42 year old Ariens some help Please - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-27-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 64
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 7
42 year old Ariens some help Please

Ariens 1977 purchase ST 24 model 924032 serial 008001 (this is important #)


Hello I believe this Ariens is only on its' 2nd set of belts as my Dad was original purchaser, & I was original operator (LOL) & I have only 1 set of old belts.


1.) I am getting some discrepancies about the belt sizes original belt # 72098 I believe is 3/8 X 33... but I have found some to be 34 & 34 1/2 long???


2.) Original belt # 72108 I believe is 1/2 X 37..... but I have found some to be 36 1/2 & 37 long??
> what should the correct lengths be for each belt?
> 72108 may now be 07210800 & 72098 may now be 07232100 ??


3.) I also am running the original Friction Disc #3003. I am unsure whether I should buy an Arien's stamped Friction Disc or buy an aftermarket disc? I kind of doubt Ariens makes them. Any thoughts about this too?

Thank You For the help
ron3033
ron3033 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 01-27-2019, 05:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lakeville Ma
Posts: 1,707
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
Those 924 twin sticks had two different belt sizes....the small three lug wheels have shorter belts then the larger four bolt wheels. The difference is in the bucket attachment lugs on the big wheel buckets being moved upward to make up for the larger wheels.
cranman is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ron3033 thanked for this post
post #3 of 13 Old 01-27-2019, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Beverly,MA
Posts: 643
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
Take them off and bring them to a auto parts store. They usually have some kind of tool to measure them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belt.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	152491  
russ01915 is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ron3033 thanked for this post
post #4 of 13 Old 01-27-2019, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
 
Kiss4aFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 9,137
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Ariens friction disc # 00300300 or Stens 240-394 I get mine at Oreilly Auto Parts # 7-04211 for $15 and they come with a lifetime warranty. I've had no fitment issues or operational complaints. You will likely need to call or drop in and have one ordered from the distribution center in your area as they usually aren't stocked in stores.

Still working on the belts. Original numbers according to your serial number.
Auger belt 07210800
Drive Belt 07209800


.

.
Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiss4aFrog is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ron3033 thanked for this post
post #5 of 13 Old 01-27-2019, 07:03 PM
Senior Member
 
SimplicitySolid22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 530
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 51
Thanks (Received): 60
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 91
On72108 I have also seen a 1/2' X 36.7". Which actually might be perfect....Right down the middle.


https://www.ebay.com/i/132055871034?chn=ps
SimplicitySolid22 is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ron3033 thanked for this post
post #6 of 13 Old 01-27-2019, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
db130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 722
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
Ariens still very much makes the 3003 friction wheel. Why wouldn't they? The 924 series sold for over 3 decades.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by db130; 01-27-2019 at 07:28 PM.
db130 is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ron3033 thanked for this post
post #7 of 13 Old 01-27-2019, 07:45 PM
AL-
Senior Member
 
AL-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vermont/Quebec border
Posts: 349
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron3033 View Post
Ariens 1977 purchase ST 24 model 924032 serial 008001 (this is important #)


Hello I believe this Ariens is only on its' 2nd set of belts as my Dad was original purchaser, & I was original operator (LOL) & I have only 1 set of old belts.


1.) I am getting some discrepancies about the belt sizes original belt # 72098 I believe is 3/8 X 33... but I have found some to be 34 & 34 1/2 long???


2.) Original belt # 72108 I believe is 1/2 X 37..... but I have found some to be 36 1/2 & 37 long??
> what should the correct lengths be for each belt?
> 72108 may now be 07210800 & 72098 may now be 07232100 ??


3.) I also am running the original Friction Disc #3003. I am unsure whether I should buy an Arien's stamped Friction Disc or buy an aftermarket disc? I kind of doubt Ariens makes them. Any thoughts about this too?

Thank You For the help
ron3033
I don't know if you can get NOS or not, if you could the rubber might be frail. I bought some NOS pads for my old Simplicity and the rubber cracked.
AL- is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 01-28-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 64
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
Ariens friction disc # 00300300 or Stens 240-394 I get mine at Oreilly Auto Parts # 7-04211 for $15 and they come with a lifetime warranty. I've had no fitment issues or operational complaints. You will likely need to call or drop in and have one ordered from the distribution center in your area as they usually aren't stocked in stores.

Still working on the belts. Original numbers according to your serial number.
Auger belt 07210800
Drive Belt 07209800


.
Hi Thank You 72098 belt (3/8 X 33) was listed at Ariens Parts store as 07232100 I am worried it may be an error or wrong size.
https://parts.ariens.com/partlookup_...m?aribrand=ARN


belts are listed this is 7hp 008001 serial that makes a difference 2 models that year for 7hp. Not sure what is different.
ron3033 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 01-28-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 64
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL- View Post
I don't know if you can get NOS or not, if you could the rubber might be frail. I bought some NOS pads for my old Simplicity and the rubber cracked.

Good point about the rubber on the disc. Thanks for the insight.
ron3033 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 01-28-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 64
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
Those 924 twin sticks had two different belt sizes....the small three lug wheels have shorter belts then the larger four bolt wheels. The difference is in the bucket attachment lugs on the big wheel buckets being moved upward to make up for the larger wheels.


I have to go out and look at the wheels now ... but it is -18 Fahrenheit LOL! I guess that is why there is 0 to 8000 and 8001 and above. There are are other parts different too when I looked through the ariens parts store
https://parts.ariens.com/partlookup_...m?aribrand=ARN


Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
ron3033 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome