LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Engine Parts for ST524

Hi, I have been reading through the forum and using the search function to try and find answers for my questions.

I have a new to me ST524 (Model: 932026 Serial: 014965).

It ran fine last year. I put it away for the season with a full tank of gas with stabil marine but I think I forgot to empty out the carb. This season it wouldn't run without the choke, it hunts, and stalls easily. Reading through the forum it sounds like a classic case of a gunked up carb.

I took the carb apart and sure enough it is gunked up but not the worst I have seen in a small engine. I ordered a new carb but would like to also get my current carb up and running if possible. I'd like to replace the bowl gasket as well as the gasket between the intake elbow and carb, and intake elbow and head. I also would like to replace the muffler and gasket.

I can't seem to find any of the parts on the normal online parts sources for any part of the engines. Can anyone point me to where I can find these gaskets and muffler?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 252
Iím guessing itís a Tecumseh made engine, They went under in 2008 so parts are all aftermarket and found mainly on eBay.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 09:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
All these parts are available everywhere. I like Jack's Small Engines, but also buy from Amazon and eBay.I

Those gaskets you mentioned, I reuse them, seldom do I replace.I

Sometimes it's best to but a cheap rebuild kit from Jack's or eBay for $3-$5, you get the gaskets.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 10:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Received): 33
I use Partstree.com

Parts for your snow blower...
https://www.partstree.com/parts/arie...-012400-above/

Parts for engine.. you'll have to look up by model.
https://www.partstree.com/parts/tecu...-cycle-engine/

If your muffler isn't rusted through, but only cosmetic... I wouldn't replace it. The bolts often snap and the holes will need to be drilled and tapped.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 10:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
If you decide to replace the muffler....take your time and don't force it....loosen a hair then tighten back a hair...use heat and PB blast and be patient.....don't want to break off those bolts!
post #6 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 12:54 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvar44 View Post
Hi, I have been reading through the forum and using the search function to try and find answers for my questions.

I have a new to me ST524 (Model: 932026 Serial: 014965).

It ran fine last year. I put it away for the season with a full tank of gas with stabil marine but I think I forgot to empty out the carb. This season it wouldn't run without the choke, it hunts, and stalls easily. Reading through the forum it sounds like a classic case of a gunked up carb.

I took the carb apart and sure enough it is gunked up but not the worst I have seen in a small engine. I ordered a new carb but would like to also get my current carb up and running if possible. I'd like to replace the bowl gasket as well as the gasket between the intake elbow and carb, and intake elbow and head. I also would like to replace the muffler and gasket.

I can't seem to find any of the parts on the normal online parts sources for any part of the engines. Can anyone point me to where I can find these gaskets and muffler?

Thanks

As others have noted, the carb is Tecumseh, and the kits should be available from just about any small engine shop - there really weren't that many different kits.

If all you have is a little gunk, cleaning is really an excercise in triviality, and unless things are very degraded, often a kit is not needed. The bowl gaskets tend to hold up, and the main jet gasket is fibre, which also holds up. The main things I have see die in time is the O rings on the needles, and you can't reuse a Welch plug if you need to pull them to clean.

Mainly, the only thing that gunks is the brass body on the main jet at the bottom. There are typically two small holes in the side (in the threads) that are the primary and idle fuel passages, and if they gunk, it does what you see. Spray it off, and maybe use a single strand of fine copper wire to clear the holes and you should be good to go.

Oh, and you can do that much without removing the carb at all - the main jet body is also the nut that holds the bowl off. If that's all it needs, then it is far easier than replacement, since you never take the carb off, screw with the linkages, etc.

I just don't know why folks have gotten so intimidated by something as trivial as carb cleaning these days . . .
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aveteam liked this post
post #7 of 7 Old 01-21-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Hi, I wanted to thank everyone for their comments and provide an update.

I ordered a new muffler gasket and carburetor from Amazon. The shipment for the carburetor was delayed so I just cleaned up the current carb and put the ill fitting muffler gasket back on the ST524. It started right up with some choke, idled without the choke, and I tried as hard as I could to stall in on some old snow on the side of my driveway. It was throwing that snow hard and showed no signs of stalling.

The carb showed up and I will keep it as a spare. I'd like to order the correct muffler gasket and put that on. I didn't have any issues taking the muffler off, I did have to clean up the threads in the head with a thread repair tap. The craftsman set has saved my bacon more times than I care to count:

THanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page