Snowblower Forum banner

Picked up a vintage 8hp 24" blower this afternoon.

11K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Bluejoe 
#1 ·
I was surprised that the small engine shop/dealer had it on their floor for over 2 weeks and nobody wanted it.
Even priced at $150... still no takers. I guess most people see a 45yo blower and see no value.
It appears this it was reasonably well maintained and it should serve me well this winter.
I'll post the model #'s after I unload it from the truck.

See less See more
#2 ·
That is a clean looking machine. Zero issues whatsoever, $150 is a darn good price imho.

#18 ·
Aside from the handlebar banner plate (uncracked clean examples are unicorns imho), looks darn near flawless. Somebody hermetically sealed that machine at some point, treated it like their original 1960's Shelby Cobra in the garage. Starts it up once a month, drives it out to the end of the driveway and back, tucks it away until next month.

Near pristine examples of old school Ariens simply do not ever come up for sale locally. Even average shaped examples are rare. People keep old school Ariens around here. Does it run? Does it blow snow? Then keep it, take care of it, and use it.

I would have snapped that up fast if it were local for $150 just on general principle. And I sure's heck don't need another snowblower.

#9 ·
OMG. Looks identical to my fathers early 70's model !!!! Electric start .???

There are days i miss it, but its better days had passed.

#13 ·
I wondered about the bucket style Scot, I thought maybe it was a frankenblower of some kind what I first saw photos of it.
I'm not going to do anything to it other than fluid changes and making sure pivot/wear points are properly greased/lubricated.
It looks to be in good original condition and keeping it garaged (heated also) should help maintain its condition.

I'm not sure if most of the '73-74 models had locking diffs, but this one sure does.

#14 ·
Again, I'm jealous! Been looking for one of these for a year and nada . . . Had one for years, and it handled well, performed well, and just the right amount of 'big brother' interference with function. Still looking . . . . and congratulations! Basic maintenance, and it should last forever!

#17 ·
That is in Very Nice Shape, and a Stout Machine with the 8hp engine. I have One as well..You can Mount the Electric Starter Switch on the inside of the Air Box in the same spot using the same holes... Good Score!

#22 ·
Thought I might get to use the old Ariens this morning, but the wind blew quite hard after the dry snow fell and blew it all off the driveway.
I did however, get to blow week old snow off part of the driveway I don't use much a couple days ago and I was very pleased how well it chewed through the crusty old snow and more impressed how far it threw it. Especially in the few spots where the sun turned it into more of a thick/wet concrete during afternoon highs in the 50's. Threw it 20 to 25 ft with no wind, and not even at full throttle.

No impeller kit on this old blower either. I think I'll keep this one around a while.

#23 ·
I just did over a 910019 last week. I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm sure it is going to be part of my permanent "stable" of blowers...put a chondra and impeller kit and taller chute on it.. I've got the same 8 hp 910018 model you have needing some love ( no spark) that I haven't looked at yet. These are my favorite 10000 series machines.

#25 ·
I bought a 1972 - 624 like that with for $20 last fall. Has the auger control on handle bars. Belonged to the guys father and he gave me the original Owners & Parts Manuals and other Ariens literature . The parts manual cost $5.25 and printed on the cover as part of the manual. The parts manual covers the 6.7 & 8 hp models, so I think the tractor is the same for all horse powers.only with different motor options.

The motor runs on mine only at around 2000 rpm, the impeller doesn't turn as it hits on the bucket housing, so maybe needs bearings, nor does the tractor drive the wheels. Over all the body is not badly rusted. Haven't done anything with it yet as finishing up on another 924040.

Congrats on yours ... looks great

#26 ·
I bought a 1972 - 624 like that for $20 last fall. Has the auger control on handle bars. Belonged to the guys father and he gave me the original Owners & Parts Manuals and other Ariens literature . The parts manual cost $5.25 and printed on the cover as part of the manual. The parts manual covers the 6.7 & 8 hp models, so I think the tractor is the same for a horse powers.only withdifferent motor options.

The motor runs on mine only at around 2000 rpm, the impeller doesn't turn as it hits on the bucket housing, so maybe needs bearings, nor does the tractor drive the wheels. Over all the body is not badly rusted. Haven't done anything with it yet as finishing up on another 924040.

Congrats on yours ... looks great

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.