LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-20-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
One hand interlock

Hi everyone , I’m trying to figure out if my ariens Pro 28 can have one hand interlock on the auger side. If I engage the auger then the drive I can let go of auger handle and the machine works with just the left handle. If ( when both handles depressed ) I let go of drive handle the auger continues but drive stops. Is this normal or does something need to be adjusted? I can’t find any info on it. Thank you in advance.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes SNOWJOE liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-20-2019, 12:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 252
Yes that is normal, It only locks one way with the drive lever, Not sure why they do it that way but that is how all the machines I have dealt with worked.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-20-2019, 06:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 5
I just got an older 1032 Ariens & the right handle has a bungee cord around it,this is a twin stick model w/a lever to throw the auger in gear,it works great allowing me to just use one hand.

2)Ariens 1032
Old Monkey Ward 724
JD 828
Ariens 524
Plan on flipping the smaller ones,next snow!
post #4 of 16 Old 01-20-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I wish I could flip it. I rather hold the right side down and use left hand to move chute while traveling
post #5 of 16 Old 01-21-2019, 08:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHL1313 View Post
I wish I could flip it. I rather hold the right side down and use left hand to move chute while traveling

I don't mind the interlock layout, but if I could change anything about the current Ariens controls, it would be to move the speed select to the left (at least for the disc drive machines) and the chute control to the right.

That would be more logical as far as hand usage. For shifting, release the drive clutch with left hand, use left hand to shift. For aiming while moving, release right hand (interlock keeps auger engaged) and aim with right hand. That's basically how it works now, but the current layout requires reaching across the whole dash to aim while moving as well as to shift unless you release the auger clutch to use your right hand.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-21-2019, 09:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
Quote:
Hi everyone , Iím trying to figure out if my ariens Pro 28 can have one hand interlock on the auger side. If I engage the auger then the drive I can let go of auger handle and the machine works with just the left handle. If ( when both handles depressed ) I let go of drive handle the auger continues but drive stops. Is this normal or does something need to be adjusted? I canít find any info on it. Thank you in advance.
When you release the drive clutch handle the auger should come to a complete stop. It needs to stop, this is a safety issue that can cause personal bodily injury.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	auger adjustment.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	152033  
post #7 of 16 Old 01-21-2019, 09:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Likes (Given): 10
Quote:
Hi everyone , I’m trying to figure out if my ariens Pro 28 can have one hand interlock on the auger side. If I engage the auger then the drive I can let go of auger handle and the machine works with just the left handle. If ( when both handles depressed ) I let go of drive handle the auger continues but drive stops. Is this normal or does something need to be adjusted? I can’t find any info on it. Thank you in advance.

I just bought a Deluxe 24 Ariens,, had a MTD for years and it was the opposite, and I thought the same thing too..I commented on this here on how its backwards..Boy, the comments I got, that its fine, I'm wrong..I'm rocking the boat....I should have my head examined ....Etc......I tried to reverse it,, but you need a reverse cam and locking tab, it can be done that way....Tried to contact them on this.. No response...Rather talk to a wall...

Last edited by SNOWJOE; 01-21-2019 at 10:46 AM.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-21-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
SnowJoe , believe me I’m thinking about making a reverse cam plate and switching the cams out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE2F5306-E946-425A-8EBB-513EC824FFB2_1548106676874.png
Views:	61
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	152069  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes SNOWJOE liked this post
post #9 of 16 Old 01-21-2019, 05:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ01915 View Post
When you release the drive clutch handle the auger should come to a complete stop. It needs to stop, this is a safety issue that can cause personal bodily injury.
On my older Ariens (circa 2000), I can release the drive lever, and stop moving, but keep the augers lever squeezed. This makes sense to me, at least. I can reach the end of a run (like approaching a wall), and let the augers keep going, to help finish clearing the snow from that area. If I stop the augers and drive at the same time, it leaves more snow un-thrown.

You guys are serious about this! That's not meant mockingly or anything. Thinking about fabricating parts to resolve it shows dedication. I also came from an MTD, and had a definite adjustment period where I kept squeezing the wrong handles, and turning the chute in the wrong direction.

I don't have remote chute-height control, so that doesn't apply. And I guess I don't have to make that many changes to the chute rotation while moving, so it hasn't been a big deal for me.

Good luck, I hope you can get it working the way you want! Please let us know what you figure out.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #10 of 16 Old 01-21-2019, 06:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Likes (Given): 10
Quote:
SnowJoe , believe me Iím thinking about making a reverse cam plate and switching the cams out.

DHL..Great minds think alike...The main problem are the cams.. You can't just flip them, they have to be made in the opposite direction I believe...I hope you can figure it out..The plate should be easier... Let us know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page