LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-22-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 3
Question Ariens with EFI?

Hello everybody. I've been a member for a couple of years but this is my first post. I have been moving snow from my driveway for the past 15 years with a John Deere 826D, it's been trouble free but it's time to upgrade. I would like to clear the snow with a normal pace instead of slow stepping. The driveway is about 150'x20' with parking at the end for 4 vehicles and about 600 sq.ft of gravel from the end of driveway to the road. I also have to deal with 3' deep EOD. I am considering the Ariens 28" Hydro Pro and that brings me to my question about the very small fuel tank. I checked the owners manual and it states .5 gallons. I know the previous year before EFI the tank on the 420cc was about 1.5 gallons. I do understand that EFI is more efficient but my concern is having to fuel up every 45 minutes. I tried Ariens tech support and the answer was run time was variable based on conditions. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, SW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	146841   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	146843   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	146845  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 74
If you're worried about runtime, consider the non-hydro Pro 28 or 32. Those still have the 420cc Briggs (instead of the 420cc EFI LCT) wtih the 1.5 gallon tank.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-23-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If you're worried about runtime, consider the non-hydro Pro 28 or 32. Those still have the 420cc Briggs (instead of the 420cc EFI LCT) wtih the 1.5 gallon tank.
The 28" is on my short list. My current snowblower is 26" and that has been OK, I just need more power and taller housing.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Cardo111 liked this post
post #4 of 14 Old 09-23-2018, 11:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 122
Garage
I changed my fuel tank from the spec 3 liter (0.79 US gallons) stock to the 6 liter B&S tank. I found the 3 liter tank would only hold 2.5 liters and may last 45 mins or probably less in heavy snow but longer in light snow. If the LCT engine with EFI is now spec'd at 0.5 US gallons it is only 1.9 liters. So expect to fill up often. I can easily put 6 liters in the B&S fuel tank which makes it at least a 1.59 US gallon tank. The way the tank is made there is an air bleed (at the front) from the main opening to the surrounding tank so filling slowly you can put more than 6 liters in safely.

Good luck with your choice.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks sidewinder thanked for this post
Likes sidewinder liked this post
post #5 of 14 Old 09-23-2018, 11:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
The 28" is on my short list. My current snowblower is 26" and that has been OK, I just need more power and taller housing.
I know this is a duplicate thread and commented on the related thread as well. Love those old Deer’s nice well built machines and who doesn’t like the signature green and yellow paint scheme. That being said there are many excellent machines out there of course Hondas, Simplicity Signature Pros, Toro’s redesigned HD machines are certainly worth a look, now with steel chutes, more engine choices, LED lights and a manual chute control second to none. Personally I would go with the Ariens Disc drive Pro 28 and be done. You will be happy with this machine good bang for your buck considering what you’re getting. Always try to get behind and play with the controls of any machine before buying just to make sure it feels right. All the best and good luck!

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks sidewinder thanked for this post
Likes sidewinder liked this post
post #6 of 14 Old 09-24-2018, 09:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 35
Garage
That's an awfully small tank. I wonder if EFI is that more efficient on small engines.

1999 Craftsman 11.0/31 (C950-52930-0)
post #7 of 14 Old 09-24-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for that info. I agree 45 minutes is not enough time. I've spoke with 4 different dealers local and across the county and pretty much got 4 different answers. Nobody wants to talk minutes or even make a guess.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-24-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, that older Deere is very well built and I kind of remember checking the serial number a few years ago and it was built by Ariens. I have looked at Honda snowblowers, especially like the engine. I've had a tiller and pressure washer with the GX version and they're very reliable with regular maintenance. I am leaning towards the Ariens, I just like the way they're built and the long term availability of parts if needed.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-25-2018, 09:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I owned a old 824 for 15 years, last winter I purchased a new Platinum SHO EFI 24 - I notice no difference in the run time on the gas tank.

I get at 90 - 120 Minutes from a tank.

Love it!
post #10 of 14 Old 09-25-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhopper10! View Post
I owned a old 824 for 15 years, last winter I purchased a new Platinum SHO EFI 24 - I notice no difference in the run time on the gas tank.

I get at 90 - 120 Minutes from a tank.

Love it!
That is good to hear. Depending on the temperature and windchill, 90 minutes or more is about time for a break anyway. I've heard second hand stories about people having to refill after 30 minutes and that is why I started this post. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page