Governor question Ariens 939003 (ST520E) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-20-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Governor question Ariens 939003 (ST520E)

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions revolving around the governor. I recently replaced the carb, and while the engine still runs and throws snow, I don't think it runs like it should. I took off the governor lever (in hindsight not sure why) while replacing the carb and I'm suspecting I did not get it put back on correctly. I watched a few videos and set the governor by turning the throttle lever all the way up and tightening the governor screw as if it was pushing the throttle plate wide open.

First off, when I tighten the screw that goes through the governor arm, it gets semi-tight and then if I tighten it any more it loosens again. This makes me think there should be a nut on the other side of the governor lever clamp. Can anyone confirm if that is true? If so, this could explain all my issues if the governor clamp and governor lever can move freely of each other.

When I run the snowblower on low, it idles great. If I start throwing any snow on low, it bogs down, but doesn't fully die. When it bogs down, the governor arm does not move at all to open the throttle plate. This is my first reason to be skeptical of the governor not working as it should.

When I run the snowblower on high, it revs high, I'm not sure how to know if it's too high though. If I start throwing snow, it lowers rpms and runs great, but the instant I stop throwing snow, it revs high again. While looking at the governor arm it does not move between idle and throwing snow. I can screw out the "high-rpm no-load" screw on the throttle lever to fix the high revving, because the throttle lever might be overpowering the governor. It worries me to do this though, because from the scenario above, on low throttle, the governor isn't opening the throttle plate when it should. At some point if I screw this out too far there won't be any difference between low and high throttle, right?

What're your guys' thoughts?
Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-21-2019, 08:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 13
Watch Taryl Dactal's video

at the 9 minute mark he shows the adjustment.

I had a customer with the same thrower, governor was adjusted the wrong way and would die once it hit snow.

There are only two ways to adjust the governor, CW or CCW with the carb at full throttle.

Good Luck
Kenny
post #3 of 15 Old 01-21-2019, 08:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 13
And there IS a nut under the button head cap screw. If it tightens then loosens the screw is stripped.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-21-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyW in CT View Post
Watch Taryl Dactal's video
Yep, I watched this video a couple days ago to set it.

Quote:
And there IS a nut under the button head cap screw. If it tightens then loosens the screw is stripped.
This is most likely my problem. Is the nut attached to the lever clamp or could it have fallen off when I removed the screw? I will look in my screw bin tomorrow for a replacement to see if that helps.

Jake
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes KennyW in CT liked this post
post #5 of 15 Old 01-22-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
After inspection of my governor clamp, there was not a nut that the screw attached to. I grabbed a spare nut from my stock and added it on the backside of the clamp. I attached a picture to be clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GovClamp.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	152171  
post #6 of 15 Old 01-23-2019, 07:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 18
Problem solved??

New Jersey, Toro 8/24, Ariens 5/22, small engine repairs
post #7 of 15 Old 01-23-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejoe View Post
Problem solved??
Not exactly, but I do have more information. We got some snow today in Iowa so I took the black cover off the carb and I watched what was happening while snow blowing. Here are my observations. First, the snowblower died a few times while hitting larger amounts of snow. I was watching the governor while I could hear the engine bog down and the throttle plate was mostly closed, the governor was not attempting to raise the RPMs. I could however manually push the governor and open the throttle plate, so clearly it could if it wanted to.

When the engine is cold the governor seems to move freely on either slow or high speed. By move freely I mean if I move the governor lever with my hand, it will return wherever the springs are pulling it. On slow mode that would mean the throttle plate is closed, and on fast mode that would mean the throttle plate mostly open.

When the engine is hot and on slow mode, the governor is still able to move freely, meaning if I manually push the governor to open the throttle plate, it will return to mostly closed when I let go.

This is where it gets weird... When the engine is hot and on fast mode, the governor does NOT move freely. If I move the governor lever, it will just stick at whatever position I push it to. I noticed this because I had the snowblower on slow mode (snowblower off) and when I raised the throttle lever to fast mode, the throttle plate did not open. But if I pushed on the governor lever, the throttle plate would open. If I opened the throttle plate half-way it would stay half-way open. If I opened it all the way, it would stay all the way open, and if I closed the throttle plate, it would stay closed. It almost seemed like the tension of the spring between the throttle lever and the governor lever was pulling the governor at a weird angle and thus was not moving in conjunction with the throttle plate very well.

If there is friction inhibiting the governor lever from moving freely, would that cause it to not adjust the RPMs? Or would the governor just push past the friction?
Is the governor not moving freely a cause or an effect? By that I mean is something wrong with the governor itself when the engine gets warm? Or is something else wrong and the effect is the governor not moving freely? My first thought is that my throttle linkage (metal linkage between throttle plate and governor lever) could be in the wrong holes, but I am fairly confident it is the same as when I removed the carb. No idea about the previous owner though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Jake
post #8 of 15 Old 01-23-2019, 06:33 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 174
Yup, it would cause a problem. Look at that small thin spring that pulls on the gov lever, and you get a feel for how much force is involved . . . it's very small, so methinks you have found your issue. See if the area where the gov shaft exits the engine is gunked up, and perhaps try a drop of oil on that point. Verify that the adjustment is not wrong, and barring that, it's teardown time, since likely your gov has failed internally.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-23-2019, 07:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 51
Thanks (Received): 60
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 91
You have probably have watched them but doesn't hurt to look again.

post #10 of 15 Old 01-23-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandykej17 View Post
When the engine is hot and on fast mode, the governor does NOT move freely. If I move the governor lever, it will just stick at whatever position I push it to. I noticed this because I had the snowblower on slow mode (snowblower off) and when I raised the throttle lever to fast mode, the throttle plate did not open.....

Is the governor not moving freely a cause or an effect? By that I mean is something wrong with the governor itself when the engine gets warm? Or is something else wrong and the effect is the governor not moving freely?
Looking back at my previous post I am realizing I could answer my own question. Given that the engine was off and that the governor moved freely in slow mode, but could not move freely once in fast mode, then it must be caused by that spring tension. That is the only thing that changed between those two scenarios. What about that spring tension could cause the governor to not move freely? If we get more snow, I will run the snowblower without the spring (I suppose I could test the same thing keeping it on low throttle) and see whether the governor tries to change the RPMs when applying a load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Yup, it would cause a problem. Look at that small thin spring that pulls on the gov lever, and you get a feel for how much force is involved . . . it's very small, so methinks you have found your issue. See if the area where the gov shaft exits the engine is gunked up, and perhaps try a drop of oil on that point. Verify that the adjustment is not wrong, and barring that, it's teardown time, since likely your gov has failed internally.
What is the point of that spring? I'm kinda confused why there is a manual throttle adjustment if the governor is supposed to govern the RPMs. I will add some oil to the governor shaft area to see. I really don't want to tear apart the engine

Last edited by Vandykej17; 01-23-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in