LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-30-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Delixe 28 SHO Leaving Rows of Snow

I purchased a Deluxe SHO in November of 2016. This was my very first snowblower but after living in the south for 20 years I knew I did not want to shovel all of the snow we get here. I definitely agree with many comments regarding the auto steer. This feature does not work as intended and is a workout for my arms as I try to get the blower to go straight. I keep my equipment well maintained so I will probably be dealing with the steering issue 10 years from now.

To address my original question. If we have more than 3 or 4 inches my blower leaves a small row of snow with each pass, much like I would call "corn rowing" with a lawnmower. Is this normal or is there any adjustment I can make to keep this from happening? So far my only solution is to take half rows and that makes the job take twice as long.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-30-2019, 12:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 112
I worked on one that did that , and found that the bracket from the bucket to the auger head was adjusted to the extreme left and had the left outer auger/screw almost touching the bucket side while the rt side was almost a 1/2 away.
It was the lft side doing this , so I loosened the bracket bolts on the bucket and re-centered the augers the same distance on each side/ clearance to bucket sides and tightened it all up and the customer reported that it no longer did this.

May help for yours..
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bondo 287, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 18 Old 01-30-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottstodo View Post
I worked on one that did that , and found that the bracket from the bucket to the auger head was adjusted to the extreme left and had the left outer auger/screw almost touching the bucket side while the rt side was almost a 1/2 away.

It was the lft side doing this , so I loosened the bracket bolts on the bucket and re-centered the augers the same distance on each side/ clearance to bucket sides and tightened it all up and the customer reported that it no longer did this.

May help for yours..

Thanks, I will look at this when the temps get above zero here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #4 of 18 Old 01-30-2019, 09:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 128
Regarding the auto-turn giving you an upper body workout, some people have said that using the non-abrasive (i.e., "plastic") skids have successfully addressed that problem. You can buy them directly from Ariens or Jack's Small Engines has them cheaper. Others have found them at either Home Depot or Lowes, might save you time if one is local and you're in a hurry.

There are also aftermarket skids that may work better for you too. The ones below are the Ariens ones.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ja...riens/72603100
post #5 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 06:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
My Ariens is a 24", but it does this sometimes. As best I can figure out, it just isn't processing & flinging enough snow per second, even though the engine isn't slowing down.

I either:
- slow down (no fun)
- take a narrower cut (also not ideal)
or
- take a full cut, and leave some overflow behind. Then I go back and make cleanup passes in 6th gear.

Though this seems inefficient, the last one seems quickest to me.

To ask the basics, is it always on the same side of the machine? Are your auger shear pins all intact, so that the augers are locked to the shaft? If you broke 1 shear pin, you'd be likely to get this problem on one side of the machine.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVguy View Post
Regarding the auto-turn giving you an upper body workout, some people have said that using the non-abrasive (i.e., "plastic") skids have successfully addressed that problem. You can buy them directly from Ariens or Jack's Small Engines has them cheaper. Others have found them at either Home Depot or Lowes, might save you time if one is local and you're in a hurry.

There are also aftermarket skids that may work better for you too. The ones below are the Ariens ones.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ja...riens/72603100

The Home Depot here has the plastic skids for sale for the same price as Jack’s. I may need to try the out.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #7 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
My Ariens is a 24", but it does this sometimes. As best I can figure out, it just isn't processing & flinging enough snow per second, even though the engine isn't slowing down.

I either:

- slow down (no fun)

- take a narrower cut (also not ideal)

or

- take a full cut, and leave some overflow behind. Then I go back and make cleanup passes in 6th gear.

Though this seems inefficient, the last one seems quickest to me.

To ask the basics, is it always on the same side of the machine? Are your auger shear pins all intact, so that the augers are locked to the shaft? If you broke 1 shear pin, you'd be likely to get this problem on one side of the machine.

I usually do the 6th gear cleanup lap. The first thing I checked was the shear pins, everything is intact and spinning.

post #8 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 07:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
Slow speed down, take a bite of 3/4 bucket or less. Check shear pins, both augers are spinning, check height of scraper bar and skids.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 09:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 112
As far as the auto turn workout goes here is a few things to check on your machine
1) tire air pressure , it has to be the same in both tires.
2) Set up squareness, You can do this on concrete if you know that it is completely flat and level.
I do this on a 1/2 sheet of plywood. make sure tires ( aired up) and bucket are on the plywood. Loosen the skids and pick them up to where only the scraper blade is resting on the wood. Loosen the 4 bolts- 2 per side ( 1 full turn donot remove!!!) that hold the blower housing to the drive assy. Now tip the unit back using down pressure on the handle bars and then let it back down gently to come to rest on the scraper blade, ( do not drop it or pick up on the handles just let it easily come to rest) now tighten the 4 bolts. This puts the machine in square.
With the blower still on the plywood insert a strip of wood under the scraper blade that is the thickness that you want to set your skid height at ( ie; 1/4' or 3/8" etc. like mine now is set for 3/4 as I have a gravel drive ) then lower your skids to meet the plywood keeping them flat against the wood an tighten the bolts good so the stay adjusted and it is done.
3) keep in mind that if the scraper blade is set so low that it can grab objects on one side or the other (like I mention gravel drive) it will try to turn the that side. that is why I run mine a little higher, and it is a lot easier. I keep a few different thickness of of wood handy just so I can adjust the skids to the driveway base and weather conditions.

Hope this helps
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bondo 287, Mavaholic liked this post
post #10 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Delixe 28 SHO Leaving Rows of Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ01915 View Post
Slow speed down, take a bite of 3/4 bucket or less. Check shear pins, both augers are spinning, check height of scraper bar and skids.

This happens even in the slowest speed. Taking half buckets helps but just takes more time. Shear pins are good, augers are spinning, scraper bar set at 3/8” on asphalt driveway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in