Carburetor Karma. Engine needs full choke to run if at all. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-21-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Carburetor Karma. Engine needs full choke to run if at all.

I am on my 4th Carburetor for my Ariens 5524 with a Tecumseh engine. Im in Denver at 5800 elevation.

The engine works OK for a time (with a new Carb). But over time it needs more and more choke, until to keep running you need to push the red button. This sequence has happened on 2 of the carbs. The others would run for 10 minutes and then just quit, loaded or not.
I have removed the jet at the bottom of the bowl and cleaned it out and verified it was not blocked, but this did not affect the operation. I cleaned the spark plug (a bit of carbon), not wet, to no avail. In the early days I tried to rebuild the existing carburetor cleaning with seafoam to no avail.
Replacing the carb (Thank you amazon) works, but not for too many runs (3 storms worth).
As in Please help.
David (new Member)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-21-2019, 02:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Remove and clean the gas tank, replace the fuel line, though I don't use a fuel filter you may want to consider that. Drain your fuel container and clean out. I would put all the fuel in a 2l clear soda container to check for clarity, color, and water.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks davidspixx thanked for this post
post #3 of 17 Old 01-21-2019, 02:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
Remove and clean the gas tank, replace the fuel line, though I don't use a fuel filter you may want to consider that. Drain your fuel container and clean out. I would put all the fuel in a 2l clear soda container to check for clarity, color, and water.

All that. I'd even go as far as to remove the tank and clean it up. Put dish detergent in it, shake it around, empty and rinse it good, let it dry.

By any chance is it a metal tank that may have flaking inside? If so, either get a new tank, or you'll have to coat the inside of they one you have. Having coated tanks, it a messy, expensive ordeal. Could cost you $65, which I suspect is more than the cost of the tank.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-21-2019, 02:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 294
Replacing the carb gets it working for a period of How Much Time? 10 minutes...10 days...?

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-21-2019, 02:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
Replacing the carb gets it working for a period of How Much Time? 10 minutes...10 days...?

I'm betting it's something in the tank, and not the carb. When teh machine leans in a certain way, debris block the tank drain.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-21-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The last one lasted 3 snows. (IE 3 uses).
There was no evidence of anything in the carburetor jets or bowl though.
I will try the tank cleanout and inspection.
Thanks much
I had run out of ideas.

David
post #7 of 17 Old 01-21-2019, 03:38 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 175
Note that there are two small passages in the side (though the threads) of the main jet body, not just the hole the needle goes through. Very easy to miss, but if they clog, nothing works right . . . . Likely you have three perfectly good carbs on the shelf, and a need to refine your cleaning technique a wee bit.

I had a similar issue with reclogging, and ended up taking my tank off, flushing, airing out, blowing out, etc. until it was reliable again. New fuel line is mandatory as well - fine particles can flake off an aging line and clog those small passages instantly!

Last edited by tadawson; 01-21-2019 at 03:44 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-21-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks
I washed out the gas tank and hose with soap and water . (I will get a new hose soon when the next carburetor arrives). And yes there was dirt, even a small leaf in the tank. I was very hopeful...

When reassembled it did the same thing, IE start in full choke only, but then stop.

As there was dirt in the tank, it may be in the carb now as well. I had assumed the tank or carb would have a filter. Silly me. I will look for an inline gas filter to add. We are supposed to get 4 to 7 inches of snow tomorrow. Sigh.

From another comment, yes I had seen the small jet holes on the side of the main jet body and verified they were open.
And again, thanks for all the help. I was out of ideas. It looks like I am back to blaming the carburetor.

David
post #9 of 17 Old 01-21-2019, 06:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Gas filter is a good idea. If it's a metal tank, I'd be pricing a new one. If it's not too expensive, that's what I'd be doing. The tanks I coated, the materials cost $65 just to do one. Now, you can re-use two of the three chemicals you need (the cleaner and etcher) but have to buy new "paint" to do more. It's an epoxy system.

I don't know WHY they use metal tanks anymore.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-21-2019, 06:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
Gas filter is a good idea. ...
I don't know WHY they use metal tanks anymore.
As I mentioned in another thread today, make sure you get an appropriate fuel filter, for engines without fuel pumps. This Briggs filter is 150 microns, and suitable for a gravity-fed blower.

I think the paper-element filters are too-tight for engines without fuel pumps.

As for why metal tanks are being used so much now, I'm guessing cost. Injection molds are quite expensive. Maybe the equipment to form metal tanks is cheaper. I do think it's kind of unfortunate, it's re-introducing concerns that haven't been much of a factor for a while.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page