Ariens ST824 weak power, and throtling. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-27-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 0
Unhappy Ariens ST824 weak power, and throtling.

Hello!

Iv got an Ariens from around 2000 I think that I have used the last 10 years. One of those with electric start and in steel.
Have to admit in those years I havent done much to it. Used it only 5-15 hours a year and put it back in the shed. Always worked, but maybe a bit worse than optimal since I have nothing to compare with. Not even done any adjusting.

Dident have use for it last year, so its been sitting for 2 years now.
This year however when i took it out it wil not work right. When I put the chocke off it starts idling alot and wil not keep power. Maybe 3 seconds high rps, and then way down 1 sec and up again.

Hoping for some good ideas. And yes I wil take some time to lube it and take care of it when i can, but right now I hope I can get it running ok
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-27-2019, 09:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 140
Sounds like the gas went bad in the carburetor and it needs to be cleaned. Try draining all the old gas, including that in the fuel lines and carburetor bowl (you're going to have to do that anyway) and refill with fresh gas and use a fuel stabilizer like Seafoam or Stabil. If you're very, very, lucky it'll start and run fine. If not, and more probably, it needs the carburetor cleaned. Lots of videos on youtube show how to do that. Look for donyboy76.

Edit to add: It is not a hard job.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes durwan liked this post
post #3 of 18 Old 01-27-2019, 09:26 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 202
Check for a disintegrating/collapsing fuel line as well.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jsup, durwan liked this post
post #4 of 18 Old 01-27-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVguy View Post
Sounds like the gas went bad in the carburetor and it needs to be cleaned. Try draining all the old gas, including that in the fuel lines and carburetor bowl (you're going to have to do that anyway) and refill with fresh gas and use a fuel stabilizer like Seafoam or Stabil. If you're very, very, lucky it'll start and run fine. If not, and more probably, it needs the carburetor cleaned. Lots of videos on youtube show how to do that. Look for donyboy76.

Edit to add: It is not a hard job.
I see.
Wel there was little fuel in it. I added about 0,5gallons of fresh fuel and carbcleaner additive. Cant I just let it run with that, or is the old fuel that important to get out even mixed with new fuel?
Seems a cleaning of the carb is smart, but I need to order some parts if thats the case, and its more a summer job. Hoped to have it running now

Btw, how about those amazone carburators. Any good? Only 14$

Last edited by durwan; 01-27-2019 at 09:59 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-27-2019, 09:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 634
It would have been preferable to get the old gas out entirely. If it has a drain button on the bottom of the carb bowl (unlikely) you could use that to at least drain the old gas out of the carb, and fuel line. If not, you could maybe loosen the carb bowl slightly, maybe enough to drain some gas from it?

You can likely buy a replacement carb off Amazon/eBay for about $15, if you want a quicker solution than diving into that carb and cleaning it.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 18 Old 01-27-2019, 10:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by durwan View Post
Cant I just let it run with that, or is the old fuel that important to get out even mixed with new fuel?
Absolutely it is that important. The old fuel almost certainly has water in it (alcohol absorbs water from the air) and water does not burn. Ever.

Quote:
Seems a cleaning of the carb is smart, but I need to order some parts if thats the case, and its more a summer job. Hoped to have it running now
You may not need to order parts. Look at the videos, it is not that hard, it is a 20 or 30 minute job. Okay, maybe an hour for the first time you do it. But more likely than not you will not need new parts. Just be careful not to tear the bowl gasket, if that tears you will need a new one and will not be able to use the machine until you get it.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-28-2019, 08:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
It would have been preferable to get the old gas out entirely. If it has a drain button on the bottom of the carb bowl (unlikely) you could use that to at least drain the old gas out of the carb, and fuel line. If not, you could maybe loosen the carb bowl slightly, maybe enough to drain some gas from it?

You can likely buy a replacement carb off Amazon/eBay for about $15, if you want a quicker solution than diving into that carb and cleaning it.

Quote:
I see.
Wel there was little fuel in it. I added about 0,5gallons of fresh fuel and carbcleaner additive. Cant I just let it run with that, or is the old fuel that important to get out even mixed with new fuel?

Btw, how about those amazone carburators. Any good? Only 14$

i would crack the nut on the bottom of the bowl and pull that and spray it out as best you can with carb cleaner . im guessing this model has the fixed nut and not the adjustable jet on the bottom of the bowl.

i am betting that nut that holds the bowl on has little holes in it and i am sure it needs cleaned out.

that 5 minute job is worth a shot

Ariens ProPath 21 208cc ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Craftsman SS ???
Honda HS621 GX160 ....Honda HS624 GX160
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jsup, durwan liked this post
post #8 of 18 Old 01-28-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I see.
Checked it and it seems to be an fixed nut carb with a drainage button(spring loaded screw/button?)
But If I use that "drainage button", wil that drain only the carb or also continue draining the tank/lines?

Thinking I should maybe put some shutt of valve on it, so i can run the carb dry every spring before setting it away. Anyone done that?
Il also be looking on changing the lines aswel, thanks. BTW, is there a petrolfilter somewhere on this that might need changing aswel?

I thinks its an 2007 model.
Model: 932304
Serial: 000239

Last edited by durwan; 01-28-2019 at 11:36 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-29-2019, 07:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 634
The drainage button will drain the carb, as well as the fuel line and tank. You can drain the entire fuel system if you hold it long enough.

Yes, adding a fuel shutoff and running the carb dry at the end of the season is a very good idea, and a common approach.

My Ariens (2000) has a filter screen inside the tank, at the exit, before the gas goes into the fuel line. You could look inside your tank, it might have something similar.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Likes Dannoman liked this post
post #10 of 18 Old 01-29-2019, 08:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
For reference, I put one of those cheap Amazon/eBay carbs on earlier this year. It works fine, but does not have the bowl drain, so once the weather warms I will likely clean the original carb and put it back on.

Another alternative that might work would be to drain as much of the existing old/new gas as you can, then follow up with Sea Foam. That is, empty the gas tank, then drain as much as possible using the drain button. Pour a can of Sea Foam into the gas tank, then use the drain button until the Sea Foam starts coming out. Let it sit for a couple of hours, then use the drain button and let a little out. Repeat the wait/drain process for as many cycles as you have patience for - the idea is to get fresh Sea Foam cleaning out the gunk in the carb. Once done, drain the remaining Sea Foam, fill with fresh, stabilized gas, and see how it goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page