First use: Ariens Path-Pro SS21 136 21" 938030 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 02-03-2014, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 102
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 274
Likes (Received): 148
First use: Ariens Path-Pro SS21 136 21" 938030

I've had this machine for a couple weeks and today was my first chance to try it. We only had about 3" of snow, but it needed to be cleaned up so it doens't ice over tonight and cause surprises in the morning.

The machine does an outstanding job of cleaning down to bare pavement - - see photo below. The engine starts on first pull and settles into smooth and fairly quiet operation. There is no throttle setting, it's just one speed. I can only compare this unit to my previous Toro CCR2000 machines and the Ariens feels heavier and it's not thrown around as easily as the small Toros, which I'll miss.

While we didn't have much snow, the unit has very good power, especially when it hits a heavy pile of snow - - this thing really throws the snow a distance. Appears to be quite a bit superior to the Toro in that regards.

The handle bars are longer than the Toro so you feel like you are quite a bit further away from the front edge of the machine making it feel less nimble than the Toro. I guess I'll have to get used to that.

I think the belt might be slightly loose. I'll see if that can be adjusted. The fuel cutoff seems to be stuck. I can't turn it more than a couple of degrees.

Does anyone else find the choke control very odd on these engines? Both my new Ariens are the same: you can rotate the choke CW or CCW and it has some effect in both directions The center position is choke open. Maybe it's that Chinese thing at work again

This cheapie version ($400) does not have the remote chute control. I thought that might really bother me, but maybe it won't. I think the add-on remote kit is $80 Not sure if I'm going to spring for that.

All in all, quite the value for $400!

We are due some man-size snowfalls later this week and again on the weekend. I'll have a better chance to assess how this unit does in serious snow and I'm not planning on being disappointed

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids

Last edited by uberT; 02-03-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 02-03-2014, 10:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
I like mine as well.

My chokes on both my Path-Pro and Pro 32 are normal. One way is full on and the other way is full off.

My gas valve was hard at first but once it got some fuel in it it was fine. It's just a little sticky from being dry.

I have the 208cc one, but I probably could have got away with the smaller one. I just didn't know how much power it was going to have and thought I would rather error on the side of too much than not enough.

- 2013 Ariens Pro 32 (926039)
- 2014 Ariens Path-Pro (938031)
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Backpack Leaf Blower (for the real small snow events)
post #3 of 38 Old 02-04-2014, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK, thanks JR.

Yeah, the power (torque) is quite surprising on this engine. The town plow came by again after I had finished so I went back to clear the muck plowed onto the driveway apron. This Ariens literally blasts thru the heavy, dense snow like it was nothing. This heavy snow would have stalled the Toro unless I had been crawling along. The Ariens is ready to do battle!
post #4 of 38 Old 02-04-2014, 08:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
As far as starting, try this...it works great for both of my Ariens. They start first pull and don't have any stumbling around at all.

Fuel > On
Ignition > On
Choke > 3/4
Prime twice
Pull
Vroom.

On my Path-Pro I normally have to leave it on 3/4 choke for a bit (10 seconds or so) after it starts and then move it to 1/2 choke for a bit and then finally turn the choke off completely. If I don't do this and move it immediately to choke off it will stumble some until it warms up a bit. Doing what I describe above should have it start on the first pull and run w/o stumbling or loading up. This method works on my Path-Pro, my Pro 32, my uncles Pro 28 and my friends Compact 22 (which has the identical 208cc I have in my Path-Pro). I'm thinking your issues with your choke are you are not giving it enough time to warm up and when you turn it off it starts to stumble which makes you think the choke is on when it's truly off. I'm also guessing, if you are using it with the choke in the middle, you are operating it with partial choke on the whole time. I would not make a habit out of doing this.

One other thing, I never start it on full choke, as if I do the engine will stumble as soon as it starts. Doing things as I described above should start the engine first pull without any stumbling around (running lean) or loading up (running rich).

Last edited by JRHAWK9; 02-04-2014 at 10:45 AM.
post #5 of 38 Old 02-05-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
No, I'm not having any starting issues at all. This sucker fires up on first pull every time. Very simple. What I was asking about is the various settings on the choke. I've honestly never seen anything like it and both these new Ariens seem to be identical in terms of the rotary dial. 921030 pictured below since photographing is much easier :

I'm going to call Position 0 the run position or no choke.

I think Position 1 is half choke.

