post #1 of 9 Old 09-22-2018, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 24 Deluxe vs. SHO

Hi all,

I am going to be buying a new snowblower this fall. Currently I have the Compact 24 from Ariens and for most snowfalls (here in Portland, Maine) it works well. However, the crap at the end of the driveway does make it huff and puff. The driveway is wide enough to fit the four cars for me and my tenants. Because it is wide, it collects a lot of snow from the city plow. I wanted something with more power to cut through that stuff a bit easier. The deluxe is $1000 and the SHO Is 5oo clams more. Will the extra power from the Deluxe be enough to make the end of the driveway clean-up easier? Or should I spend the extra money for the power of the SHO? im Guessing that there might be a point of diminishing returns on the power, so I figured I would tap the collective wisdom of the learned folks in this group.

On a related subject, what should I ask for my 4 year old Compact 24? I have it serviced every year and it is in like new condition.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-22-2018, 10:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
ALOHA From The Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 9 Old 09-22-2018, 11:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIm West View Post
Hi all,

I am going to be buying a new snowblower this fall. Currently I have the Compact 24 from Ariens and for most snowfalls (here in Portland, Maine) it works well. However, the crap at the end of the driveway does make it huff and puff. The driveway is wide enough to fit the four cars for me and my tenants. Because it is wide, it collects a lot of snow from the city plow. I wanted something with more power to cut through that stuff a bit easier. The deluxe is $1000 and the SHO Is 5oo clams more. Will the extra power from the Deluxe be enough to make the end of the driveway clean-up easier? Or should I spend the extra money for the power of the SHO? im Guessing that there might be a point of diminishing returns on the power, so I figured I would tap the collective wisdom of the learned folks in this group.

On a related subject, what should I ask for my 4 year old Compact 24? I have it serviced every year and it is in like new condition.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
I believe the SHO model comes only in a 28" width. I just purchased a Deluxe 28 " SHO that will be delivered on Tuesday. Obviously, I haven't used it yet but it comes with the 306 cc engine and should provide more torque (15 ft./lbs.) for moving wet snow. The 24 " model has the 254 cc engine with 12 ft./ lbs. of torque. I paid $1249.00 for mine from a dealer. I don't know much about trade in values.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-22-2018, 11:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
[QUOTE=JIm West;1598639]Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. [/QUOTE

The deluxe is just the same as you compact for plow piles buy a uses 24 sho or new id buy used myself or better yet a 28 sho for 1200 new

cardo had a 24 deluxe didnt like the power or the lack of he got a 24 sho
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Cardo111 liked this post
post #5 of 9 Old 09-22-2018, 12:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Received): 15
Quote:
it works well. However, the crap at the end of the driveway does make it huff and puff.
I'm in a similar situation. I posted a question the other day about the "high output impeller", this bit of advertising from Ariens was a little confusing to me. Apparently the impeller is the same as many other models including the deluxe, but the pulley ratio is altered to increase the speed on the SHO model because of the beefier engine.

So... the question is whether the increase in speed and muscle is worth the $500. Does it really chew through the junk snow at the end of the driveway?

It would be great to hear from 24 SHO owners about EOD feedback especially if anyone upgraded from a lesser 24" model.

thanks in advance.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-22-2018, 01:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellis View Post
I'm in a similar situation. I posted a question the other day about the "high output impeller", this bit of advertising from Ariens was a little confusing to me. Apparently the impeller is the same as many other models including the deluxe, but the pulley ratio is altered to increase the speed on the SHO model because of the beefier engine.

So... the question is whether the increase in speed and muscle is worth the $500. Does it really chew through the junk snow at the end of the driveway?

It would be great to hear from 24 SHO owners about EOD feedback especially if anyone upgraded from a lesser 24" model.

thanks in advance.

Use the search feature cardo has made post about it
Lets put it this why the engine that comes on the 24 sho is bigger then what ariens put on all there 32 and 36 pros from years past
then add the sho higher impeller

Last edited by 1132le; 09-22-2018 at 01:20 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-22-2018, 06:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Received): 15
thanks 1132le

I searched for Cardo111 and found a couple posts.

Quote:
then add the sho higher impeller
Since the impeller is the same design as the other lesser models, I guess that the increased speed of the impeller and the added muscle combo is worth it.

I wonder if they also spin the augers at a higher rate?

Last edited by trellis; 09-22-2018 at 07:03 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-29-2018, 02:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 8
I loved my Platinum EFI SHO, it threw the snow as far as my 28" hydro pro. But to get hydro I had to step up and have no regrets. The 24" bucket was certainly easier to navigate between cars and to not clip the lawn during sidewalk clearing.

2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - FOR SALE
2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, 54" blade, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart
2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - sold
post #9 of 9 Old 09-29-2018, 11:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I'm pretty sure the auger gearbox would remain the same. So the augers would also spin proportionally faster, if they speed up the impeller.
The Compact engine is listed as 223cc, Deluxe at 254cc, and SHO at 369cc.

I don't think the Deluxe would be that much of an upgrade, given the cost and hassle of changing machines. I'd absolutely go for the Deluxe vs Compact when buying initially, for the extra $100. But you'd spend more than $100 now change from Compact to Deluxe.

The 24" SHO, at 369cc, is a beast. But I suspect it's somewhat overkill for the the width of the bucket. My 1024 Pro is 24", and a 318cc OHV Tecumseh (marketed as 10hp), and it rarely lacks for power here in MA. Granted, the SHO is spinning the impeller & augers faster than mine, which requires more power.

One benefit of the faster impeller & augers is it can process and fling more snow per second (in addition to throwing it further). Allowing a faster ground speed, before snow starts to overflow from the side of the bucket, into the area you just cleared. I will sometimes have enough power available (engine not bogging down), but I have to slow down a little, to prevent unprocessed snow from overflowing into the cleared area.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page