LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-05-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Who is thinking about maintenance?

I have! I actually started mine this week and started on the first pull.

Thinking about lube, I would like to understand why Ariens recommends a grease that is rated for 10F-500F for the auger shaft, when these machines are used in the cold and likely temperatures are going to be below 10F?

Which oil is recommended? I saw an image of where to grease and where to oil...but couldn't find an oil that is recommended.

I'm so looking forward to the cold. Sick of this summer!

Ariens 24" SHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-06-2018, 12:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976 View Post

Me too. Am fed up with the wasps and moose flies, and can't wait for the snakes and bears to go to sleep.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-06-2018, 01:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 689
Thanks (Received): 183
Likes (Given): 1101
Likes (Received): 1113
Garage
did my maintenance a couple months ago. but just did the generators last week.

around here we have had snow and rain storms that can take out the power in September.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #4 of 10 Old 09-16-2018, 09:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I’ve been contemplating starting the maintenance on mine for the past couple of weeks. Only thing that’s been keeping me from doing it, was the rain we’ve been getting during that time frame. Especially since would have to pull the blower on out from the shed and get it propped up the patio to service it . That and oh yeah almost forgot that there’s some scratches on the inside of the housing I’ve b
een wanting to touch up while the weather is warm enough to let the paint dry with out it running down the surface. Might actually see about getting the touching up done today while I get things ready to close our pool today. Say bye to one season and a big HELLO to another.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-16-2018, 03:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 158
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976 View Post
I have! I actually started mine this week and started on the first pull.

Thinking about lube, I would like to understand why Ariens recommends a grease that is rated for 10F-500F for the auger shaft, when these machines are used in the cold and likely temperatures are going to be below 10F?

Which oil is recommended? I saw an image of where to grease and where to oil...but couldn't find an oil that is recommended.

================================================== =====================

Any high pressure red lithium grease will work fine for you use just a few squirts and no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as crankcase oil goes some folks use synthetics and other use multi viscosity dinosaur juice.
5W-30, 10W-30 is ok BUT any good ten weight oil Mobil, Pennzoil, Wolfshead etc., will be fine as you want to be able to start it and not deal with a shoulder issue(been there done that).

I use my kerosene fired space heater/torpedo heater/salamander to warm everything up when the snow flies and also to melt the snow off and dry the JD snowblower junk as well as to warm up the snow pups and dry them off to get rid of the remnants of the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER.

If you are using the rope starter always always always always remember to pull the Piston up to the top dead center and just a little more so that you are cranking it with the exhaust stroke to reduce the amount of pulling force needed. It really saves on the arm and tendons.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-21-2018, 11:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 5
I used Mobil esp 5w-30 on mine.
Doing the maintenance in the spring or now before it get too cold.
Cleaning out the gearbox and use fresh grease.
Check the spark plug
Lube the wires so they don´t freeze.
Check the belts
If i remember right I used Mobil 220 grease.

Ariens 1027LE
Ariens Deluxe 28
post #7 of 10 Old 10-08-2018, 09:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 6
Do most of you change out the oil before you put the blower to bed for the summer? Or right before the start of winter? I always did it at the end of the season as oil builds up acid during combustion and I like to not have that sit in it all summer.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-08-2018, 09:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 74
For any seasonal equipment, I change the oil at the end of the season (and during if it's run enough to need it) and then only run it enough to fog the engine, etc. after that.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-08-2018, 09:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 65
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 238
Likes (Received): 139
Garage
I have fired the snowmachine up and will go to the dealer this week to ask them for a new chute. Being near the water, the snow can be wet and last winter I did have some problems with clogging.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-10-2018, 12:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 220
Garage
Started about 3 weeks ago. Worked almost every day a little at a time knocking stuff out.

910965, carb was rebuilt and oil changed in mid April. Started it last week when I added a new old stock genuine Tecumseh electric starter to it ($20!), popped right off and ran great. Gotta do the lube and greasing and changing auger gear case lube yet. I've never used this machine before, "stole/bought" it around 4/1 non-running (originally intended as a parts machine) but otherwise excellent shape for age, anxious to see how this unit throws the snow! If it's up to the task, the 922008 below will be sold (yay more room in my shed!).

910962, carb rebuilt last February, new belt last March, oil changed yesterday. Finished off all grinding of engine/handle bar rust, repainted (as cheaply as possible) and reassembled, new repro stickers, new muffler, fuel line and shut off valve. All cosmetic stuff finished up last week, no longer looks like a complete rust bucket, only a partial rust bucket Lube/grease/gear case maintenance coming here also. Also need to try again to figure out its shifting between reverse/forward gear "catching" issue (it shifts by varying hand clutch lever tension by "feel", just likes to hang up going from R to any fwd speed or back again). Engine runs like a champ though!

922008, new belt/carb rebuild last March. The right side handle bar whizlock screw threads were worn down from rusting, replaced both sides (today!) and bars are tight again. Oil change needed, lube/grease/gear case coming for it also. Popped off on 1st pull today. Then it's figuring out why the auger attachment lever likes to disengage under load (suspect the attachment clutch lever spring is worn).

Should have everything wrapped up by Nov. 1.

Edited 10/11 to add, adventures in fluid and greasing.

The '965 and '008 were my Dad's blowers, I inherited them in 2015. My dad was never, ever known to maintain anything with a gas engine on it, and these have been a pain in the butt ever since I got them. I admit I'm new to being proactive with snow blowers myself, but this year I promised myself was The Year of The Ariens.

These two, the auger gear cases were effectively empty of oil (as I feared). Maybe 1 oz of gruel drained out of each. I also pulled out a grease zerk on the '965, so that'll need replacing, but at least both of them the blades weren't froze. The '008, the shear pins weren't shear pins at all, just nuts and bolts, but I had pins on hand and they're replaced now.

The '965, the gear case had "some kind of heavy oil" that looked like fresh, average ordinary heavy motor oil, but again it wasn't nearly enough (5 oz required according to the manual).

Three gear cases, I had maybe tops about 4 oz drained when it should have been 15. All fluids are done now...just don't leak on me please

Last edited by tlshawks; 10-11-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page