite 4/22

Last edited by Ray 1962 10ML60; 02-01-2014 at 03:09 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-01-2014, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The Lauson records are all but gone. Enthusiasts have managed to cobble together bits and pieces. Lauson claimed to be the oldest engine manufacturer in the country. When it was bought out by Tecumseh, its L head engines were adapted and used for Tecumseh's duration. However, the H45 was short lived as was the H55. They had engine-driven oil pumps in the sump...quickly replaced by "dippers" that splash lubricated. Not exactly an improvement there. The decals for the earliest Tecumseh owned engines said "Lauson-Tecumseh." The engine instruction label appears to be a carryover from Lauson, too. I was surprised when I did my valve jobs, the valves had pins that transversed the valve stems instead of the flat, washer-style keepers of today. I replaced the valves with modern (Tecumseh) valves with modern keepers. MH
post #7 of 13 Old 02-01-2014, 06:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
MH, were you able to get reproduced decals of the "Lauson-Tecumseh" label?

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #8 of 13 Old 02-01-2014, 07:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 202
The thicker base of the Lauson engines would explain why my 10ML has longer studs than my other Ariens.

post #9 of 13 Old 02-01-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Lauson-Tecumseh decals are available on the Bay...even with your choice of horsepower as per originals. They are self adhesive type. I've had good luck with them on my outboard restorations. I search on the Bay "Lauson engine parts." MH
post #10 of 13 Old 02-12-2014, 01:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead64 View Post
However, the H45 was short lived as was the H55. They had engine-driven oil pumps in the sump...quickly replaced by "dippers" that splash lubricated.
MH, Is the oil pump driven by a gear internally? Any maintenance or servicing required? How would I know if mine fails, besides overheating? What are the pros/cons compared to the dipper design?

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page