LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-25-2018, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Platinum SHO RapidTrak 28

I am replacing my 23 year old snow blower this year and looked at the Husqvarna ST324P and Honda models but am leaning heavily on an Ariens. The 3 models I am considering are the Platinum 24 SHO, Platinum 24 SHO EFI and the new for this year Platinum SHO Rapid Trak 28. I would be interested in comments/experience with the Ariens Rapid Trak system. All 3 machines are more than adequate for my needs but at 75 I was looking for my last snow blower and something easier to steer. I thought I wanted trigger steer but from what I am reading the Ariens Auto-Turn should work just as well. Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated before I take the plunge. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-25-2018, 12:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 158
snow blower help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingwood43 View Post
I am replacing my 23 year old snow blower this year and looked at the Husqvarna ST324P and Honda models but am leaning heavily on an Ariens. The 3 models I am considering are the Platinum 24 SHO, Platinum 24 SHO EFI and the new for this year Platinum SHO Rapid Trak 28. I would be interested in comments/experience with the Ariens Rapid Trak system. All 3 machines are more than adequate for my needs but at 75 I was looking for my last snow blower and something easier to steer. I thought I wanted trigger steer but from what I am reading the Ariens Auto-Turn should work just as well. Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated before I take the plunge. Thanks
================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ================================================== =============

Hello and welcome to the forum kingwood,

Are you in Canada or the United States?

When you are browsing keep in mind the units with steering brakes have much better control and are easy to adjust when it is required.

Have you looked at the self propelled toro snow blowers?

A tracked machine with the standard rubber caterpillar tracks with steering brakes is heavier and it will provide more traction for you. Most of these have electric start and also a manual recoil starter.

A snow mule that has an enclosed cross auger housing will ride up on snow that has gone through a freeze thaw cycle. The wheeled snow mules that have an open base with the cross auger exposed will chew into the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER more easily.

The track drive units can make use of the manual lift or hydraulic lift assist from a shock absorber mounted on the rear of the snow mule. The tractive effort created by the heavier weight of these snow mules aids in disposing of the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER.

The bad thing about the current bunch of snow mules offered on this side of the Canadian border is that they have no slick sheet material to aid in preventing snow and ice from clogging the chutes. All the Yamahas have slick sheet material and the largest being the 1332 has cast teflon slick parts to aid in preventing clogged chutes and slick sheet in the impeller housing

The high horsepower units of course have more torque to aid in spinning the impeller faster to clear the snow.

The Toro power clear models have steering brakes and the patented clog free impeller housing that pushes out excess snow to avoid having to deal with unclogging the chute.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-25-2018, 01:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 74
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 249
Likes (Received): 297
Welcome

This is a newer model so I suggest contacting this man Paul Sikkema at his website called Moving Snow. He is good at responding to questions there

Rapid Trak here:

https://movingsnow.com/2018/ariens-r...blower-market/

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
post #4 of 7 Old 09-25-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I'm in the United States, Maryland.
Have not looked at the Toro snowblowers other than on the internet, closest Dealer is some distance so only looked at Ariens, Honda and Husqvarna so far.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-25-2018, 08:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The toros are very good machines, they got in to the snow removal business years ago when they started making the first snow pups one of which we owned.
I would have all four of them but the first two died in snow storms of side frame failure in the middle of snow storms.

I end up using the Toros when the JDLA115's snwo blower breaks down 3 minutes after I start using it.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-25-2018, 09:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
Quote:

24 Sho carb would seem smart at 75
post #7 of 7 Old 09-26-2018, 12:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I'm in the United States, Maryland.
Have not looked at the Toro snowblowers other than on the internet, closest Dealer is some distance so only looked at Ariens, Honda and Husqvarna so far.
================================================== =====

I would like you to wander over to a Toro dealer and have a chat with them before you open your wallet.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kingwood43 thanked for this post
Likes Zavie liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page