Considering buying a new Ariens...any suggestions on model? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 01-16-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Considering buying a new Ariens...any suggestions on model?

I have a north facing driveway with plenty of room on west or east side to blow. Driveway is not real long but gets heavily drifted in a bad storm being that I live in a very rural area and so get alot of wind. Up till now, I've been using my old Cub Cadet 129 tractor with blade on the front to plow..but the engine blew out this past summer. I have an old (and I do mean OLD) Bolens Artic 70 that runs and is working order after I did some repairs on it over the summer, but it just never seemed to blow snow all that well. Haven't used it in decades prior to just working on it recently. I actually have another thread on the forum about this machine. Recently bought a new John Deere 590 tractor but elected not to get any snow equipment for it. Rather than continuing to plow snow across the street (about the only place to go with it) into open field area, I thought perhaps a snowblower might be better? I was looking at the deluxe models, but would like suggestions. I don't want to stint on this..would like something that will handle heavy, wet, and drifted snow. Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-16-2019, 07:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 6
The Pro 28 is a beast. I do not think you will ever go wrong with that machine.

2018 Ariens Pro 28
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 29 Old 01-16-2019, 07:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 128
Here's a site to give you an average snowfall in your area. Next information needed is how long and how wide is your driveway, and if you're comfortable saying so, what your budget is for a new machine.

But right now you haven't given enough information to offer a valid suggestion.
post #4 of 29 Old 01-16-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Main driveway is 55' long by 17' wide. Then, there is a turnaround area in front of our 2nd overhead garage door that is 27' long by 20' wide. We're on a hill, so on the west side of the driveway the yard slopes up to the highest point of the property and then gradually tapers down to a grass bank (near the bottom of the driveway) and a 3-4' stone wall closer to the house. Hope that info helps.

Cost is not really an issue...although, being 63 years old and uncertain as to what point in the future it may become necessary to downsize and move to someplace that entails far less maintenance, it's a given that I won't be blowing snow anywhere near as long as I've been plowing it (for 37 years).

Any sort of average snowfall info is highly misleading where we live since after a substantial snowstorm our road can wind up with perhaps 1 foot of snow or less, and yet my driveway can wind up with more like 3-4 feet in places closer to the west side depending on how strong the winds / drifting is.

Last edited by three4rd; 01-16-2019 at 07:53 PM.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-16-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryNY View Post
The Pro 28 is a beast. I do not think you will ever go wrong with that machine.
Thanks...I took at look at that...perhaps a bit of overkill? The Pro is rated for commercial or heavy residential use. Perhaps the Deluxe 28 instead? Same width but rated 65 tons/hour instead of 79 for the pro. Of course, not as large an engine.

Last edited by three4rd; 01-16-2019 at 08:05 PM.
post #6 of 29 Old 01-16-2019, 08:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 128
At age 68 I understand about not knowing how long you'll be using it but that didn't stop me from buying a Deluxe 24 a year ago. BarryNY may be spot on suggesting the Pro 28. Another issue is storage, how much space you have to store it, and where (hopefully inside and dry). Ariens does have a "selector questionnaire" that may be of value to you. Some people select a smaller machine because they are short on storage and figure another pass or two on the driveway is not an issue to not have to stumble around it when not in use.

And of course how much snow you get matters. A guy in southern VA is not going to need as big a machine as a guy in Buffalo, NY.
post #7 of 29 Old 01-16-2019, 08:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 168
you almost need to go to the store and feel out the machines. if your driveway is long enough and wide enough a larger machine like a 28"+ machine is probably pretty good. i had a 30" machine with trigger steering and i always found it pretty heavy/bulky and hard to maneuver and squeeze between/around vehicles. it was free so i couldn't really complain but i bought a 26" machine last winter and have been really happy with how it feels and maneuvers compared to the 30" machine it was replacing. also play with the controls. i hated the controls on the 30" machine and how you would have to press down on each lever any time you wanted to make a change to anything. a lot of the newer machines seem like they have got pretty good controls on them.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #8 of 29 Old 01-16-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have adequate storage space inside my garage. More space available depending on what I decide to do with the Cub tractor. Thanks for all the replies...will definitely visit the Ariens dealer tomorrow and see what he has. I printed out all the downloads for the Platinum, Professional, and Deluxe so that I have an overview of the models in each of those 3 categories. I don't think I'd want to go as small as either the Classic or Compact.

I was thinking that a 28" width probably sounds like it'd be suitable for my needs...can't imagine I'd need to go larger. Amount of future snow is a crapshoot. Being a believer in global warming and climate change, I seriously consider that in the future there may be considerably less snow overall than was the case during the decades I've already lived here. Of late, I'm sometimes still mowing grass in early December and then by late February the perennials are starting to grow already.

Last edited by three4rd; 01-16-2019 at 08:48 PM.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-16-2019, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Nice thing about the Ariens is that quality retains it's value better. Seeing that you can get some pretty good sized drifts and if money isn't that important I'd opt for the Deluxe SHO Mod. 921048 as it has the bigger 306cc engine vs the standard deluxe 28 with a 254cc. When you really need the extra power it's nice to have it IMHO.
Nothing wrong with the PRO, really nice machine but like you say about maybe downsizing in the near future and at your (my) age the Deluxe might be easier to maneuver. The PRO is about 90 lbs heavier and a grand more expensive.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 29 Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I was thinking also that some extra money for the SHO might be worth it. All along...since I started looking at the Ariens website, I've sort of been leaning towards the Deluxe line. There are several variables to this whole thing...one being not knowing what's going to happen with my Cub Cadet engine. If the mechanic who currently has it is still willing to repair it, I already have a 42" blade that I've used since '81. So, until I hear back from him one way or the other, I'm wondering if an option might be to at least try the old Bolens Artic 70 that I have here and see how it performs before investing in a new blower. If the Cub engine overhaul is a no-go, then I think I'm definitely leaning towards buying a new snowblower and trying to sell both the Cub and the Bolens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page