I think Position 2 and 3 are full choke.

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
post #6 of 38 Old 02-05-2014, 08:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberT View Post
No, I'm not having any starting issues at all. This sucker fires up on first pull every time. Very simple. What I was asking about is the various settings on the choke. I've honestly never seen anything like it and both these new Ariens seem to be identical in terms of the rotary dial. 921030 pictured below since photographing is much easier :

I'm going to call Position 0 the run position or no choke.

I think Position 1 is half choke.

I think Position 2 and 3 are full choke.
yeah, I was just referring to using the choke in relation to starting and running. I still firmly believe you are running your engine on partial choke when you think it's fully off. 2 should be full choke and 3 should be choke 100% off.

I have two new Ariens and my buddy has a new Ariens (Compact 22) and all three of those are like I state. If yours will not run while on choke position 3 WHEN WARMED UP, then I believe the tuning is set too lean or you are at a higher elevation where the air is thinner.

If you would take a look at how the choke works, it would be almost impossible to make it work the way you state. The choke plate is directly linked to the knob.

You can also look in the manual, I'm sure it will tell you how the choke works and what the positions are.

- 2013 Ariens Pro 32 (926039)
- 2014 Ariens Path-Pro (938031)
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Backpack Leaf Blower (for the real small snow events)

Last edited by JRHAWK9; 02-05-2014 at 09:02 AM.
post #7 of 38 Old 02-05-2014, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHAWK9 View Post
yeah, I was just referring to using the choke in relation to starting and running. I still firmly believe you are running your engine on partial choke when you think it's fully off. 2 should be full choke and 3 should be choke 100% off.

I have two new Ariens and my buddy has a new Ariens (Compact 22) and all three of those are like I state. If yours will not run while on choke position 3 WHEN WARMED UP, then I believe the tuning is set too lean.

If you would take a look at how the choke works, it would be almost impossible to make it work the way you state. The choke plate is directly linked to the knob.
Ok, so you're saying Position 3 (fully CW) is no choke and fully CCW, Position 2, is max choke. I'll got back and look again. I'm going to run the 921030 for the first time later this morning, JR.

When I got to Position 3 on the Path Pro, the engine immediately starts to die like it's running way too rich.
post #8 of 38 Old 02-05-2014, 09:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
One of the two extremes should be choke off and the other will be full choke. Take a look in your manual, it should say which is which.

If it stumbles and the engine starts to smoke, it's too rich. If it stumbles with no smoke it's too lean. Both a rich and lean condition will cause it to stumble.
post #9 of 38 Old 02-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 398
Likes (Given): 184
Likes (Received): 931
I assumed the owners manual would fully explain what the four choke positions are, and why they are numbered 3, 0, 1, 2, but sadly, it does not:

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/04535800A_ENG.pdf

My guess:

Position 0 - partial "mostly closed" choke, the normal "start" position.
Position 1 - slightly more open, move here for a few seconds after starting.
Position 2 - then move here, Choke open, the normal "run" position.

Under normal circumstances, those should be the only three you use.

Position 3 - Full choke, should never need to use, but might need to occasionally, for starting.

The number sequence seems odd, but if I am correct, it might make sense:

3 - Full choke (lets say "100% choke")
0 - partial choke, mostly closed (start position) (lets say "75% choke")
1 - partial choke, mostly open, a little more open from position zero. (lets say "25% choke")
2 - choke open, "No choke" - the running/operating position. (lets say "0% choke")
(those percentages are just a guess..)

So normally you should go in sequence 0 to 1 to 2 when starting and operating,
and you shouldnt need to use position 3, but its there in case its needed.

Disclaimer..the above is a GUESS!
not having seen one of these machines in person, I have no idea if I am right or not.

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 02-05-2014 at 09:36 AM.
post #10 of 38 Old 02-05-2014, 09:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post

So normally you should go in sequence 0 to 1 to 2 when starting and operating,
and you shouldn't need to use position 3, but its there in case its needed.

Disclaimer..the above is a GUESS!
not having seen one of these machines in person, I have no idea if I am right or not.

Scot

I agree.

Although your guess is just mirror image of my guess...lol

I based my guess on the fact that he uses position 0 as "no choke" which I assumed is the closest to being choke off (1/4 choke). I wouldn't think it would run very good at 3/4 choke. This is why I guessed at position 3 being choke off as opposed to your guess of position 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page