Newbie Choosing Your First Snowblower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 09-14-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Terrebonne, Quebec
Posts: 10
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Newbie Choosing Your First Snowblower

Hi everyone, I'm new here on the forum and I'm looking forward to getting my first snow blower. Here are some relevant facts:

I use a temporary shelter during the winter and it is next to the path between the street and the house door, that means that when it snows I have to make my way to the street and then remove the tenth snow from the shelter that falls on the path that already was clean. This path is 10 meters long and about 80 cm wide (varying according to my disposition to take the snow manually) and is not asphalted (it has small stones and sometimes grass).

I also need to make way for the dog to do his / her needs and leave the basement windows accessible for fire. All this way is in the grass.

I did several readings here in the forum and I chose Ariens as being the best option for my budget (until 1900 CAD).

The last important fact is that I live in a rented house today, obviously this will not last forever, so I can not limit myself to a machine for the specific needs of today, I would like to know that the future machine will be good for other situations (I know it is impossible to predict everything).

I am in doubt between the deluxe models 24 / deluxe 28/24 with caterpillars (track). This last one seems interesting but it seems to have a weaker motor, I do not know if this is a problem.

I live in Terrebonne, Quebéc

Thank you for dedicating your time.
Wladson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 09-15-2018, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
 
Kiss4aFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 9,131
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
to SBF Wladson

Because you're mentioning having to clear off grass for the dog and fire egress from the windows I think I'd go with the tracked version. Otherwise the 28 with cross link chains would be a great choice.

.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHAINXTRAC_1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	146703  

.
Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiss4aFrog is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 09-15-2018, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
orangputeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: lake tahoe
Posts: 3,487
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 636
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 940
Likes (Received): 1019
Garage
looks like a shovel would do the job pretty fast.

otherwise a used hs724 tracked Honda. maybe small enough for this job and big enough for down the road needs.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
orangputeh is online now  
post #4 of 23 Old 09-15-2018, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lowell area, MA
Posts: 3,246
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Welcome to the forum!

How much snow do you get per-storm, and per-season, approximately? What kind of snow is it? Someone getting 6" (15cm) of light fluffy snow per-storm, 2 times per season, has different needs that someone getting 18" (45cm) of heavy snow per-storm, 10 times per-season.

Are you also clearing a driveway, or just this path? If you are only clearing the 10 meter/30 foot path, you may not need a huge machine. If you are also clearing a long & wide driveway, that changes things.

Tracked machines can be easier on grass, or loose stones. You can often set the bucket (the snow intake) in a raised position, so that it does not scrape the ground, and instead rides a few inches/cm above the ground. That way the bucket does not tear up the grass, and is less likely to pull in the small stones.

With that said, I use my wheeled Ariens to maintain a path through my yard, maybe around 40 feet. I just push down on the handles, to make sure that the bucket stays up, and does not tear up the grass. It hasn't been a problem.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 09-15-2018 at 06:09 PM.
RedOctobyr is online now  
post #5 of 23 Old 09-15-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Terrebonne, Quebec
Posts: 10
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
to SBF Wladson

Because you're mentioning having to clear off grass for the dog and fire egress from the windows I think I'd go with the tracked version. Otherwise the 28 with cross link chains would be a great choice.

.
Thank you, I'm thinking of this line...
Wladson is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 09-15-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Terrebonne, Quebec
Posts: 10
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
looks like a shovel would do the job pretty fast.

otherwise a used hs724 tracked Honda. maybe small enough for this job and big enough for down the road needs.
Unfortunately there are no honda used for sale in the region and nearby (I also looked for yamaha), true that I preferred a Japanese. The only available is 90's

I'll put some photos to illustrate the real situation. I appreciated your opinion
Wladson is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 09-15-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Terrebonne, Quebec
Posts: 10
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Welcome to the forum!

How much snow do you get per-storm, and per-season, approximately? What kind of snow is it? Someone getting 6" (15cm) of light fluffy snow per-storm, 2 times per season, has different needs that someone getting 18" (45cm) of heavy snow per-storm, 10 times per-season.

Are you also clearing a driveway, or just this path? If you are only clearing the 10 meter/30 foot path, you may not need a huge machine. If you are also clearing a long & wide driveway, that changes things.

Tracked machines can be easier on grass, or loose stones. You can often set the bucket (the snow intake) in a raised position, so that it does not scrape the ground, and instead rides a few inches/cm above the ground. That way the bucket does not tear up the grass, and is less likely to pull in the small stones.

With that said, I use my wheeled Ariens to maintain a path through my yard, maybe around 40 feet. I just push down on the handles, to make sure that the bucket stays up, and does not tear up the grass. It hasn't been a problem.
Good question! With concrete data the thing gets easier. Based on the historical average of the last 30 years:

Month / Amount
November / 21 cm
December / 56 cm
January / 58
February / 34
frame / 26
April / 7

It would give a total of 195 cm, last year that number reached 220. The average number of days with precipitation is 160 for the period of months above. In general in the month of March there are always two great storms that border the 25 cm

The biggest storms pour between 15 and 40 cm

The quality of the snow varies a lot, but we always have verglass and that snow wet. Last winter the snow was soft, but ice sheets formed on a verglass and as I had not yet removed the snow ....

The driveway I'm not cleaning, because I have a contract, but I plan to do it next year. Anyway the entrance is not that big (6 width x 8 meters length)

It would be a great point if you did not scrape the grass, but as you said, it is possible to get a result with some practice with wheels. I'll post some photos to illustrate better

Thank you for your consideration.
Wladson is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 09-15-2018, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Terrebonne, Quebec
Posts: 10
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0















look at this last photo, there was a blizzard and then a freeze rain when I still had not taken all the snow, so it was compacted and solid, I could not remove it with a single shovel
Wladson is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 09-16-2018, 12:19 AM
Senior Member
 
leonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York State
Posts: 1,133
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
This is not what you want to hear,
but you might as well invest in the Yamaha 824 if you cannot afford the 1028 as you will be much much better off with your snows. You could always trade the 824 in on a 1028 or sell it outright if you want to upgrade.

The other thing is wheeled units will tend to ride up on packed snow and the dreaded END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER.

Last edited by leonz; 09-16-2018 at 12:22 AM. Reason: stuff/spelling and punctuation corrections
leonz is online now  
post #10 of 23 Old 09-16-2018, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Terrebonne, Quebec
Posts: 10
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
This is not what you want to hear,
but you might as well invest in the Yamaha 824 if you cannot afford the 1028 as you will be much much better off with your snows. You could always trade the 824 in on a 1028 or sell it outright if you want to upgrade.

The other thing is wheeled units will tend to ride up on packed snow and the dreaded END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER.
the yamaha 624 is a dream, the dealer is offering financing without interest in 4 years, totaling close to 4,000 cad
Wladson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome