post #1 of 57 Old 01-24-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 7
Ariens Hydro Pro 28 - sufficient?

Hello guys,

I am considering to buy an Ariens Hydro Pro 28 and was hoping to get some input from some of you that already have the machine or something close to it. First I will try to describe what the machine would have to handle, then I will say why I, for the time being, have landed on the Hydro Pro 28.

I own a cabin in the mountains that we use about every second weekend in the winter months. Sometimes it snows a lot, like in the previous week it had snowed 2 feet. From the main road (shared with other cabin owners) I have a gravel road that is 1000 feet long (0.2 miles) and I have a large parking area for 4 cars and a terrace of about 700 sq ft. My initial plan was to buy a Deluxe 24DLE for the parking area and terrace and to use a local contractor that has a tractor with a back mounted snowblower to clear the road (see example picture below. The problem is that the contractor was not able to clear the road the last time we visited and he said it was because there is a lot of drift at my road and the snow was about 3 feet. His snow removal equipment was mounted on the back of the tractor and then 3 feet is just too much. I could off course use a different contractor but the guy I have an appointment with already clears the main road in the area and thus charges less to take the extra time to clear my road compared to one that has to drive all the way just to clear my road. The snow is rarely wet and heavy because it is so high up that the temperature is very cold and thus the snow light.

Instead of paying for a different contractor I have been thinking about buying a heavy duty machine to clear the road at times when there has been so much snow that the guy I have an appointment with cannot do it. I donít mind making a few passes and have prioritized maneuverability over width. I have considered Hydro Pro 28 and Hydro Pro 28 EFI. My choice for now is the Hydro Pro 28 because it has a larger fuel tank than the EFI model, I think the EFI technology is immature and believe the battery will not last long in the temperatures we have here. The machine will be stored inside, but not in a heated area. I have attached a picture from the entrance area so you have an idea if what kind of snow we have to deal with.

So, finally to my question. Is it possible to clear this amount of snow with a traditional snowblower or will I be disappointed if I buy one? I think it is a very big investment for something that will be used only occasionally, but still it would feel great not being dependent of other people to have access to our cabin. The best would be if I could rent a machine somewhere to test once, but I have not been able to find anyone for rent in my area.

Much appreciate any comment to my post.

Best regards,
Snowman_44
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	152359   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	152361  

Last edited by Snowman_44; 01-25-2019 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Fixed link to pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 01-24-2019, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
to SBF Snowman_44

Sounds a little odd that a 3 point snowblower (guessing) couldn't take on a 3 foot drift.

1,000 ft of gravel is a lot to do with a walk behind but it is doable IMHO. I think I might be looking at getting a rider if I had the room to store it though.
The first pass might be a little rough with a deep drift but once you get that done, like you mention you can take whatever cut works for you at whatever speed.
You just want to make sure a snowblower is set up high enough that you're not sucking up gravel as no machine likes that stuff and worst case can get behind the impeller and jam it.
The hydro pro would be a good choice.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 57 Old 01-25-2019, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you Kiss4aFrog!

Yes it sounds strange that he was not able to clear the road, but he argumented that since the tractor had to go into the snow/drift before the snowblower part, it was just too much snow. I saw that he had tried.

Last edited by Snowman_44; 01-25-2019 at 12:46 AM.
post #4 of 57 Old 01-25-2019, 06:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 247
Likes (Received): 290

If that is the actual pic of the 3 point blower, tractor man is using the wrong type for the "big" snow.

He is using an "inverted" blower which requires the tractor to be driven into/onto the snow before the blower hits it. This type works great for lighter snowfalls and instances when you have to back-in. Super efficient in places with rows of houses and very short driveways, like in a +55 retirement community.

Tractor man should be using the conventional type where the blower hits the snow first, not the tractor:

With only a 28" and that much snow and driveway length I think it would take all weekend to clear out but i guess once thats done its just easy maintenance in the following weeks?

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower

Last edited by tdipaul; 01-25-2019 at 06:43 AM.
post #5 of 57 Old 01-25-2019, 07:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdipaul View Post

If that is the actual pic of the 3 point blower, tractor man is using the wrong type for the "big" snow.

He is using an "inverted" blower which requires the tractor to be driven into/onto the snow before the blower hits it. This type works great for lighter snowfalls and instances when you have to back-in. Super efficient in places with rows of houses and very short driveways, like in a +55 retirement community.

Tractor man should be using the conventional type where the blower hits the snow first, not the tractor:

With only a 28" and that much snow and driveway length I think it would take all weekend to clear out but i guess once thats done its just easy maintenance in the following weeks?

Agree 100% with the explanation above. We live in Lake Effect Central NW Lower Michigan. Cleared many drifts of three foot or more with a 3PH New Holland 716C blower mounted on a Kubota L3010 tractor. Kubota has AG tires plus chains. No problems whatsoever in 20 + years of experience. Have never seen a drift that his rig could not get through, provided the driver knows how to approach it.

How big is his tractor?? Make and model number?? IME any kind of walk behind 'blower is the wrong tool for your road up to the cabin.

NB

Last edited by Natty Bumpo; 01-25-2019 at 09:02 AM.
post #6 of 57 Old 01-25-2019, 07:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
Saw a Kioti tractor with a blower mounted on the front and a nice warm cab.....would be perfect for this application.
post #7 of 57 Old 01-25-2019, 07:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
Hire a professional with the proper equipment. You will be wasting your time and money trying to do it on your own since you are not there to make multiple passes during the storm.
post #8 of 57 Old 01-25-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi Guys and thanks for your comments.

I don't know the make and model of the tractor, but it is a large machine like on the picture and the snowblower is inverted. There is not much I can do about what equipment he uses on his tractor, but I could hire somebody else to do the job. Only problem is that it will cost much more because they will have to drive a long way to get there. The guy I use now, used to own the land where the cabins are placed, so he is pretty close by and everybody is using him for the common cabin roads.

Anyway I need a snowblower for the terrace and parking spaces, so the question is if I pay the extra dollars for a Hydro Pro 28, will I then be able to clear the road too. From your comments, I guess not. So maybe I have to look for a different contractor after all.

I visited my local Ariens dealer today and they claimed the Pro 28 would do the job. They did not have any demo models for rent. It would have been very nice to test before buying. I will visit another dealer today and ask there as well.

BTW: It looks like the Hydro Pro EFI fuel tanks have been upgraded to a larger size. At least the one at my closest dealer claimed it was as big as on the carb model, and it looked similar in size too.
post #9 of 57 Old 01-25-2019, 08:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
Forget trying to clear the 1,000ft gravel road.Bad idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are so inclined going down this path, you'll need a tracked unit. it will also take you 4-6 hrs to clear that amount of snow.
post #10 of 57 Old 01-25-2019, 08:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 68
The road would take a while to do with a walk-behind (unless you want to take a 36" or something and re-power it to build a beast with lots of snow processing speed), so I'd try to avoid needing to use it for that. But the Pro 28 (hydro or disc drive) is a very solid unit and should work for everything else you need to clear (and would do the road in a pinch given enough time).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page