LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-17-2018, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
Lite front end

I just got finished putting my Platinum 24 together .Put gas in it to give it a test run on flat ground.The first thing I noticed was the front end being lite.I mean pulling back on the traction lever it feels like the front end wants to come up.This will not work.I have an inclined driveway and going up could be a problem.I went ahead and ordered 2 weight bars for a total of 20#.I hope that will solve the problem.Anyone else have this front end problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I have a 1024 Pro, it has a 20 pound (I think) weight bar. Even with that, I tried adding another 5 pounds (used a C-clamp to attach a free-weight to it), and I liked the improvement.

Likewise, I have an inclined driveway, and when going up, I'd have to pull up on the handles some, to keep the nose down. That's annoying, but also counter-productive, as it reduces my traction.

That's less of an issue with the extra 5 pounds. I imagine it would be pretty light on the front end without the 20 pound bar, but that was on there when I bought it (to counter-balance the cab/enclosure). I sold the cap, and kept the weight bar The extra weight has been good for me. I'm actually thinking about trying to add some more at/near the wheels, for more traction.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #3 of 6 Old 08-18-2018, 12:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 34
I bolted a huge piece of c channel i got from a buddy that works at a scrapyard to bolt to the top of my ariens bucket after I did a predator 420cc repower. works great and can be easily hidden by bolting in on the inside of the housing and sanding and spray painting it. dont be afraid to ask most scrapyards will cut up steel for you if you ask them nicely they usually will sell it cheap too. I'd you've ever looked into buying new steel it has a crazy high markup
post #4 of 6 Old 08-18-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I have a 1024 Pro, it has a 20 pound (I think) weight bar. Even with that, I tried adding another 5 pounds (used a C-clamp to attach a free-weight to it), and I liked the improvement.

Likewise, I have an inclined driveway, and when going up, I'd have to pull up on the handles some, to keep the nose down. That's annoying, but also counter-productive, as it reduces my traction.

That's less of an issue with the extra 5 pounds. I imagine it would be pretty light on the front end without the 20 pound bar, but that was on there when I bought it (to counter-balance the cab/enclosure). I sold the cap, and kept the weight bar The extra weight has been good for me. I'm actually thinking about trying to add some more at/near the wheels, for more traction.
I think when they had a problem with Auto Steer they moved the wheels forward to help correct the issue.I Guess we have no other option.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-18-2018, 01:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Mine was built way before Auto-Turn existed But yeah, I know they moved the axle, which helped calm down Auto-Turn, I guess.

Plastic skids should help it glide better, which will be more important with the added weight on the bucket (which counteracts the change they made by moving the axle forward, taking weight off the bucket). I've had the Ariens plastic skids on mine for a few seasons, they've been working well.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 6 Old 08-18-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Mine was built way before Auto-Turn existed But yeah, I know they moved the axle, which helped calm down Auto-Turn, I guess.

Plastic skids should help it glide better, which will be more important with the added weight on the bucket (which counteracts the change they made by moving the axle forward, taking weight off the bucket). I've had the Ariens plastic skids on mine for a few seasons, they've been working well.
Good to here I just put the plastic skids on hoping that would work with the weights too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page