Comforting Words for 2014-16 Auto-turn Owners - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-25-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Regina,Saskatchewan,Canada
Posts: 263
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 110
Garage
Comforting Words for 2014-16 Auto-turn Owners

I took some advice from another Forum user ( sorry...cannot remember who) , and this person advised against pushing, or even allowing the unit to move on it's own. "Guide it" he said....and he is exactly right. I have been a bit disturbed of late with all the talk of the wandering Autoturn. I have also experienced it myself, and replaced the steel shoes with Poly ones. I have not gone through a winter yet with the Poly ones, although they do seem to make it better. So today Sept 25th/18 ( My neighbors must think I have lost my senses) , I took my 2014 Ariens, which I have always held the brand name in high regard, onto the driveway, and figuratively blew out the driveway. No snow.Leaves. Just me playing. Up and Down...again and again.



The secret is to pullback on the handlebars with a low to moderate amount of pressure. Don't push it, and don't let it maneuver itself....just pull back slightly, and the unit goes as straight as an arrow.The fact is in going uphill.....it doesn't move side to side at all....and it does going downhill. I find that I have to pull back more on the left handle than the right, but it's easy to do. I used it for 30 minutes, and it felt really good.



If this helps anyone worrying about this issue, then it was well worth it.

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
Cutter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 09-25-2018, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
1132le's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: ma
Posts: 1,160
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
I took some advice from another Forum user ( sorry...cannot remember who) , and this person advised against pushing, or even allowing the unit to move on it's own. "Guide it" he said....and he is exactly right. I have been a bit disturbed of late with all the talk of the wandering Autoturn. I have also experienced it myself, and replaced the steel shoes with Poly ones. I have not gone through a winter yet with the Poly ones, although they do seem to make it better. So today Sept 25th/18 ( My neighbors must think I have lost my senses) , I took my 2014 Ariens, which I have always held the brand name in high regard, onto the driveway, and figuratively blew out the driveway. No snow.Leaves. Just me playing. Up and Down...again and again.



The secret is to pullback on the handlebars with a low to moderate amount of pressure. Don't push it, and don't let it maneuver itself....just pull back slightly, and the unit goes as straight as an arrow.The fact is in going uphill.....it doesn't move side to side at all....and it does going downhill. I find that I have to pull back more on the left handle than the right, but it's easy to do. I used it for 30 minutes, and it felt really good.



If this helps anyone worrying about this issue, then it was well worth it.

I told you it was butter
with snow you wont even have to pull back
the 2014 2016 have more down force on the bucket then the relocated axle models
iam glad to have the higher downforce axle location
My driveway is junk lots of dips very uneven its still laser straight
can also go right down the side of the car or the house laser straight
adjust bucket and scraper properly with the poly shoes butter
1132le is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Cutter thanked for this post
Likes Cutter liked this post
post #3 of 10 Old 09-26-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Regina,Saskatchewan,Canada
Posts: 263
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 110
Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1132le View Post
I told you it was butter
with snow you wont even have to pull back
the 2014 2016 have more down force on the bucket then the relocated axle models
iam glad to have the higher downforce axle location
My driveway is junk lots of dips very uneven its still laser straight
can also go right down the side of the car or the house laser straight
adjust bucket and scraper properly with the poly shoes butter
Thanks 1132LE....I appreciate your reply.

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
Cutter is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 09-26-2018, 02:40 PM
cuz
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 51
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
So, are the new 2018 models better or worse than the 2014-2016 models???
cuz is online now  
post #5 of 10 Old 09-26-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Regina,Saskatchewan,Canada
Posts: 263
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 110
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz View Post
So, are the new 2018 models better or worse than the 2014-2016 models???

From what I understand about these blowers, they re positioned the rear axle in 2017, which made this whole situation much better. So I guess the answer to your question is yes, they probably are better. But, I have talked to a few people who own the older ones, and they prefer the ones without the adjustment, as they are front heavy, and really dig into the snow. I ,myself have a 2014, and have now put on Poly shoes, and it seems to be Ok.
Have to wait until a heavy snowfall here is Sask to really see.

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
Cutter is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 09-26-2018, 11:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 53
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
I am a new Ariens owner This will be my First winter with it. I think you are 100% rite about guiding it .But I have been looking at a lot of Youtube Videos where people are fighting there snowblower by going to fast. When I got my Ariens and adjusted everything by the manual. 1st gear was way too fast for me I adjusted the speed at my walking pace.It seems that the Auto turn Problem disappeared.and controlling it with a little backward grip was a lot easier once I slowed the travel speed down. But that made the reverse faster. Witch I don't use that much. So I cut another notch on the speed controller Now I have 3 Reverses
tonylumps is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 10-01-2018, 12:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Ariens hydro pro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 321
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 52
Garage
I put custom wheels up front instead of the shoes. On a smooth driveway it's excellent to walk behind. One machine is a 30" the other a 36" bucket.


Bob
Ariens hydro pro is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 10-03-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Regina,Saskatchewan,Canada
Posts: 263
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 110
Garage
Those wheels seem impressive....if my Poly Shoes don't correct the pulling, then the Custom Shoes may be the next step.We'll see what happens. Here in Sask, we've already had 2 days of snow, melting as it hits the ground, but more threatening to come.

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
Cutter is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 10-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Member
 
celltech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NW Minnesota
Posts: 42
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
So today Sept 25th/18 ( My neighbors must think I have lost my senses) , I took my 2014 Ariens, which I have always held the brand name in high regard, onto the driveway, and figuratively blew out the driveway. No snow.Leaves. Just me playing. Up and Down...again and again.

I bet your neighbors got a good laugh watching that scene.

2010 John Deere X720 w/ 47" snowblower
1989 Toro 824- Sold
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921035- Sold
celltech is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Cutter liked this post
post #10 of 10 Old 10-16-2018, 02:21 AM
Junior Member
 
Milkbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 25
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 8
Thanks for this post.
I've been fearing the Autoturn. This helps put my my fears to rest.

My momma didn't raise no fool.
I left home early !
Milkbone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome